G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Clear Bra - newbie questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Bra - newbie questions

I hope to purchase my G35X very shortly. Please forgive my ignorance but I've only first heard about a clear bra in the last few months. At first, this sounded like one of the questionable 'perma-wax' packages the business managers used to try to sell you years back along with scotchguard, rust proofing and extended warranty, etc.....but I gather the clear bra is a bit more sophisticated.

Some questions:

1) prior to installation, suppose there are some surface scratahes/swirls (perhaps courtesy of a car wash the dealer may have done, or some actaion during the prepr for the car). Is this a concern? - ie does it mean that the subsequent application of a clear bra would forever make it impossible to repair/buff out the scrateches/swirls...or is the opposite true and the bra actually hides such scratches/swirls??

2) how does one arrange for the installation to occur asap? - can one make arrangement with the dealer to send the car to an installer BEFORE it is otherwsie 'prepped' by the dealer?

3) how do thngs like waxes or zaino treatments work with a car that has a clear bra - are they not needed ? still effective? Any special care needed re routine washes??

4) if one believes in the merits of a clear bra, wouldn't one want to cover as much as possible, ie bumper wrap + hood + fenders + mirrors , as opposed to say just the bumper/hood?

5) why is it that other parts of the car dont need a clear bra ( eg roof, doors, trunk hood) - is it because the main purpose is to protect against debris that attacks the car from the front?

6) Have there been any disaster installs? Can it be redone if done poorly?

7) What if some debris hits the hood and penetrates the clear bra -- how is it repaired? Does the entire clear bra need to be redone?

8) Does installing a clear bra viloate any Infiniti paint/rust warranties?

Many thanks
G35-2-B
Thornhill, Ontario

Old 01-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35-2-B
I hope to purchase my G35X very shortly. Please forgive my ignorance but I've only first heard about a clear bra in the last few months. At first, this sounded like one of the questionable 'perma-wax' packages the business managers used to try to sell you years back along with scotchguard, rust proofing and extended warranty, etc.....but I gather the clear bra is a bit more sophisticated.

Some questions:

1) prior to installation, suppose there are some surface scratahes/swirls (perhaps courtesy of a car wash the dealer may have done, or some actaion during the prepr for the car). Is this a concern? - ie does it mean that the subsequent application of a clear bra would forever make it impossible to repair/buff out the scrateches/swirls...or is the opposite true and the bra actually hides such scratches/swirls??

2) how does one arrange for the installation to occur asap? - can one make arrangement with the dealer to send the car to an installer BEFORE it is otherwsie 'prepped' by the dealer?

3) how do thngs like waxes or zaino treatments work with a car that has a clear bra - are they not needed ? still effective? Any special care needed re routine washes??

4) if one believes in the merits of a clear bra, wouldn't one want to cover as much as possible, ie bumper wrap + hood + fenders + mirrors , as opposed to say just the bumper/hood?

5) why is it that other parts of the car dont need a clear bra ( eg roof, doors, trunk hood) - is it because the main purpose is to protect against debris that attacks the car from the front?

6) Have there been any disaster installs? Can it be redone if done poorly?

7) What if some debris hits the hood and penetrates the clear bra -- how is it repaired? Does the entire clear bra need to be redone?

8) Does installing a clear bra viloate any Infiniti paint/rust warranties?

Many thanks
G35-2-B
Thornhill, Ontario
1) ClearBras are a film that is installed over the paint, so if you have swirl marks and scratches you will need to buff them out before installation or you're SOL. After the film is installed the only way to repair the paint below it is to remove the film, so make your appointment before you have any problems.

2)Your dealer can make arrangements for installation, but I would recommend looking for a 3m certified installer in your area and make an appointment yourself. I've been told that 3m is a much better film than those made by competitors.

3) You aren't supposed to wash the car for the first 48 hours following installation, but after that it's business as usual. Just wax/polish/zaino over it to get the best life out of the film.

4) Yes, I had the film installed on my mirrors, fenders, hood and bumper(front 1/3)

5) It's for debris that flies off other vehicles and is installed in the most common direct hit spots.

6) Yes there have been disaster installs, but the film can be easily removed and redone. I would strongly recommend finding a 3m certified installer.

7) As far as I know the damaged portion of the film would need to be removed and replaced. The newer films are quite tough, so it's quite rare that anything will penetrate it.

8) No it doesn't violate any part of the paint/rust warranty.

Last edited by Christian; 01-09-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:39 PM
To find a 3m Certified Installer go to:

Find a Certified Installer

Old 01-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Many thanks for the great reply.

I checked out the 3m link.....odd that there are no certified Toronto dealers....will have to risk some stone chips just to get to one!

Old 01-09-2007, 01:49 PM
It is strange that there aren't any 3m certified installers in T.O.

The problem with letting the dealer do the install or arrange the install is they are looking to get them installed as quick as possible and at the lowest cost they can get. My stealership uses avery film which is much cheaper, but it doesn't offer the same level of protection and it only cost me $95 more to get 3M installed by a professional and it covers more surface than the avery kit.

I'm not sure if that list includes all certified installers, maybe another member from T.O. can chime in with a good installer or search the board for other posts as the clear bra is discussed quite frequently.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Mystery solved. I checked out some and they have other branches in the GTA. I think perhaps the 3m site just lists the head offices or main branches.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 01-09-2007, 05:01 PM
picus - thanks.

Can you elaborate on your comment re "Tint is Solarguard, not 3M, this makes me happy."

Are there two camps out there : 3m and non-3m???

Old 01-09-2007, 05:06 PM
3M makes terrible tint, I'm pretty sure we're on the same side here.