G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Winter Tire and RIM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Tire and RIM

Hi everyone, I just put my deposite on the G , But I can't decided between whether I should be getting RWD with Tourning package or Sport Model, these are the Canadian model and package. The difference is around 3k. I have until Monday to decide which one I should be getting. Any one has any comment for Sport or non-sport? I need help to decide which one to get.

Any way, this is not the purpose for this post. I am wondering what winter tire and rim I should be getting for Sport and non-sport. What is the minimum size I need to get to clear the bigger brakes on the Sport model? I am guess 17"? Can I just get any 17" or will some 17" won't fit? And for the non-sport model, can I go down one size and get 16" for winter?

Since I am living in Toronto. I also need some good winter tire. For now, I am looking into Dunlop Winter Sport M3, Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero, or Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2. I currently have the Michelin Pilot on my Tiburon, and this set of tire serve me well for the Toronto winter weather. But since the G is RWD, I am not sure if I should get the Bridgestone Blizzak or not.

thanks.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:19 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghozt
Hi everyone, I just put my deposite on the G , But I can't decided between whether I should be getting RWD with Tourning package or Sport Model, these are the Canadian model and package. The difference is around 3k. I have until Monday to decide which one I should be getting. Any one has any comment for Sport or non-sport? I need help to decide which one to get.

Any way, this is not the purpose for this post. I am wondering what winter tire and rim I should be getting for Sport and non-sport. What is the minimum size I need to get to clear the bigger brakes on the Sport model? I am guess 17"? Can I just get any 17" or will some 17" won't fit? And for the non-sport model, can I go down one size and get 16" for winter?

Since I am living in Toronto. I also need some good winter tire. For now, I am looking into Dunlop Winter Sport M3, Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero, or Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2. I currently have the Michelin Pilot on my Tiburon, and this set of tire serve me well for the Toronto winter weather. But since the G is RWD, I am not sure if I should get the Bridgestone Blizzak or not.

thanks.
You definitely cannot run 16", they will not clear. You will have to run 17" to clear your brakes. You should be fine running any one of those winter tires around the GTA. I will be running Blizzak WS-50 225/55R17 on the stock 17" rims on our 07.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
You definitely cannot run 16", they will not clear. You will have to run 17" to clear your brakes. You should be fine running any one of those winter tires around the GTA. I will be running Blizzak WS-50 225/55R17 on the stock 17" rims on our 07.
As someone who hails from Miami as opposed to good ole Massachusetts where I will have the G35 - do you think the Blizzaks are necessary as opposed to the stock A/S tires or say, Yokohama ADVAN S.4.'s? I was curious about that from people who have actually driven in snow and such, especially since I'll be driving a G35x as opposed to a Sport or other straight RWD through both backwoods of western MA and some possible major snowfalls, but also a lot of highway stuff between Worcester and Boston.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by wavelengths
As someone who hails from Miami as opposed to good ole Massachusetts where I will have the G35 - do you think the Blizzaks are necessary as opposed to the stock A/S tires or say, Yokohama ADVAN S.4.'s? I was curious about that from people who have actually driven in snow and such, especially since I'll be driving a G35x as opposed to a Sport or other straight RWD through both backwoods of western MA and some possible major snowfalls, but also a lot of highway stuff between Worcester and Boston.
IMO, winter tires are worth every single penny over an all season tire when driving in snow. It is not the traction so much, it is braking. I run Blizzaks on my 03 Sedan as well and you really notice how much better braking ability they offer over all seasons. If I were you, I would purchase winter tires and just run your all seasons in the summer. Just my opinion.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by wavelengths
^^^+1 If most of your driving is on major roads with occassional snow I would go with a performance snow tire such as the Dunlop M3. I have run Blizzaks on my G35X for the last two winters and they are unbelievable. The new dedicated winter tires are so much better than all seasons in the cold, icy, snowy wintry conditions we get. Because of their special rubber compounds their stopping and traction abilities are far superior to most all season tires.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+2...Blizzaks are awesome. I have 235/45/18 on my RWD car and they stick to the cold roads covered in ice or snow. You can drive like a retarded depressed drunk, and you'll be safer on those than the OS tires.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:14 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Guys, don't the blizzaks rapidly lose their ice traction capability turning them into more of an all season after maybe 1/3 wear of available tread life? I haven't owned them but someone I know told me that???

