G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

key remote cover?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 11:51 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycs
Thanks for your input. The CAD model is almost finished.

From my experience shooting silicon parts, it's gonna be a pain to put on because it will be form fitting. As a matter of fact, it may have to be turned inside out and rolled on. Because of this you want access to the key release, otherwise you'll have to fumble with it in front of the valet guys (for those that are so bold).

BTW, I'm trying to target less than $5 shipped.
I'm def in

Old 01-26-2007, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
count me in

Old 01-26-2007, 09:19 AM
I always leave my key fob in my pocket. I don't take it out of my pocket and don't use any of the buttons. The only time I've had to use the buttons is when the panic button gets inadvertently depressed in my pocket. What I would really like is a hard metal case for it, something like the following, but for the key fob (with a little opening in the bottom to take the key out when giving the fob to the valet):

http://www.boxwave.com/products/armo...metal-case.htm

This, I wouldn't mind paying $20 to $30 for. But, that's my ideal choice. Otherwise, I would go for the silicon case that was mentioned earlier.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:31 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by osinkboy
just a lil input from me...

I had a silicone sleeve for my cell phone and i remember that it would catch lint and dust like no other! It was kinda annoying because I always had little fibers on the phone...is there any other material you can use that would serve the same purpose? if not, im still interested!
OK, we thought long and hard about the lint issue and decided to go with a neoprene design. It's good for me too since I don't have the tooling charges to deal with. I'll have mock up photos shortly.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, we thought long and hard about the lint issue and decided to go with a neoprene design. It's good for me too since I don't have the tooling charges to deal with. I'll have mock up photos shortly.
Silicon I'm in, but I will have to see pictures before I say yes to neoprene. If it's just a slip cover, rather than a form fitting skin I'm going to pass. The reason I like the idea of silicon is it won't be thick and add bulk.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm really liking the clear bra material. I think if you could have them cut to shape, it would look pretty clean to install. If you really want it perfect, just bring it by your clear bra installer and they'll prob do it for a small fee.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:24 PM

Again, we decided to switch from a molded silicon design to neoprene because of the way silicon picks up lint. We had another neoprene project so I kinda stuck my intelligent key into one of our production products. These photos are only mockups so you can see what we are thinking. Access to the key release will require pulling off the cover because it’s easier to do now with neoprene than with silicon. Plus, we don’t need to make the cutout for a cleaner look.

The photos show what the stitching would look as well has how intelligent key looks covered up. The material used in the photo is about 1/16” thick. This will make the remote a little bit more bulky. I can play with different thicknesses to see how thin we can get before we lose elasticity. I believe my target price for the neoprene configuration will still be less than or equal to $5 shipped.

Question for all you interested … should I have the buttons printed on the neoprene? I can do it, but we all know that any printed area will eventually wear off and look like sh_t. Should we even consider this since we hardly ever use the buttons? Color … I didn’t want to go crazy thinking about it so I was thinking black for the first run to be neutral, but future runs can be in almost any color.

Additional comments always welcomed.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by kewltea
I'm really liking the clear bra material. I think if you could have them cut to shape, it would look pretty clean to install. If you really want it perfect, just bring it by your clear bra installer and they'll prob do it for a small fee.
I haven't seen yours in person, but I think the texturing on the key will not allow the film to stick down with a "clear" look. Neoprene or silicon will provide drop protection, and film won't ... easier to paint the remote. Just my thoughts.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:39 PM
I haven't seen yours in person, but I think the texturing on the key will not allow the film to stick down with a "clear" look. Neoprene or silicon will provide drop protection, and film won't ... easier to paint the remote. Just my thoughts.
Agree, I'm still very interested in this. (I'll still prob keep the clear bra on as added protection ) Black is my perfered color. don't care for the button prints either since like you said it'll never be used.

Just curious, is this your hobby or related to your full time profession?

Old 01-26-2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by kewltea
Agree, I'm still very interested in this. (I'll still prob keep the clear bra on as added protection ) Black is my perfered color. don't care for the button prints either since like you said it'll never be used.

Just curious, is this your hobby or related to your full time profession?
I'm in medical devices. This is a side project for me, but I'll be using my current vendors.

Old 01-26-2007, 05:07 PM

OK, I pulled the trigger for production start on the neoprene version. I should have 100 in about 2 weeks. 50 of them will be black and printed with white icons where the buttons are located. The other 50 will be plain black with no icons.

I'll see how they sell before I have more made.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:23 PM
OK, I pulled the trigger for production start on the neoprene version. I should have 100 in about 2 weeks. 50 of them will be black and printed with white icons where the buttons are located. The other 50 will be plain black with no icons.

I'll see how they sell before I have more made.
How are the buttons going to be printed on? Can they use heat to inscribe the symbol instead?

Old 01-26-2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by ChristianN
How are the buttons going to be printed on? Can they use heat to inscribe the symbol instead?
Great comments ...

No matter how they print it, I don't think it will be very permanent, especially since the neoprene will be stretched on.

Heat ... possibly, let me look into embossing, but I have a feeling the icons are a little small for that. Combination big rectangles embossed along with print may also be a possibility.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Great comments ...

No matter how they print it, I don't think it will be very permanent, especially since the neoprene will be stretched on.

Heat ... possibly, let me look into embossing, but I have a feeling the icons are a little small for that. Combination big rectangles embossed along with print may also be a possibility.
The symbols don't need to be too detailed, so long as the shape is recognisable as locked, unlocked, an open trunk and a speaker. I'm no engineer so it's just my 2 cents. How hard would it be for me to get a neoprene zipper case for my manual with velcro stripes on the back that will stick onto the back of the seat in the trunk?

Old 01-26-2007, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by ChristianN
The symbols don't need to be too detailed, so long as the shape is recognisable as locked, unlocked, an open trunk and a speaker. I'm no engineer so it's just my 2 cents. How hard would it be for me to get a neoprene zipper case for my manual with velcro stripes on the back that will stick onto the back of the seat in the trunk?
You didn't get an Infiniti leatherette(?) one with the car that contains all the manuals?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: key remote cover?