Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 01:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti Studio On Wheels Review

Originally Posted by Edmunds.com

Stereo Evaluation

System Score: 8.5

Components: "Infiniti Studio on Wheels" is the official name of this stereo system. It features Bose components and is an extra-cost option for the G35. It's included as part of larger options packages — most costing in excess of $3,000 — that offer many desirable features in addition to an upgraded stereo. The system consists of three speakers mounted in each front door including a 10-inch woofer, a 1-inch tweeter and a 3-inch mid/high-range speaker — another 3-inch speaker resides in the center of the dash as well. Each rear door has a 6.5-inch speaker and there's another 10-inch woofer in the rear package shelf. Total speaker count is 10. The upgraded system also includes a Bose digital amplifier mounted under the rear package shelf.

Performance: Bose says the goal of this new Infiniti sound system is to deliver detailed, lifelike sound. In many ways it has succeeded. Thanks to those three 10-inch woofers mounted throughout the car, bass response is deep, sharp and well controlled. Kick drums sound especially impressive, and even certain singers with a low frequency to their voice come across with a richer texture. Midrange is also very, very good with excellent sound presence. The vocals cut through nicely, which ultimately makes most types of music pleasant to listen to. Infiniti provided a Stevie Ray Vaughan CD with the car, and those gruff vocals combined with a raw, pure guitar to showcase the sound system perfectly.

On some harder rock tracks, separation is only slightly less than perfect, and at very high volumes some distortion can creep in. Otherwise, the optional sound system is a treat to listen to and flexible enough to give an acoustic Johnny Cash track a certain intimacy while at the same time delivering the needed punch of a driving Reliant K song.

The interface is simple and easy to use thanks to a revised and more upscale-looking center display screen. However, there's no midrange adjustment, and we'd like to see some customizable features like an equalizer similar to what Harman Kardon systems offer. Of course, those Harman Kardon stereos come in much more expensive cars.

Best Feature: Sharp, lifelike bass that doesn't sound messy.

Worst Feature: Lack of customizable settings.

Conclusion: An excellent-sounding stereo. Its only flaw is a lack of customization. — Brian Moody
It's no Mark Levinson Premium Surround Sound Audio System, but I guess it'll do.

Old 09-17-2006, 09:51 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I am really looking forward to hearing this new stereo in the 07.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Does anyone know if there is an MP3 jack in either the standard or upgraded stereo?

This seems like a feature that is in most cars these days - but I have not seen any mention of it.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:43 PM
No MP3 jack listed anywhere ... just the 9G hard drive instead

Old 09-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by S L I C K
It's no Mark Levinson Premium Surround Sound Audio System, but I guess it'll do.
Sounds like it's light years beyond the current system

Old 09-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Sounds like it's light years beyond the current system
When you start from the bottom, you can only go up.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:27 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TBone24
No MP3 jack listed anywhere ... just the 9G hard drive instead
I thought there were RCA Audio L/R and a Video input as well located in the armrest...? Perhaps that was just in the pre-production model, for there were pics of such inputs.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by shaneotool
Does anyone know if there is an MP3 jack in either the standard or upgraded stereo?

This seems like a feature that is in most cars these days - but I have not seen any mention of it.
My dealer said that while there is no MP3 jack, there is supposed to be a WMA connector....so perhaps with an adaptor, there is the ability to plug in an iPod. If ture, that's encouraging ( I would not want to use my FM transmitter to connect an iPod).

Old 09-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by RLampke
I thought there were RCA Audio L/R and a Video input as well located in the armrest...? Perhaps that was just in the pre-production model, for there were pics of such inputs.
Yes, the the RCA inputs in the armrest are standard on all models.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by canuck
Yes, the the RCA inputs in the armrest are standard on all models.
What're the limitations on the connection? Like when the car is in motion can you only use the audio jacks and the video only functions w/ the e-brake on or is it always available?

Old 09-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by DaCurryman
What're the limitations on the connection? Like when the car is in motion can you only use the audio jacks and the video only functions w/ the e-brake on or is it always available?
Definitely not sure on that one......but I promise I will give you the answer in about 55 days.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Definitely not sure on that one......but I promise I will give you the answer in about 55 days.
canuck, how does it feel to know you only have 55 days left until your baby arrives?

I bet they feel twice as long right?

Old 09-19-2006, 10:34 PM
Traveling Administrator
There is no question that I am excited for my new ride to arrive, but almost two months is still fairly long ways away. The final week before I pick it up will be torture though.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:00 PM
There is no question that I am excited for my new ride to arrive, but almost two months is still fairly long ways away. The final week before I pick it up will be torture though.
I'm as excited as you. Well, not really, but I can't wait for your thoughts.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:11 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ElixXxeR
I'm as excited as you. Well, not really, but I can't wait for your thoughts.
Canuck, Yeah your gonna have to write us a review

As long as your review isnt BMW biased like all the othe big reviews out there

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Studio On Wheels Review