G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

why can't i beat my friend's '06 330i?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 07:47 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by ghost30
Just my experience. Stock for Stock, I've pulled on a few AT G35's pretty substantially from 60-100. So much so, that I thought that the guys cars were malfunctioning. I have an 05 and he had an 03 AT. I think that combination of factors gave me the edge on top end (more horses).
With the auto if you don't "punch" the gas, but slowly tip in and then floor it the car doesn't downshift to as low of a gear.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:18 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SixFive
I stopped worrying about 6MT's when I scorched a Z twice in one day at the track. A good AT laucher will win 90 out of 100 times. I see it over and over.

As far as the feel of the pull by an auto or 6mt. Wouldn't most agree that the 5AT will feel stronger becasue of torque multiplication? This is not like the old days where you get a 1 second loss to the crappy auto option.
U have no idea what u are talking about. Stock AT ratios are crappy compared 6MT gear ratios. Even if u shift little slower than an 5AT u are still going to have advantage because of where ur rpms are. I have made people like u shut their mouth when they talk out of their asses by actually proving them in real life and not just typing useless crap on the net like u.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The BMW 330i I believe are 200 pounds lighter than our G's.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U have no idea what u are talking about. Stock AT ratios are crappy compared 6MT gear ratios. Even if u shift little slower than an 5AT u are still going to have advantage because of where ur rpms are. I have made people like u shut their mouth when they talk out of their asses by actually proving them in real life and not just typing useless crap on the net like u.
OOO yer gonna make me shut my mouth - dude my car does the talking at the track on film and on slips. Is that not real life enough for your little fantasy of self worthlessness...

Like I said - 1 in 10 times you MIGHT be able to launch it right to even have a change to take advantage of those awesome superior ratios. Go have your manual tranny circle jerk somewhere else

Old 09-18-2006, 09:55 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just curious sizfive, if you were to run 10 times, what would your launch average out to be?

My average would be a low 2.2 to a high 2.1.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:56 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ghost30
Just my experience. Stock for Stock, I've pulled on a few AT G35's pretty substantially from 60-100. So much so, that I thought that the guys cars were malfunctioning. I have an 05 and he had an 03 AT. I think that combination of factors gave me the edge on top end (more horses).
I guess I'd have get on a Bimmer website and what people really are pulling 1/4 mile wise because Motor Trend compared an 06 6AT 330i and 05 5AT G35 sedan and they both ran identical ETs and MPHs (14.7s@96mph). The 6MT 330i's seem to consistently be pulling rather slow 14.6-14.7s@96mph too. Maybe the 6AT 330i is much like the 5AT in the G35 in that it does take some skill to understand how to get the most power and performance out of the auto. You simply can't mash the gas and let the auto do it's own thing. If you do, then it's going to be about .3 seconds slower.

If I faced a 330i auto or 6MT at the strip, I'm pretty certain I'd walk it.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
Actually, if you do the math, you'll see that the 5ATs gearing is ideal for NA performance in the 1/4 mile. I've ran 1.5" shorter drag radials a few times and the DRs gave me about a 3.52 ratio. My car was actually about .1 seconds and 1.5mph slower with the shorter ratio because I was forced to shift into 4th about 200 feet short of the finish.

I'm with SixFive, I've been to the track a few times to know that my 5AT is more that competitive with the 6MTs G35s and even the 350Zs. On the same exact day at the track, a fellow 6MT G35 sedan owner was running. We were running similiar ETs, MPHs, and 60 foots. He ran a 14.3 in the lower 98mphs with a low 2.1 60 foot as his best and I did a 14.3 in the upper 97s. Sometimes he'd get 97mph and I'd get 98mph and vice versa. We both came to the conclusion there was no measurable difference. The 350Z that were out there (and all the 350Zs I've seen prior at the track), consistently ran 14.2-14.4s@97-99mph. Interestingly, the 5AT were usually a few ticks quicker.

I'm fully aware that with traction (I'm talking DRs/slicks), the 6MT should always be the quicker car. However, street tire to street tire and good driver to good driver and mod to mod, I think it's going to be within a car length, either way. The 6MT is ALWAYS going to "feel" like the quicker car because it does have deeper gearing and it has torque shock on each shift. By the seat of the pants, it will feel quicker. However, when you get the slip, it will probably prove differently.

