|
Nav -- Garmin vs Tom Tom

Which one is better

Thanks

Old 05-14-2006 | 03:19 PM
garmin c330

Old 05-14-2006 | 03:49 PM
Correction....

The Garmin Nuvi is the best of the bunch. Frankly, it's better than most factory installed NAV's.

Old 05-14-2006 | 04:04 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Originally Posted by BobbyG123
Correction....

The Garmin Nuvi is the best of the bunch. Frankly, it's better than most factory installed NAV's.
^^^+1 Garmin has better/accurate maps

Old 05-14-2006 | 05:03 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
I went in expecting to buy TomTom.

Just wanted a simple plug & play unit that works.....
Ended up with c330 Garmin.

Entire N.Amer is preloaded.
With TT you have to change memory sticks.

Very happy with it no regrets re TT.
My G has AVIC-D1 so I use it in my other vehicles & for travel.

Last edited by InTgr8r; 05-14-2006 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-14-2006 | 05:06 PM
Canada, eh?
Premier Member
Garmin is by far the best GPS Manufacturer. I work for www.GPSCity.com. It all depends on what you are looking for. I myself have worked extensively with the Nuvi 350 and it is a very good unit. The SP C series are also very good. If you want a bigger unit with a big screen I would recommend the Garmin 7200 or the 7500. If you have any other GPS questions ask me I'll be glad to help.
Just an FYI the Tom Tom SUCKS. We've had some in stock for over a year and barely sell any.

Old 05-14-2006 | 06:32 PM
Have a Garmin Streetpilot c330 and love it. This baby can get me anywhere, she tells me where to go and if I miss the turn she makes the correction right away and does not give me a talkin to for making the wrong turn .
Garminella rocks (as I call her ).
Wayne

Old 05-14-2006 | 06:55 PM
Garmin definitely makes the best units. I've used their aircraft systems and they are far better than anything else out there. The street ones are the best ones made too. Tried some out at a store.

Old 05-14-2006 | 07:14 PM
OK, let me throw a wrench in the public opinion works here. I owned the Garmin StreetPilot 2760 and the Magellan Roadmate 700. Now, I know these units are a year or two old, but the TomTom blows these units away.

FWIW, TomTom has always been lightyears ahead of these other two companies with GPS. And furthermore, some comments above are completely wrong. I have the original Tomtom (now they have the 300 and 700). My unit came with complete maps of North America and Canada. So there is no switching memory cards. Also, FYI, I am a pilot and have used aviation GPS. Garmin has been stellar in this market, but IMO have failed until recently (Nuvi) with car nav.

I have heard very good things about the Garmin Nuvi, but up until this point, Garmin and Magellan have lagged far behind. This is coming from someone who has owned and used both (as well as the Tomtom).

As far as factory systems go, I currently own the best, in my wife's Honda Odyssey. It is far superior to other more expensive manufacturers units, including Infiniti, Mercedes Benz, BMW, etc. The Honda/Acura system is touch screen, voice activated, and even incorporates a backup camera into the high res screen.

The Tomtom comes damn close to the Acura system. No Garmin or Magellan unit I've tried even comes close (although I expect the Nuvi to do well).

With maybe the exception being the Nuvi, and as owners of all three, I would HIGHLY recommed the Tomtom.

Last edited by DP03; 05-14-2006 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-14-2006 | 07:26 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by DP03
FWIW, TomTom has always been lightyears ahead of these other two companies with GPS. And furthermore, some comments above are completely wrong. I have the original Tomtom (now they have the 300 and 700). My unit came with complete maps of North America and Canada. So there is no switching memory cards. Also, FYI, I am a pilot and have used aviation GPS. Garmin has been stellar in this market, but IMO have failed until recently (Nuvi) with car nav.
Sorry but I disagree
The TomTom that competes with the c330, (same price point)
absolutely requires changing maps when traveling across border between Canada & USA.
TT Link

Old 05-14-2006 | 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Sorry but I disagree
The TomTom that competes with the c330, (same price point)
absolutely requires changing maps when traveling across border between Canada & USA.
TT Link
Well, the original Tomtom that I have includes Canada. Maybe they changed it to include more POI, etc in the US. But who knows. And I'm pretty sure my Canada maps aren't as detailed (side streets) as the US maps.

That being said, this is not an issue for most buying GPS in the US. Fact is, the Tomtom is the easiest to use, bar none. I've tried the others, and there is no comparison.

Old 05-14-2006 | 08:54 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
With all the above said.... Feel free to do some more online research and do a side-by-side comparision at some local retail outlets.

I personally have the Nuvi and love it

Old 05-14-2006 | 09:51 PM
I think you can't go wrong with any of the units. BUT, after my research last year I also chose the Garmin over the Tom Tom. One factor that also helped make my decision is that I have used a Garmin Gps Map Chartplotter in my boat for about 5 years and it performs flawlessly. When the time comes to replace my Marine unit it will be Garmin again .
Just do the research and get one with the features that you want.

Old 05-14-2006 | 11:02 PM
I had Garmin 2720, it better than TomTom, it tell you how far before turn Tom Tom won't.

Old 05-14-2006 | 11:14 PM
^^wow...

well i'm a sales manager from Circuit city especially in the car audio department... i can tell you which two we sell the most are the tom tom 300 and garmin c330, just because they are simple, inexpensive, and very accurate to use. garmin gives you free updates (maps and stuff), tom tom you have to paid for the updates. those are price at around 499 right now because the new gmnc340 is out and tom tom 510 is out.. these two units replacing old current models. the gmn c340 is pretty cool because it alerts of left or right turn by street name. we can't compare the gmn 2720 or magellan 760 because of the price differences and those other unit is capable of nav traffic updates.

well hopefully that lets you decide which unit you are going for. my preference i loved them both. i use the tom tom 300 for a trip to ga from ma before i bought the g and i love it. was not worry of getting lost at all. my buddy at work have the gmn330 and he loves it too. so i can tell you right now between those two units you don't have to worry at all. oh yea. the gmn nuvi is a very nice unit, but with mp3 player and other features.. not neccesary for a $800 unit..

kenny

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nav -- Garmin vs Tom Tom