G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Why no revised or updated transmission for the 07 G35?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why no revised or updated transmission for the 07 G35?

Nissan/Infiniti has spent a lot of time and $$$ in redesigning the VQ35HR, yet they still have the same old 5-speed attached to it. I'm a little baffled as to why they couldn't at least put an extra lower gear in the transmission for improved gas mileage.

Not a rant; just a thought.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:27 AM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
think about this -- gas mileage vs performance which would you want out of a G?

Old 09-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by da mayor
think about this -- gas mileage vs performance which would you want out of a G?
In this class, how about both, IE: BMW 335i and IS350. He makes a good point here; and if anything I would hope at least they do away w/the ridiculously slow shifts points.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
How bout you stop being a p*ssy and get the 6MT ? Unless you have a wife whos not willing to learn, or maybe you have a disfunctional left leg ?

Old 09-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by RLampke
In this class, how about both, IE: BMW 335i and IS350. He makes a good point here; and if anything I would hope at least they do away w/the ridiculously slow shifts points.
I would agree with you, if they could have developed a more fuel efficient tranny without adding a lot of cost (and hence price). Also, 6 speed auto trannies aren't necessarily better than 5 speed auto trannies.

From Autoweek:

Track-day drivers take note: Another on-track advantage was on the backside, No Name Straight, where both the German and Japanese competition found their six-speed automatics shifting up just when you didn’t want that, mere feet before the liftoff point. The Infiniti’s five-speed automatic may just have better gearing for the course, but its manual mode allows the driver to hold a gear right up to the rev limiter, not trying to out-think the driver.

From Edmunds:

"In the age of the six-, seven- and now eight-speed automatics, the Infiniti's transmission, with only five forward gears, may seem behind the times. But the five-speed's proper gearing, attentive action and ability to match revs perfectly when manually downshifted makes the transmission a standout and the perfect choice for this very capable sport sedan. It delivers all of the hard-driving advantages of BMW's complex sequential manual gearbox (SMG) without any of that transmission's drivability issues."

What's the more economical argument?

A) 335i and IS350 have 6 speed auto trannies, and get 2 mpg better than G35.

B) G35 has a 5 speed auto tranny, and is $3000 to $8000 cheaper than IS350 and 335i.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by RLampke
The IS gets no where near its EPA gas mileage estimates, and the BMW has turbos.

Besides, the transmission has been reworked with shorter first and second gear ratios for improved accleration, has a different final drive ratio, and faster shifting. The auto wasn't lifted right from the last generation car.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:18 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ElixXxeR
The IS gets no where near its EPA gas mileage estimates, and the BMW has turbos.

Besides, the transmission has been reworked with shorter first and second gear ratios for improved accleration, has a different final drive ratio, and faster shifting. The auto wasn't lifted right from the last generation car.
...and you own an IS to confirm this...? Yes mileage will differ according to driving habits, but I have been unsuccessful trying to get over 20 MPH on my '05 driving it as slow as possible - so yes a little more MPG @ $3.10 Gal is certainly not asking much considering the rest of the competition.

Since we are tossing around magazine clippings, here's one the 335i: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=2204

"...Everybody is going to love this engine. The 335i goes like Hell, ambles about town with effortless ease and delivers unimpeachable fuel economy. (I measured 28 mpg over 50 miles on a green engine.) Historically, I’ve leaned towards smaller engined BMW’s; I enjoy listening to those wonderful straight sixes wind out. I have to admit that this motor altered my paradigm in a major way. The six-speed automatic gearbox is also a revelation. The aluminum paddle shifters may look like they were designed by HR Giger of Alien fame, but the transmission upshifts quickly and blips the throttle for perfectly timed downshifts"

Think that tosses the TT comment out the window

Old 09-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by jrock65
I would agree with you, if they could have developed a more fuel efficient tranny without adding a lot of cost (and hence price). Also, 6 speed auto trannies aren't necessarily better than 5 speed auto
Agreed it takes more than just adding gears to address this issue, but that is what is being discussed here, since the VQ was so re-worked. Perhaps MPG will be improved - they do mention a 10% gain in efficiency, but that could mean anything.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
currently it's saying the 2007 G35 sedan 6mt will get 19/27 but again it will differ -- right now on my G i get around 380 full tank w/ a heavy foot.

and don't compare the new BMW's b/c if you ever owned one you know that engine isn't as strong and reliable as the VQ's

Old 09-14-2006, 01:57 PM
The 5-speed is taken from the M35, updated with downshift rev matching.
Nissan will never have a 6-speed (except there is one truck 6-speed FWD in development); all the investment is going into the CVT path.
With the 10% fuel improvement, the 2007 G35 is still rated at 19/26 mpg.

What Infiniti needs to offer is the G25.
Nissan already builds Skylines with the 215hp VQ25DD's for Japan. Hopefully they'll offer the VQ25HR in the US perhaps in a year or two. A VQ25HR should make some respectable 230hp.
From Nissan Japan's website, the VQ25 gets 29% better mpg than the VQ35.
BMW has a 3.0L base engine, Lexus a 2.5L, and Mercedes a 2.5L for fuel economy.
If you want mpg, take a look at the 2007 Altima 2.5L, 26/34 mpg, best in class.

Last edited by nse70; 09-14-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by da mayor
and don't compare the new BMW's b/c if you ever owned one you know that engine isn't as strong and reliable as the VQ's
I owned a 2001 M3 so I'll have to differ w/you on that one. I've had way more issues w/my G then the M3 I had.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:33 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by chilibowl
How bout you stop being a p*ssy and get the 6MT ? Unless you have a wife whos not willing to learn, or maybe you have a disfunctional left leg ?
Yeah go for it...

Why would anyone get an auto anyway

Old 09-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Whoa! Guys, chill out!

I'm just making an observation. No need to turn this in a flame war.

Originally Posted by chilibowl
Rather harsh words....

Were they being directed towards me?

Old 09-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Yeah go for it...

Simple. Personal preference.
Some people such as myself don't feel the need to row through the gears.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:42 PM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Yeah go for it...

drive a 6mt in traffic every day for a decently long commute... auto's do have their benefits

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why no revised or updated transmission for the 07 G35?