G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Cant Decide 07 G35Sport or 07 G35x - Help!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by omgitselaine
exactly the reason why ive decided to go for the Sport instead of the AWD X ill just switch wheels/tires out depending on the season . im not concerning about resale value either.....will be leasing
For some reason, a Sport model seems to suit you better anyways Elaine.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by canuck
For some reason, a Sport model seems to suit you better anyways Elaine.
hmmmm you think ??? not even gonna ask why ...you think sooo ??? we'll leave it at that

Old 11-04-2006, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Sport

Just bought a Sport and am in Rochester, NY. Had an 04 Sedan in CT and had no trouble with it in the snow. Sedan got totaled and replaced it with an 05 Coupe and just traded it for the Sport

Old 11-05-2006, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Blaxima
Traction is usually my primary issue in snowy conditions. I can't see a RWD providing superior traction over an AWD.
Lack of forward traction won't cost you as much money as not having enough braking ability or lateral grip.

The decision is not AWD vs snow tires, it should be AWD vs RWD. If you live in a cold weather area, you should have snow tires no matter what your drive train.

Having driven an AWD car in the winter let me tell you that it's FUN.

Having a really powerful car and then having to drive it like a corolla for 5 months of the year means you're leaving a lot of performance on the table.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by hemants
Lack of forward traction won't cost you as much money as not having enough braking ability or lateral grip.

The decision is not AWD vs snow tires, it should be AWD vs RWD. If you live in a cold weather area, you should have snow tires no matter what your drive train.
+1.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:47 PM

Having driven an AWD car in the winter let me tell you that it's FUN.

Having a really powerful car and then having to drive it like a corolla for 5 months of the year means you're leaving a lot of performance on the table.
Hmm, not sure what you're reacting to in my post. I didn't think I implied a AWD vs. snow Tires issue???

Given the snow in my area, I'll be getting the X. If I lived elswhere, I'd get the S. I hope you enjoy what works best for you.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Blaxima
Hmm, not sure what you're reacting to in my post. I didn't think I implied a AWD vs. snow Tires issue???

Given the snow in my area, I'll be getting the X. If I lived elswhere, I'd get the S. I hope you enjoy what works best for you.
Perhaps I was reading between the lines, but I hear a lot of people decide to get the X but then leave all season tires on them in the winter.

I think this is dangerous. Lack of traction won't kill you, but lack of braking ability or lack of lateral grip might.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Perhaps I was reading between the lines, but I hear a lot of people decide to get the X but then leave all season tires on them in the winter.

I think this is dangerous. Lack of traction won't kill you, but lack of braking ability or lack of lateral grip might.
So true, I agree completely.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by GEE35X
So true, I agree completely.
^+1

Old 11-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^+2.

Having owned numerous SUVs/4x4 trucks with all terrain tires I've been guilty of the invincibility of forward traction. When it came to stopping.....

Snows work in the colder temps and make the biggest difference in stopping and turning.... the important stuff that keeps you accident free.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
^+2.

Having owned numerous SUVs/4x4 trucks with all terrain tires I've been guilty of the invincibility of forward traction. When it came to stopping.....

Snows work in the colder temps and make the biggest difference in stopping and turning.... the important stuff that keeps you accident free.
That is so true Deane, we also have our 4x4 GMC Z71, and our X with it's snows will out perform it any day in the snow and slippery stuff. If it is bad out we take the vehicle with the winter tires on it, our X . It is the snow tires that are the magic in the white stuff.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:17 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

To me traction and braking are one and the same.....but yes, All Seasons are not really all season tires. apparantly they're not much good in temps below Zero degrees C......and are already only about 40% as effective as snowtires in the snow and ice.
You just can't beat snow tires at all corners for safety, traction and braking.

C.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by max2k1
Personally, I feel that the X and all of the other models target different audiences.

If you need AWD capability, you go with the X. Otherwise pick any of the other models.

So ask yourself that one question ... do you need AWD ? That's all - no confusion
what he said

Old 11-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
That is so true Deane, we also have our 4x4 GMC Z71, and our X with it's snows will out perform it any day in the snow and slippery stuff. If it is bad out we take the vehicle with the winter tires on it, our X . It is the snow tires that are the magic in the white stuff.
Glad you can relate. I never put snows on any of my 4x4's. My guess is they would have been great especially my Gr. Cherokee with locking diffs F& R.

Blizzaks would have transformed it in stopping and handling in snow. However most of us with Awd/4x4 tend to ignore the tires, thinking mainly of plowing forward through the snow.

I can only imagine how good the X is with snows.