Old 10-29-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by RBull
Guys, don't the blizzaks rapidly lose their ice traction capability turning them into more of an all season after maybe 1/3 wear of available tread life? I haven't owned them but someone I know told me that???
That is true Deane, I have read that, I can't remember how far down they must wear before they start losing the fantastic ice grip. That is why I reccommended a performance rated tire such as the Dunlop M3 if he driving mainly major roads that are free of major snow accumulations most of the time. (Quote " If most of your driving is on major roads with occassional snow I would go with a performance snow tire such as the Dunlop M3")
In my case the Blizzaks fulfill my needs since I feel they are the best (besides Nokians) and we get a lot of crappy weather in my area.
On a side note I stopped in at a local tire dealer yesterday to get a price on Blizzak WS-50 225/55R17 tires and he quoted me $205 Canadian installed and balanced per tire. I have lots of time to shop around, the new G won't be here for a while.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:45 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
That is true Deane, I have read that, I can't remember how far down they must wear before they start losing the fantastic ice grip. That is why I reccommended a performance rated tire such as the Dunlop M3 if he driving mainly major roads that are free of major snow accumulations most of the time. (Quote " If most of your driving is on major roads with occassional snow I would go with a performance snow tire such as the Dunlop M3")
In my case the Blizzaks fulfill my needs since I feel they are the best (besides Nokians) and we get a lot of crappy weather in my area.
On a side note I stopped in at a local tire dealer yesterday to get a price on Blizzak WS-50 225/55R17 tires and he quoted me $205 Canadian installed and balanced per tire. I have lots of time to shop around, the new G won't be here for a while.
Thanks for clearing that up Wayne. Around here it's normally more of a black ice issue than with so much snow. We've had the Arctic Alpins before and they were great in both snow and ice but sounded like an airplane takeoff at certain speeds particularly in the wet.

G/L with the shopping and the wait on the new G.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:37 AM
GEE35X where did you get the quote for the Blizzak? If you are in the GTA, try steelcase? I purchased my last set of winter from them and many of my friends also purchase tires from steelcase as well.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Ghozt
GEE35X where did you get the quote for the Blizzak? If you are in the GTA, try steelcase? I purchased my last set of winter from them and many of my friends also purchase tires from steelcase as well.
That price was from a dealers in Kincardine, thanks for the tip, I purchased Nokian tires + rims at Steelcase a few years ago for my Maxima. I'll give them a call. It's a bummer since I have perfectly good 16 " Blizzaks on alloys in my basement and they won't fit the new 07.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:02 PM
She snowed last night in Calgary. I have stock M 18" rims loaded with blizzaks to go along with the sport 19s and summers.

40 minutes later and the winters are on. Man I love my impact wrench.

Grab yourself a floor jack, an electric impact wrench and a torque wrench and do the changing yourself. Within a year you'll pay off your tools with what you save having the dealer do it.

Last edited by Jeff Flowerday; 10-29-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:09 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday
She snowed last night in Calgary. I have stock M 18" rims loaded with blizzaks to go along with the sport 19s and summers.

Grab yourself a floor jack, an electric impact wrench and a torque wrench and do the changing yourself. Within a year you'll pay off your tools with what you save having the dealer do it.
How much snow did you get Jeff?

Old 10-29-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday

+1 on the DIY install Jeff, I usually do my own and a friends every spring and fall.
Sounds like you are set up nicely for the winter.

No snow for us yet but a friend sent this pic from yesterday morning near Bancroft.

Attached Thumbnails Winter Tire and RIM-winter-coming.jpg  

Last edited by GEE35FX; 10-29-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by canuck
How much snow did you get Jeff?
5 inches and she's still coming down.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Winter Tire and RIM