G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Remote starter and keyless fob?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:43 PM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remote starter and keyless fob?

Does anyone know what effect a remote starter may have on the keyless entry system?
I mean, the whole point of a keyless entry is to be able to unlock and start the car with the fob in the perimeter of the car.... How would a remote starter fire the engine if the fob is not around?

....More importantly: would it be correct to assume that if a remote starter is installed, your keyless fob becomes unusable? You now need to walk around with the remote starter's fob? If so, then how would you unlock the car (by pressing the button on the handle) without the oem keyless fob?

Old 11-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanted to know about this as well. I know Kenny mentioned that his dealership has done it on a bunch of Ms with the push button start, so I assume it's possible on the G....I just don't know the details.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Speedoholic
Does anyone know what effect a remote starter may have on the keyless entry system?
I mean, the whole point of a keyless entry is to be able to unlock and start the car with the fob in the perimeter of the car.... How would a remote starter fire the engine if the fob is not around?

....More importantly: would it be correct to assume that if a remote starter is installed, your keyless fob becomes unusable? You now need to walk around with the remote starter's fob? If so, then how would you unlock the car (by pressing the button on the handle) without the oem keyless fob?

well, the dealer in white plains is installing remote starters for $700. and im also assuming that they are under the warranty too. the dealer is pepe infiniti and i saw it ont he dealers desk advertised along with some other stuff

Old 06-25-2007, 12:40 PM
infiniti keyfob is still usable

remote starter keyfob has ability to lock/unlock and even unlock trunk (extra fee for relay for unlock trunk usually)

if do right both keyfobs will be usable to remote start the car. additioanl wire needs to be hooked up if u want the infiniti keyfob to start car

infiniti keyfob remote start is by pressing lock 2/3 times (configurable).

Old 06-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by mediabox
infiniti keyfob is still usable

remote starter keyfob has ability to lock/unlock and even unlock trunk (extra fee for relay for unlock trunk usually)

if do right both keyfobs will be usable to remote start the car. additioanl wire needs to be hooked up if u want the infiniti keyfob to start car
What does that mean? Do they give you 2 totally different keyfobs that are specifically used to remote start the car?

Old 06-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Do they give you 2 totally different keyfobs that are specifically used to remote start the car?
You get (2) infiniti keyfobs with the car

You get (usually 1) aftermarket remote starter if you install a remote starter.

If wired correctly (i think it's hooking up "lock motor" ouput to "input activation" for: dei/hornet/valet brain box) you can use all 3 of them to unlock, lock, start the car, and unlock the trunk. This is the best option in my opinion. Although, the range won't be as good on the infiniti keyfobs.

Last edited by mediabox; 06-25-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
My dealer wanted something like $800-$900 (I forget the actual price) to install a remote starter.
Once installed, either of your original keyless fobs can be used to start the vehicle by pressing the lock button twice.

Part of the high price is due to the fact that you need to purchase another keyless fob, have it programmed to match your vehicle, and then it's installed into the dash.... in a location which allows the remote starter to interact and start your car, but to not allow some homeless thief to steal your ride.

Yes, it can be done!

Old 06-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
Part of the high price is due to the fact that you need to purchase another keyless fob, have it programmed to match your vehicle, and then it's installed into the dash.... in a location which allows the remote starter to interact and start your car, but to not allow some homeless thief to steal your ride.
I have a hard time understanding this. If you are sending the signal that allows the car to be started from inside the car ... why wont the car just start for anyone pressing the button?

Old 06-26-2007, 12:33 AM
I think the confusion lies because we have basterdized the work keyfob. I don't know if I'm using the word wrong or what. Either way you have the intellikey and the remote with buttons on it (which i have been calling keyfob).

The thing that stays in the car, hidden in the dash, is the intellikey. This is the key with the transponder in it. This is the key that will start your G and someone can easily take it for a ride!

Some people (me) will not have this key cut but only programmed. So even if you find the intellikey it won't turn the ignition.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:13 PM
You don't have to stash an I-Key anymore. There are interfaces which handle that now.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:31 AM
Old 10-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by mediabox
You get (2) infiniti keyfobs with the car

You get (usually 1) aftermarket remote starter if you install a remote starter.

If wired correctly (i think it's hooking up "lock motor" ouput to "input activation" for: dei/hornet/valet brain box) you can use all 3 of them to unlock, lock, start the car, and unlock the trunk. This is the best option in my opinion. Although, the range won't be as good on the infiniti keyfobs.
Hate to bump an old thread, but by unlock locking with infiniti keyfob, are we talking about the factory alarm or the viper alarm? Debating whether to use this viper alarm I have sitting on the ground, and if I did i'd want to be able to keep using my infiniti fob to unlock/lock/start/remote start

Old 10-02-2007, 01:38 PM
but by unlock locking with infiniti keyfob, are we talking about the factory alarm or the viper alarm?
if [unlock] pressed on infiniti keyfob it will disarm and unlock the factory alarm. i think if u installed a viper alarm u would have to start using the viper remote.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:09 PM
depending on if you want to add an aftermarket alarm/remote start or just add remote start to your factory system you can do either one. just need to decide what u want. if u want new aftermarket alarm/remote start then you need to buy it and a CAN-Bus module ( recommend the IdataLink) for the transponder bypass(so u dont have to leave key in car to remote start. if u just wanna add remote start to factory system and use factory intellikey remote then u need to still buy the CAN-BUS module but only need to buy a add-on to factory remote start system. the aftermarket will definetly give you more features and better range ,u will have to carry the intellikey and the alarm/remote start remote, ( U still need intellikey so that when u get in car after remote starting the car will continue to run, so no one can just get in and steal car-if u put foot an brake with no intellikey car shuts off. the add on system will just require you to press a predetermined sequence of the lock/unlock buttons on the factory inellikey. just installed remote start alarm in sedan, was gonna do add on but decided that i wanted 2way and better range

Old 10-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bponce23
well, the dealer in white plains is installing remote starters for $700. and im also assuming that they are under the warranty too. the dealer is pepe infiniti and i saw it ont he dealers desk advertised along with some other stuff

anyone who pays 700 for a remote start is taking it in the rear, i wish i owned a dealership id be a millionaire

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Remote starter and keyless fob?