Take a look in the 1/4 mile section of this site and you'll see that the 5ATs dominate as the quickest NA G35s (sub 14.5s).

Old 09-18-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Just curious sizfive, if you were to run 10 times, what would your launch average out to be?

My average would be a low 2.2 to a high 2.1.
According to my slips of my last outing, my 7 passes averaged upper 2.1s except for one that was a super weak lower 2.3 because I didn't brake torque at all.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:04 AM
I run 2.19 to 2.3. If someone goes to the track as much as trey, they will probably be pretty good at launching, although I was reading about a pretty bad day you had filled with mis-shifts and what not. Consistency is not so easy with the G's/Z's 6MT tranny according to the many folks I've talked with and raced against.

Even so, Trey probably owns everyone on the site with his NA mods and getting what, 13.8's at 104 or something? Awesome times. I would never state that I could beat a 298 rev up with Motordyne treatment.

And having just driven my Bro in laws solstice, even as my knees hit the steering wheel, I was back in love with stirring up the gear box. The wife and the traffic make it just a dream...

Old 09-18-2006, 11:42 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SixFive, what are your 1/4 times?

Old 09-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The wife and the traffic make it just a dream...
I think when I get old and my knees go bad is when I will drive an auto.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Staff Alumni
I run 2.19 to 2.3. If someone goes to the track as much as trey, they will probably be pretty good at launching, although I was reading about a pretty bad day you had filled with mis-shifts and what not. Consistency is not so easy with the G's/Z's 6MT tranny according to the many folks I've talked with and raced against.

Even so, Trey probably owns everyone on the site with his NA mods and getting what, 13.8's at 104 or something? Awesome times. I would never state that I could beat a 298 rev up with Motordyne treatment.

And having just driven my Bro in laws solstice, even as my knees hit the steering wheel, I was back in love with stirring up the gear box. The wife and the traffic make it just a dream...
I went back and re-read my post, and realize that I came off the wrong way. I wasn't calling you out, or challenging you, or anything like that; I was simply curious what kind of launches you put down.

And I am fully capable of some bad launches. Although I might average low 2.2's, I occasionally will have a 2.4 or something like that. And I have plenty of bad runs as well; I do mis-shift more than most people I know.

I don't dispute in any way the consistency factor the AT has over the MT. I've had this same discussion with friends on several occasions.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Your knees will go bad if you drive the Philly to Raleigh Corridor. 3 hours in stop and go happened too many times for me, and my wife will never get how to drive a stick...anyway

My best time is a 14.2 at 97.x. That was against a 6 speed coupe that had very similar mods and ran a 14.8 at 94.x.

See it here: http://www.kptechnologies.net/chris/chris_race.htm

The next best time was on a hot day against a 350 where I ran 14.4 at 95.8 or so while the Z ran 14.9 at 94.9. He jumped me off the line and I pulled on him and beat him to the line after passing him easily.

Note that I am on stock A/S turanzas and had 30k miles on them when I ran the z and while times where good, they could have been better given that I had a 2.3 60'.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:18 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
DaveB we always had this arguement about 5AT being faster than 6MT. All i can say is i would love to run against ur car with my "inconcestant" 6MT. Can u explain me how 2 g35 autos I raced one coupe one sedan lost me by 3 cars from 60-100???? Both of them were tiptronic mode and in 3rd gear. I agree 0-60 is not a notcable differenc but after 60mph it doesn't look good. From 0-60 I usally have a CL on autos. 3rd and 4rth gear the pull is very noticable.
I will try to make a vid of me racing a auto 350z which is lighter and arguebly faster than auto G35 and pm the vid.

Last edited by Klubbheads; 09-18-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Staff Alumni
I find that on many things, my experiences differ from yours. When Cheryl and I race, I'm 4mph ahead of her at the 1/8th. At the 1/4, I'm still 4mph ahead.

And I've learned to totally disregard what happens on the street. Cheryl and I will cat-n-mouse every now and then, and she has no trouble keeping up. Same thing when my buddy had his stock mini s. Keep in mind we're not lining up side-by-side here.

On another note, the last time at the track I beat another coworker in his stock 02 WS6 6 speed. I had a passenger, *and* a misshift. He went flying past me when I missed the shift, and I slowly pulled him and cross the line just before he did. That run proved nothing, other than the fact that he needs more seat time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: why can't i beat my friend's '06 330i?