G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Is it possible to keep audio on when tuning off engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to keep audio on when tuning off engine?

Anyone know how to prevent the audio from shutting off when I push the start button to turn off the engine when I am idling? Now, I have to push the button to turn off the engine and push it again without pressing the brake. This is my first push button start car and I don't know if there is such a way to keep the audio on without having to restart it again. Maybe it is in the manual, but I am too lazy to read through the entire manual.

thanks.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:00 PM
It would be nice to turn the car off and have the radio keep playing.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:31 AM
This is just a guess because I don't have an 07 G. But have you tried putting the key fob in it's holder to the left of the steering wheel? I think it's supposed to be for when the fob's batteries die.

I think that might do the trick, since I remember watching a video of a sales guy at a dealer putting the fob in the holder and the "key in ingition" chime coming on.

Give it a shot and see what happens.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, is there any way to keep talking on the phone through blue tooth when you turn the car off? I suspect this would be the same as listening to the audio.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:01 PM
cws
If it works like a Lexus, you might be able to keep the radio on by putting the shifter in neutral, pushing the button, then shifting back to park.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Waxer
Originally Posted by JWise1203
This is just a guess because I don't have an 07 G. But have you tried putting the key fob in it's holder to the left of the steering wheel? I think it's supposed to be for when the fob's batteries die.

I think that might do the trick, since I remember watching a video of a sales guy at a dealer putting the fob in the holder and the "key in ingition" chime coming on.

Give it a shot and see what happens.
Try it didn't work. When I hit the yellow button car engine shuts off as everything else does. I am a little surprised as many cars do allow the radio to play and even the power windows to work for a short time after turning the car off.

Also on the phone this would be nice as well when you're talking but want to turn the car off. Instead you have to switch back to the cell phone before turning the G off.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:41 PM
You can turn the car into the standard 2nd ignition position (ACC -> ON) without the engine by just leaving your foot off the brake and pressing START/STOP twice.

You would have to reboot the car for this to work. It's a little strange, but I'm sure there's something obvious I'm missing to get it to come back even to "ACC" from ON/engine.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On every car I have owned it goes ACC-OFF-ON, and the radio always turns off with the engine then turns back on when you switch to ACC. I doubt that the G is any different.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ChristianN
On every car I have owned it goes ACC-OFF-ON, and the radio always turns off with the engine then turns back on when you switch to ACC. I doubt that the G is any different.
I agree, good point Christian.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:23 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
+1

Think about it - you have to know that when you hit the shut-down button, EVERYTHING shuts off. If the accessory stuff stayed on, you could drain your battery. It would be cool if there was some trick to keep power on for the radio / phone, but haven't ween it.

Also, per another post, there IS a retained power function on the G, where you can shut down the engine and BEFORE you open the driver's door, you will still have power to roll up windows / sunroof etc.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my 6MT, when I'm parked (ebrake on), I just press the ON/OFF switch twice rapidly. The engine shuts down, and my head unit is not affected -- even for a split second. You press it again once, and it goes to ACC. Hit it on last time, and everything's off.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:59 PM
my dads 1987 benz, u can listen to the raido while the car is off... u just press the Radio On and it plays... also i know u can listen radio in ML while the car is off, matter of fact i think they have that feauture on every benz... =(

Old 12-20-2006, 09:16 PM
What other cars have you had???? Most cars in this price range don't do that.

My VW's required the key to be removed from the ignition, i.e. when you shut it off the radio didn't miss a beat until you removed the key. If I recall the Honda's and Acura's require the ignition to be off and then the door to open for the radio to shut off, it also didn't miss a beat from the time you turned the car off until you opened the door. GM's work the same as the Honda/Acura's...

I was surprised the radio shut off when the car did as well, it would be a cool feature if it stayed on as long as it sensed the key in the car.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:33 PM
I have a push-start on my current car (VW Touareg).

While the car is OFF:
1a. Push button w/out foot brake = electricals only (ACC)
1b. Push button w/ foot brake = starts engine

While the car is ON (engine running):
1. Push button w/ or w/out foot brake (but shifter in P) = ACC
2a. Open door = EVERYTHING off
2b. Or, push button a 2nd time to shut everything off

I REALLY hope this can be done in the G b/c I'm thinking about trading my VW to one and have found this to be a small but great feature to have.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:02 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Sweet!

Originally Posted by GoofyG28
In my 6MT, when I'm parked (ebrake on), I just press the ON/OFF switch twice rapidly. The engine shuts down, and my head unit is not affected -- even for a split second. You press it again once, and it goes to ACC. Hit it on last time, and everything's off.
Dude, you are the man!! Works on my AT too - just like you said, hit the button twice quickly and the engine / power shuts down, but stereo stays on. Thanks for the tip!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to keep audio on when tuning off engine?