G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

MSRP price for 1.5 years?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the 1 1/2 year bit is way over the top, but I don't think they'll have any problem commanding MSRP for the first few months or so. It's not a question of whether Nissan is in trouble (they're not) or whether you're a good negotiator or not. It's all about supply and demand. If the rush is anything like it was on the coupes in late 02 / early 03, I think you'll have to pay MSRP to be one of the first through the gate. The smart money says wait or look for an unbelievable deal on a barely used model with only 1800 miles (like I did).

Of course if demand does NOT exceed supply from the beginning, then you're all right, you will definitely be able to negotiate a discount.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by vt_maverick
I think the 1 1/2 year bit is way over the top, but I don't think they'll have any problem commanding MSRP for the first few months or so. It's not a question of whether Nissan is in trouble (they're not) or whether you're a good negotiator or not. It's all about supply and demand. If the rush is anything like it was on the coupes in late 02 / early 03, I think you'll have to pay MSRP to be one of the first through the gate. The smart money says wait or look for an unbelievable deal on a barely used model with only 1800 miles (like I did).

Of course if demand does NOT exceed supply from the beginning, then you're all right, you will definitely be able to negotiate a discount.
I'd take it a step further and introduce the elasticity of demand. With the number of vehicles posted by a dealership on the other thread, I get a feeling those cars are not spoken for, i.e. the post to generate interest. If the Infiniti is selling at list next month, and it's well known that the competition, such as the BMW 335/328 are being discounted, that makes the gap smaller. When the Infiniti is list, there will be some that substitute a BMW for an Infiniti. When the Infiniti is sold at a discount, then the gap widens, and there may be little to no substitution. Nobody makes purchases in a vacuum anymore, not with nearly perfect information being available pre-sale at websites such as kbb or edmunds etc.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by GoofyG28
Update: So the GM wrote to me today and claims that this is their last "order bank" day where they can order/customize models for Nov. Whether this is true or not, she offered to take down my order without a deposit, then we'll discuss pricing later -- with no obligation to purchase when the car arrives. She either believes that I really do want to do business with her, or she's just bluffing. I think it's the former, but can you ever really trust salespeople, especially someone whom you've never dealt with?

Either way, I've ordered a Lakeshore Slate 6MT with Premium, Nav, splash guards, and cargo net. We'll see what happens!
That is a strange way to do business, no? That means there isn't cut-throat demand on the car. Sounds very laid back, take your order and talk about money at some other time?? To me the test would be can you order the car, and have it arrive exactly as you wanted? Or does some other car arrive, usually with features you may not have wanted?

With the BMW they want a refundable deposit ($500 up-front, $500 after a VIN is assigned to the order), but at least you can register with bmwusa.com and then actually see that your order is in progress and which dealership the vehicle will go to. You can still walk away even after the car has reached the dealership in 8 wks., unless you got some weird-a** color combo. To me, business is business--one has to put some sort of commitment be it as small as a $500 refundable deposit up-front. Remember the old days when we rented apts. in college? Was it a pro or con to rent without a lease agreement? When prices were rising, a serious con.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:11 PM
I don't even know why people pay MSRP or close to it for automobiles. The bargaining power of buyers is high in the automobile industry due to price transparency, high competition, and low switching costs. IMO you're getting ripped off if you pay MSRP or close to it for a mass production vehicle. If you're comfortable paying MSRP or close to it for Infiniti's volume vehicle, go for it because it's your money.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:25 PM
I think the car will sell for close to MSRP for a long time, just like the current model did. The early un-sold units will surely sell for MSRP at the non-California dealerships. A $2500 discount on a G is not going to happen very often for a few years. The margin that Infiniti gives is just too small to offer that type of discount and still make a fair profit.

As far as Nissan as a company, they are forecasting a flat sales year for Infiniti. That means that there is going to be a monster quarter for Infiniti division. The sales numbers by model line actually look pretty good. I would not bet against Nissan with all of their new product coming...Ghosn has pulled it out every year since he has been with Nissan.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:57 PM
There was hardly any competition when the 1G Infiniti G35 came out. Now we have the 2007 Lexus IS, 2007 BMW 3 Series, 2007 Acura TL Type-S, etc. Unless you're in an area with one Infiniti dealership or you suck at negotiating, there's no way you should pay MSRP or close to it. Knowledge, patience, and negotiating skills will get you a good deal on the 2007 Infiniti G35.

Last edited by S L I C K; 10-11-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Knowing that a 2k6 sells for below invoice would be nagging me if I felt I were overpaying for the 2k7 G35. In such a scenario one could get really burned by a) overpaying b) having the resale suffer If we agree a BMW costs 6-7 grand more, I hate to waste 2 grand and cause that differential to be only 4-5 grand because I couldn't drive a hard bargain.

The thing that surprises me though is it does seem difficult to get a 6MT G35S from what I've read here--instead of caving in, I'd suggest if the dealer wants list, see how much you are willing to spend in the end and consider a 328 or 335 which we know is discounted. A great selling point on the Infiniti is value--if that's gone, it changes the ballgame.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Update: So the GM wrote to me today and claims that this is their last "order bank" day where they can order/customize models for Nov. Whether this is true or not, she offered to take down my order without a deposit, then we'll discuss pricing later -- with no obligation to purchase when the car arrives. She either believes that I really do want to do business with her, or she's just bluffing. I think it's the former, but can you ever really trust salespeople, especially someone whom you've never dealt with?

Either way, I've ordered a Lakeshore Slate 6MT with Premium, Nav, splash guards, and cargo net. We'll see what happens!
Another update: I've scheduled a test drive of their model car this Saturday in Oakland. It's a Slate Blue auto (I want an 6MT). I'll let you all know my impressions of it. Maybe she'll let me take photos, too!

Old 10-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why do I always get the crappiest Internet salespeople? After Peninsula Infiniti offered a black 6MT at MSRP, and I rejected that price, they didn't even bother to try to negotiate:
As is it seems we are unbale to help you, maybe you would prefer to test drive the car at the dealership that offered you the discounted price.

Many thanks.

Brian Fortune

Old 10-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Why do I always get the crappiest Internet salespeople? After Peninsula Infiniti offered a black 6MT at MSRP, and I rejected that price, they didn't even bother to try to negotiate:
As is it seems we are unbale to help you, maybe you would prefer to test drive the car at the dealership that offered you the discounted price.

Many thanks.

Brian Fortune
LoL. Salesmen ...

Old 10-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by S L I C K
LoL. Salesmen ...
That was so cheesy, makes it seem like buying an Infiniti is no different than buying a Nissan. When you think about how much something like an M45 Sport costs, I'd never buy from someone who acted like the G35 is take it or leave it. It's definitely a leave it at MSRP.