G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Warranty

I just placed an order for a 2007 G35X with Preimium and Nav. I got it for
$1,650 under sticker. Hopefully I'll be picking it up in a couple of weeks when they track one down.

My question is, has anybody purchased the extended warranty and how much did you pay and what state are you located in? They gave me a price of $1,760 to bump up the warranty to 7 Years 100,000 miles. I'm not sure it's worth it but with all the gadgets and the AWD system maybe it is.

On another note that people should be aware of the difference on prices on dealer installed accessories. One dealer quoted me $350 to upgrade the alarm and another $650 if I wanted a remote start while another dealer quoted me $190 on the alarm upgrade and $370 for the remote start.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:40 AM
If the new G35 is anywhere as reliable as a 98 Maxima, I wouldn't get any additional warranties. Based on my experience with the Maxima, there wouldn't have been any claims from 60-100k (except maybe the airgag lamp).

Dealer options is a great way for them to recover some profit if you hammered them for a great deal in your favor. Sometimes these protection packages may make sense, I've heard that with cars coming with runflats, tire protection is like craps odds at Vegas--the best odds if you have to play something. Just over one tire replacement will almost cover the agreement.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:41 AM
Waxer
I wouldn't get one, for the money you will spend up front you could put it in a CD and in 5 years when the standard warranty is up you'll have enough money to fix just about any problem you may have. If you have any.

In any case you might want to read this:

http://www.leaseguide.com/Articles/carwarranty.htm

Instructions
  • STEP 1: Think of an extended warranty as simply an insurance policy against repairs on your car.
  • STEP 2: Check out maintenance records for your make and model car. Consumer publications offer frequency-of-repair reports and will tell you what problems others have had with that car.
  • STEP 3: Consider how long you plan to own the car. If you're leasing a new Honda for 48 months and the manufacturer's warranty expires after 3 years, you probably won't have any problems - unless you put a lot of miles on the car.
  • STEP 4: Be aware that most policies require a deductible; rules governing those deductibles vary widely. A warranty that requires you to pay the deductible every time your car is worked on - regardless of whether this is the third time for the same repair - is not a good value.
  • STEP 5: Get quotes from several companies. Prices for similar coverage can differ by hundreds of dollars.
  • STEP 6: Ignore sales brochures and ask to read the actual policy so you can see what is (or isn't) covered. You want immediate and full coverage for potentially expensive problems.
  • STEP 7: Do your research, understand the protection being offered and compare prices. If you can afford a good policy, the peace of mind is probably worth the price.
Tips & Warnings
  • There are three types of packages: Entry level covers the basics. Bumper-to-bumper with exclusions is recommended for cars with anti-lock brakes, power packages and on-board computers. Choose bumper-to-bumper with no exclusions for luxury and sports cars with lots of extras that could break or die. Read the exclusions list very carefully. All packages should include towing and rental car reimbursement.
  • Be aware that extended warranties don't cover headlights, taillights, trim and molding, tires, the battery, upholstery, paint, rotors or drums, shocks, glass, air bags or exhaust systems.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ great post and good advice.

Old 11-25-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by sedanman2007
I wouldn't get one, for the money you will spend up front you could put it in a CD and in 5 years when the standard warranty is up you'll have enough money to fix just about any problem you may have. If you have any.

In any case you might want to read this:

http://www.leaseguide.com/Articles/carwarranty.htm

Instructions
  • STEP 1: Think of an extended warranty as simply an insurance policy against repairs on your car.
  • STEP 2: Check out maintenance records for your make and model car. Consumer publications offer frequency-of-repair reports and will tell you what problems others have had with that car.
  • STEP 3: Consider how long you plan to own the car. If you're leasing a new Honda for 48 months and the manufacturer's warranty expires after 3 years, you probably won't have any problems - unless you put a lot of miles on the car.
  • STEP 4: Be aware that most policies require a deductible; rules governing those deductibles vary widely. A warranty that requires you to pay the deductible every time your car is worked on - regardless of whether this is the third time for the same repair - is not a good value.
  • STEP 5: Get quotes from several companies. Prices for similar coverage can differ by hundreds of dollars.
  • STEP 6: Ignore sales brochures and ask to read the actual policy so you can see what is (or isn't) covered. You want immediate and full coverage for potentially expensive problems.
  • STEP 7: Do your research, understand the protection being offered and compare prices. If you can afford a good policy, the peace of mind is probably worth the price.
Tips & Warnings
  • There are three types of packages: Entry level covers the basics. Bumper-to-bumper with exclusions is recommended for cars with anti-lock brakes, power packages and on-board computers. Choose bumper-to-bumper with no exclusions for luxury and sports cars with lots of extras that could break or die. Read the exclusions list very carefully. All packages should include towing and rental car reimbursement.
  • Be aware that extended warranties don't cover headlights, taillights, trim and molding, tires, the battery, upholstery, paint, rotors or drums, shocks, glass, air bags or exhaust systems.
Thanks for the info

Old 11-25-2006, 04:51 PM
What kind of alarm upgrade was included with the $350?

Old 11-25-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by G35string
What kind of alarm upgrade was included with the $350?

The G already comes with an alarm system but it won't go on until the doors are opened. The upgrade would inlcude shock sensors and ignition cut off.

Old 11-26-2006, 12:15 AM
Waxer
Doesn't the stock system cut off the ignition if someone tries to break in?

Old 11-26-2006, 01:18 AM
when i financed my car with Easter Financial Federal Credit Union, they were the ones that offered me the extended warranty, i think it was a hell of a deal $1095.00 for 10 yrs/120K miles....bumper to bumper no deductilble, i have towing in my insurance and phone so i didnt need roadside assistance, the only thing is that you have to maintain the car, which i already do anyways

Old 01-29-2007, 12:44 AM
Infiniti Extended warrany $1600

I just purchased a 2007 G35 Sport Sedan Automatic (to complement my 2003 G35 6MT Coupe). The dealer offered an INFINITI extended warranty 7 yr/100K which includes towing to the nearest dealer no matter where you are and $500 for hotel/rental car, etc if your car breaks down. They wanted $2800+ for it, but I got them down to $1600, which is less than I had paid for a similar warranty for my wife's Acura MDX. I thought it was worthwhile in a brand new redesign car, especially since I premium with SOW audio and nav/bluetooth. Any of those electronic toys would be $$$ to repair if not under warranty.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:52 AM
I've never bought extended warranties because I like to live dangerously. Well that, and I rarely keep cars much past 4 years.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:15 PM
pmf
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was offered the same extended (7yr/100000mi) warranty but @ $2200 & $100 deductible. Since the terms aren't that favorable with the low mileage I tend to put on cars (as compare to let say 10yr/70000mi), I didn't even bother to negotiate but just said no since there's a 6yr/70000mi power train that comes with the car anyway. To me $2200 for an extra year just isn't worth it.

PF

Old 01-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know what exactly the extended warranty covers? I heard that it covers things like the HID's and tail lights.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Highly regarded Extended Service Contract (ESC) company with great prices - www.warrantydirect.com

If I decide to choose an ESC, I'd buy from them.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My site refers people to WarrantyDirect.

That said, someone emailed me the other day with two limitations:
--they don't pay diagnostic charges
--they'll only pay up to $85/hour for labor; his Mercedes dealer charged $110/hour

I've added these limitations to my site's bit on extended warranties. Fewer people may buy them as a result, but I don't personally like surprises, and wouldn't want there to be any for my site's visitors.