G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

SOW, Bass, and F/R Fader

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOW, Bass, and F/R Fader

Ran out this morning and just happened to remember a post where someone said they had moved the F/R fader mostly to the front and gotten better bass.

This sounded crazy because after all, the sub is in the rear (but is it on the rear fader?)

Well, I decided what the hell and tried moving the F/R fader to 3rd bar from full front fade, punched Tom Sawyer by Rush on the CD and damn, what a difference.

With the F/R fader 3/4 to the front, the speakers in the front doors suddenly woke up and actually started to hit past 1/2 max volume. It honestly did not even sound like the same system I've been listening to for the last few weeks simply by moving the F/R fader a few clicks under max front fade.

Strangely enough, with the fader mostly to the front, I could actually hear the rear sub hitting which makes me wonder is it really on the F/R fade.

It would never had occured to me to the front to get more bass. I had already tried moving it more to the rear and that didn't help.

I'm currently running with the bass at max, treble a couple clicks less than max, F/R fader a couple clicks from Max front, and Left/Right Fader dead center and for the 1st time, it actually sounds pretty good.

Keep in mind when I say "thump" I'm just talking about good, solid, punchy bass, not the trunk lid rattling whump and bump typically of systems with two 15's in the trunk and a 1000w amp. I'm not interested in crazy bass like this.

So if you're not quite happy with the "punch" of the bottom end in your new G, try moving the front fader to a couple clicks from max front fade. You might be suprized at how it sounds. I know I was.

Last edited by Railgunner; 11-23-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By moving it to the front, you're getting sound from TWO subs in the front door panels, versus just one sub in the rear.

Old 11-23-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Railgunner
Ran out this morning and just happened to remember a post where someone said they had moved the F/R fader mostly to the front and gotten better bass.

This sounded crazy because after all, the sub is in the rear (but is it on the rear fader?)

Well, I decided what the hell and tried moving the F/R fader to 3rd bar from
full front fade, punched Tom Sawyer by Rush on the CD and damn, what a difference.

With the F/R fader 3/4 to the front, the speakers in the front doors suddenly woke up and actually started to hit past 1/2 max volume. It honestly did not even sound like the same system I've been listening to for the last few weeks
simply by moving the F/R fader a few clicks under max front fade.

Strangely enough, with the fader mostly to the front, I could actually hear
the rear sub hitting which makes me wonder is it really on the F/R fade.

I can honestly say I would never have even tried moving the fader to the front to get more bass. I had tried moving it more to the rear and that didn't help.

I'm currently running with the bass at max, treble a couple clicks less than max, F/R fader a couple clicks from Max front fade, and Left/Right Fader
dead center and for the 1st time, it actually sounds pretty good.

Keep in mine when I say "thump" I'm just talking about good, solid, punchy bass, not the trunk lid rattling whump and bump typically of systems with
two 15's in the trunk and a 1000w amp. I'm not interested in crazy bass like
this.

So if you're not quite happy with the "punch" of the bottom end in your new G, try moving the front fader to a couple clicks from max front fade. You might be suprized at how it sounds. I know was.
railgunner, glad you like it. as i stated in my review in the SoW thread, fading to the front helped significantly in the midbass and lower midrange regions. a couple other suggestions if you're looking for more "thump" in the midbass/upper subbass areas:

- try adjusting the fader even farther to the front to see if it's to your liking. i ended up fading all the way to the front for sq listening purposes, but never played with the settings to find maximum midbass. this could help "clean up" the midbass even more, giving you the impression of "clean and clear" midbass.

- try lowering your treble a couple clicks (i.e.- changing the treble to bass ratio, aka level matching).

as always, please keep in mind this oem system was never meant to (and does not) play lower subbass. if that is what you're looking for, you can always add a sub to fill out the bottom end (and no, the oem "sub" in the rear deck does not do an adequate job as a subwoofer).

hope this helps

Old 11-23-2006, 03:47 PM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Common sense says that the sub is not controlled by the fader. The reason you hear the sub better with fader maximized towards the front is that the rears are now simply muted, which allows the sub to stand out better without the rears getting in the way.

Old 11-23-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Speedoholic
Common sense says that the sub is not controlled by the fader. The reason you hear the sub better with fader maximized towards the front is that the rears are now simply muted, which allows the sub to stand out better without the rears getting in the way.
interesting. why would it be common sense that the sub is not controlled by the fader?

Old 11-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Typically subs are set to a non-fade setting, ie it won't matter what fade you have the sub will produce the same output. In this car, it only makes sense that the front subs would be fade controlable, and the rear sub probably is not. I have not had a lot of time to tweak the stereo in my G yet, maybe I'll go play with that right now.

Old 11-24-2006, 07:58 AM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jay spec
interesting. why would it be common sense that the sub is not controlled by the fader?
Audiophile just gave you the answer.