G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Cant Decide 07 G35Sport or 07 G35x - Help!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Long enough to let the dust settle on the coupe intro.
It's going to be tough waiting, but I figure I'll be lookin' at a Christmas present next year.
Hmm, that will be going on 4 years for mine the following spring.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Canadian perspective eh?

Live in cold Canada, Calgary near the Rocky Mountains & it is very hilly in Calgary being so close. Had the 03 with snows & it worked pretty good, now 05X with factory & it seems even better. My 07 decision is easy here as were have snow from Nov - March, so definetly a X. In talking to the dealer they sell 20:1, X :non-X, so the resale value would kick you if you went non-X here.

I totally agree with posters above as I have now had both, you do not notice it unless you need it & then it is a good thing! I love pulling up at a light in the winter knowing you can "floor it" and not lose control & still beat almost everything off the line including SUV's.

The other thing that made my decision easy, is going up a hill last winter near my house a $130,000 745iL was stuck sideways spinning & could not make it up the hill. I thought why would I spend that kind (or even G kind) of money on a car & be stuck in the middle of a road when FWD Sunfires blow by you.

No decision here....... 07 X.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:43 AM
N50
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Calgary_G
Live in cold Canada, Calgary near the Rocky Mountains & it is very hilly in Calgary being so close. Had the 03 with snows & it worked pretty good, now 05X with factory & it seems even better. My 07 decision is easy here as were have snow from Nov - March, so definetly a X. In talking to the dealer they sell 20:1, X :non-X, so the resale value would kick you if you went non-X here.

I totally agree with posters above as I have now had both, you do not notice it unless you need it & then it is a good thing! I love pulling up at a light in the winter knowing you can "floor it" and not lose control & still beat almost everything off the line including SUV's.

The other thing that made my decision easy, is going up a hill last winter near my house a $130,000 745iL was stuck sideways spinning & could not make it up the hill. I thought why would I spend that kind (or even G kind) of money on a car & be stuck in the middle of a road when FWD Sunfires blow by you.

Nice perspective. It also snows here (michigan) from Nov. to March. I tested several X's and I have nothing but praise for them in snowy conditions. Sure, they may be a little slower off the line (than the sport), but its not going to be anything you'd notice. Plus with the good reviews about the new X, I think its a no-brainer to purchase an X as your daily driver if you live in the upper portion of North America. It would save you a lot of headaches and money (don't necessarily need snow tires) in the winter.

Jeez, I can only imagine what the 745iL driver was thinking. Snow + Hill + RWD = stuck.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:49 AM
Rated M

The X is definitely a great choice for some.

On the 745il I guess that's a sacrifice you make for enjoying the other 340 days of the year when that car works spectacularly. Someone with that level of car might be better served just renting something for the predicted harsh days... or have a cheap winter driver.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:55 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by RBull
The X is definitely a great choice for some.

On the 745il I guess that's a sacrifice you make for enjoying the other 340 days of the year when that car works spectacularly. Someone with that level of car might be better served just renting something for the predicted harsh days... or have a cheap winter driver.
Well I wish I could afford a hot summer car & then afford another car for the winter but in my budget I would have to drive as you suggested a winter beater, & there is no way I would drive a crapy car in the winter... no heat, no realibility, no performance for 5 months? non thanks.

To each his own & if I lived where there was zero snow or very little then I would go sport, but when I wake up for work & it is -30 & 6" inches of snow fell overnight my boss does not say you have a RWD, take the day off.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Rated M

Well I wish I could afford a hot summer car & then afford another car for the winter but in my budget I would have to drive as you suggested a winter beater, & there is no way I would drive a crapy car in the winter... no heat, no realibility, no performance for 5 months? non thanks.

To each his own & if I lived where there was zero snow or very little then I would go sport, but when I wake up for work & it is -30 & 6" inches of snow fell overnight my boss does not say you have a RWD, take the day off.
Fair enough. I'm not questioning your choice on going with the X. It sounds like a fantastic choice for you and for many others since it is such a good seller.

All I'm saying is if you can afford a 745il you can likely do what you want as far as another winter driver or other options. That person likely doesn't care they have a few days of hardship driving or else they would just change up to something like an A8 quattro , get a second car or rent something. Not likely that person is going to drive a winter beater with no heat, no reliability etc. I suggested a cheaper car (relative to the 745) but not a "beater" that you're describing. I've had a winter vehicle 3rd daily driver 4x4 (not a beater) for at least 16 years and haven't suffered with any of the things you mention. However the change to a nicer driving car in the better days is great because it really makes you appreciate the difference and feels like a new car to you for years.

The guy driving the 745 is also likely to be the boss so he may have more flexibility on his scheduled appearance for work.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:27 AM
I have a G35 coup right now..... i love the looks better but every winter i gotta put my winter tires on and it's a hastle for me......... but on the other hand i barely use the back seats so it's not bad....... if you want comfort i suggest you go with a AWD but if you don't care then the coup is nice to have........but i would definetly go for AWD.......if i could go back in time having said that i myself work as a salesperson and for the money that you pay AWD gives you more options.......the AwD itself is a good feature to have

Old 11-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by mariaHashemi
I have a G35 coup right now..... i love the looks better but every winter i gotta put my winter tires on and it's a hastle for me
I put winter tires even on an AWD car. Maybe it's just Quebec's weater or me being paranoid. Remember; AWD does not make you stop faster.

Old 11-04-2006, 01:07 PM
^ Exactly. I'd venture to say that a RWD with winters is safer than a AWD with all seasons. Braking should be superior and handling depending on factors could be better in snowy, icy or really cold conditions. All seasons should really be called 3 seasons. If I had a X, I'd still go with winters all around.

Last edited by Woblin_Goblin; 11-04-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by Woblin_Goblin
^ Exactly. I'd venture to say that a RWD with winters is safer than a AWD with all seasons. Braking should be superior and handling depending on factors could be better in snowy, icy or really cold conditions. All seasons should really be called 3 seasons. If I had a X, I'd still go with winters all around.
bingo.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Woblin_Goblin

Traction is usually my primary issue in snowy conditions. I can't see a RWD providing superior traction over an AWD.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Blaxima
Traction is usually my primary issue in snowy conditions. I can't see a RWD providing superior traction over an AWD.
Braking is equally/if not more important in slippery conditions IMO. I would MUCH rather have my RWD G with my Blizzaks over a G35x with all seasons!...anyday!

Old 11-04-2006, 02:28 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by canuck
Braking is equally/if not more important in slippery conditions IMO. I would MUCH rather have my RWD G with my Blizzaks over a G35x with all seasons!...anyday!

exactly the reason why ive decided to go for the Sport instead of the AWD X ill just switch wheels/tires out depending on the season . im not concerning about resale value either.....will be leasing

Old 11-04-2006, 02:29 PM
MT > AT Go with the sport

/endthread

Old 11-04-2006, 02:41 PM
If you looked at them both and couldn't decide, then its done- you are an X man!
(Besides you are not way off most of the time and some of the time you are way better off).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cant Decide 07 G35Sport or 07 G35x - Help!!!