G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Cost for dealer to get a delivered car from another dealer across states

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost for dealer to get a delivered car from another dealer across states

How much $$ should I allow for a dealer in Missouri to get a car from another dealer in Texas? I have been quoted their cost as $700, but I'm a bit leery and I know some of the knowlegable folks here have gone though this process before. Help!

Thanks in advance ,
ut bondman

Old 12-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Should cost zero

When I bought my G35, I knew the specific model, int./ext. colors, and option packages I wanted. I told them up front I was only interested in that exact vehicle, and did not mind at all waiting for a factory order to be filled. So we settled on a price (armed with internet quotes from other dealers in the area). Then the dealer located an exact match on its way to a CA dealership and was able to have it diverted.

Here are my 2 cents:

1) Only enter your dealership of choice after receiving competitive internet/fax quotes for a specific car.
2) Tell them you're happy to wait for a factory order if such a car does not exist.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:28 PM
In my instance though, the car is already at the other dealer (and can't be diverted as you specified - if it was, you're right, it costs the dealer nothing to divert it). If I order the car, it'll likely take 60-90 days and obviously I'd cut my price, but for earlier delivery and someone moving the car for me, it is worth something - BUT I don't know how much

Thanks though - Can anyone else help?

Old 12-15-2006, 12:07 AM
I was charged about $300 for a Locate which was approximately 150-200 miles away. They have a licensed and bonded individual drive the car from there to the dealership.

I got what i wanted, so thats all that matters

Old 12-15-2006, 12:30 AM
cost me nothing. they located the car and brought it in. they said they would charge me $200 if I wanted it brought on a flatbed, but I told them they could have someone drive it in.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:44 PM
I think that flatbed # sounds about right...Thanks!

Old 12-15-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by jdm rice
I was charged about $300 for a Locate which was approximately 150-200 miles away. They have a licensed and bonded individual drive the car from there to the dealership.

I got what i wanted, so thats all that matters
I never understood why a dealer charges for a locate. They say it takes them time, but it takes about 10 minutes for them to search their NNA database. Took my dealer no more than 2 mins to locate the car I wanted. Never mentioned an extra price to bring it in unless I wanted it on a flatbed.

Trending Topics

Old 12-15-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by ut bondman
How much $$ should I allow for a dealer in Missouri to get a car from another dealer in Texas? I have been quoted their cost as $700, but I'm a bit leery and I know some of the knowlegable folks here have gone though this process before. Help!

Thanks in advance ,
ut bondman
If it would help, I've moved coast-to-coast before and it cost me about $800 to $1000 to flatbed the cars (insured etc etc) ....

not new cars - but when I moved my other cars.

Old 12-15-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by DaCurryman
I never understood why a dealer charges for a locate. They say it takes them time, but it takes about 10 minutes for them to search their NNA database. Took my dealer no more than 2 mins to locate the car I wanted. Never mentioned an extra price to bring it in unless I wanted it on a flatbed.
I agree on that - if the salesman wants to sell a car - he can locate it easily...the guys who are truly willing to work for you are the ones that will call around and find out whats coming into stock at other places and really find what YOU want...

Old 12-15-2006, 04:05 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
From what I've heard on the subject, dealers are always moving cars around from place to place to accommodate customers. and when I say dealers, I mean all dealers.....not just our INfinitis.......

Dealers, to my mind, are very astute business people, who should be able to take advantage of all the services available out there.-- Finding a carrier at a reasonable cost for his car to 'tag along' should be easy for someone in that business.

If that is the case, then shipping a car to go to, say, a dealer in Washington (in the PNW) to a waiting customer in Florida shouldn't be nearly as expensive as if that same car is shipped by itself by a private party.

Food for thought.

I personally have never paid extra to have a car delivered from another dealer to my dealer....tho this hasn't happened often since I like my cars fresh from the factory, and has not involved much distance.
C.

Last edited by Msedanman; 12-15-2006 at 04:10 PM.