G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

key remote cover?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChristianN
I think a thin silicon case like the ones available for iPods would be great, but I don't know of anyone making them. Does the clearbra stuff actually stay in place?
Yup the stuff is pretty cool. I even peeled it up to cut some of the excess off and reapplied and it was just as strong. If it's meant to protect my bumper from rocks flying at 80mphs, i'm sure it'll protect my key fob from crap in my pocket.

Best part is my buttons still work (even though I never need to use them )

Old 01-25-2007, 03:53 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
OK, it seems like there maybe some interest in a cover for the Infiniti intelligent key. I can see about tooling up and making some if there is sufficient interest.

It would be a form fitting silicon cover, (not sure about color yet) with icons at the button locations and cut out on the back so you can get the valet key out.

The cost would of course depend on tooling charges among other things, but I wouldn’t expect them to be very expensive.

I’m just gathering info now so please feel free to comment.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by terrycs
OK, it seems like there maybe some interest in a cover for the Infiniti intelligent key. I can see about tooling up and making some if there is sufficient interest.

It would be a form fitting silicon cover, (not sure about color yet) with icons at the button locations and cut out on the back so you can get the valet key out.

The cost would of course depend on tooling charges among other things, but I wouldn’t expect them to be very expensive.

That would be awesome!! I don't really care for the key cut out though, I would rather just remove the cover in the even that my battery dies. IMO the cut out would just allow more dirt to get inside defeating the point of the cover. As long as the price is decent count me in. I would like to see it in a clear, grey or black silicon like they have for the iPod.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:44 PM

I'd be intersted as well as long as it's not too expensive.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:44 PM

That would be awesome!! I don't really care for the key cut out though, I would rather just remove the cover in the even that my battery dies. IMO the cut out would just allow more dirt to get inside defeating the point of the cover. As long as the price is decent count me in. I would like to see it in a clear, grey or black silicon like they have for the iPod.
Thanks for your input. The CAD model is almost finished.

From my experience shooting silicon parts, it's gonna be a pain to put on because it will be form fitting. As a matter of fact, it may have to be turned inside out and rolled on. Because of this you want access to the key release, otherwise you'll have to fumble with it in front of the valet guys (for those that are so bold).

BTW, I'm trying to target less than $5 shipped.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:53 PM

From my experience shooting silicon parts, it's gonna be a pain to put on because it will be form fitting. As a matter of fact, it may have to be turned inside out and rolled on. Because of this you want access to the key release, otherwise you'll have to fumble with it in front of the valet guys (for those that are so bold).

For that price I'll take 3!

Old 01-25-2007, 04:56 PM

Nice, you designed it yourself? You could just make the opening at end the width of the key. That way the key can just slide out of the casing.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:00 PM

For that price I'll take 3!
Dude ... did you get one more key than the rest of us?

Old 01-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Dude ... did you get one more key than the rest of us?
No I just have a habit of wrecking stuff like this, so at $5 I'll just keep a spare handy and I can help to boost demand a bit so they get made. I'm actually the only driver of my G, the other key is stored away.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by kewltea
Nice, you designed it yourself? You could just make the opening at end the width of the key. That way the key can just slide out of the casing.
I have a friend helping me out ... we're both engineers working on this on our own time.

The opening is at the key end, so the rubber stays on the intelligent key if the valet key is pulled out. It will be form fitting, so there will be no giant gaps the width of the key.

I tried to make it so the only time you need to pull the rubber off is so you can change batteries (or if you need to stick it into the access port when the battery is dead).

Old 01-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Remember, the release for the valet key is about half way up the back of the unit.

Perhaps the version I'm working on will take into account the need to slide out easier to release the key.

John

Old 01-25-2007, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by txgcoupe
Remember, the release for the valet key is about half way up the back of the unit.

Perhaps the version I'm working on will take into account the need to slide out easier to release the key.

John
Yup, cut out will be needed for the release. If there are no cutouts, the cover would have to be rolled back to get to the valet key release.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:33 PM

terrycs, I'm definitely interested in one. Thanks!

Old 01-25-2007, 08:47 PM
just a lil input from me...

I had a silicone sleeve for my cell phone and i remember that it would catch lint and dust like no other! It was kinda annoying because I always had little fibers on the phone...is there any other material you can use that would serve the same purpose? if not, im still interested!

Old 01-25-2007, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by osinkboy
just a lil input from me...

I had a silicone sleeve for my cell phone and i remember that it would catch lint and dust like no other! It was kinda annoying because I always had little fibers on the phone...is there any other material you can use that would serve the same purpose? if not, im still interested!
I know what you mean about the lint. Let me look into the materials issue and see what other materials my molder can use. The challenge is we need something strechy to get the cover to be "heat shrink" snug (nothing like loose rubber)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: key remote cover?