G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Aftermarket Wood Kit & Chrome Pillars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 01:41 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes it glues on ontop of the current trim that you have. My brothers 2001 TL had a good quality stick on wood kit and it looked great, never peeled off or anything.

Also, Christian, I agree with your statements as well. not out of line at all IMO.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:46 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by vstrizheus
Yes it glues on ontop of the current trim that you have. My brothers 2001 TL had a good quality stick on wood kit and it looked great, never peeled off or anything.

Also, Christian, I agree with your statements as well. not out of line at all IMO.
From my experience, it actually uses 3M double-sided tape to stick on and not glue. I installed an aftermarket kit on my 03 and that is what it was. I am pretty sure that most of them use 3M tape.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:50 AM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by kre62
Well heres where your glad handing and back patting and theories start to break down. When myself and others have asked politely several times with no response. What excuse do you have for that? I only got attitude when it became obvious that you would not answer reasonable questions and seemed to be purposely dodging even acknowledging the questions whatsoever. That sounds, like someone else in the thread pointed out, like a shady bastard I wouldnt want to deal with anyway. May not be true, but thats how you came across. So fix your attitude and Ill fix mine chief, youre the cause AND the solution!
Keep that p!ss poor attitude up bro and you won't receive an ounce of help from ANYONE here!! I just love how some new members join here with such a crappy attitude and expect instant answers from other members. Sorry bro, but it doesn't work that way.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
From my experience, it actually uses 3M double-sided tape to stick on and not glue. I installed an aftermarket kit on my 03 and that is what it was. I am pretty sure that most of them use 3M tape.
Hey GC (can I shorten like that? )...what's your impression of your aftermarket kit that goes on top of the original finish? Does it rattle or buzz and does it look good, in your opinion?

BTW, my G should be here in about 2 weeks...she's Garnet Ember, too!

Old 01-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by sprintdammit
Hey GC (can I shorten like that? )...what's your impression of your aftermarket kit that goes on top of the original finish? Does it rattle or buzz and does it look good, in your opinion?

BTW, my G should be here in about 2 weeks...she's Garnet Ember, too!
I really liked the aftermarket kit that I had in my 03 G. Having a wood interior is not everyone's cup of tea, but I got tons of compliments on it. The reason I put it in my 03 was mainly to hide the plastic console. As you are probably aware, the interior in the 03 wasn't anywhere near the quality that the 07 has, so this was my way of sprucing up the interior a little. The kit that I installed was a facory match to the existing wood I had on my shifter and door handles. It was real wood as well.

I had the kit for 3 years and it never rattled or buzzed at all and would get one again on the right vehicle. I will definitley not be putting a kit in my 07 since I really love the washi aluminum trim and also a wood kit just wouldn't suit my GE Sport. Below is a picture of my 03 with the kit installed.

Oh, and congrats on the purcahse of your GE G......you're gonna love it!

Attached Files
File Type: doc
dash kit.doc (65.5 KB, 50 views)
Old 01-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I am not a fan of woodgrain trim, it really isn't for me, but I did see Shane's 03 when we were on the EC visiting. I must say I was very impressed. It looked very good in his G, and as he stated it was an aftermarket kit.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:09 AM
I really liked the aftermarket kit that I had in my 03 G. Having a wood interior is not everyone's cup of tea, but I got tons of compliments on it. The reason I put it in my 03 was mainly to hide the plastic console. As you are probably aware, the interior in the 03 wasn't anywhere near the quality that the 07 has, so this was my way of sprucing up the interior a little. The kit that I installed was a facory match to the existing wood I had on my shifter and door handles. It was real wood as well.
Thanks! I'm not sure what I'll think of the washi aluminum trim, given some time to adapt to it. It's not my fave at this point, but it may grow on me.

I'm really dying to get my car! I still haven't seen a GE in person.

Maybe I shouldn't be so annoyed by that...it means that my car will be even more unique here in Austin!

Old 01-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by sprintdammit
Thanks! I'm not sure what I'll think of the washi aluminum trim, given some time to adapt to it. It's not my fave at this point, but it may grow on me.

I'm really dying to get my car! I still haven't seen a GE in person.

Maybe I shouldn't be so annoyed by that...it means that my car will be even more unique here in Austin!
At first I really wanted the African Rosewood interior, but wasn't able to get it with the Sport model of course. Like you, I wasn't sure what to expect of the washi aluminum trim either, but now that I have seen it in person I love it. It really suits the Sport model well.

I know what you mean about not seeing the GE in person. I waited over 5 long months for mine to arrive and the whole time I was waiting I never got to see the GE in person.......or any other color for that matter. My first time seeing the new G in person and was the day I picked it up.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Waxer

I had the kit for 3 years and it never rattled or buzzed at all and would get one again on the right vehicle. I will definitley not be putting a kit in my 07 since I really love the washi aluminum trim and also a wood kit just wouldn't suit my GE Sport. Below is a picture of my 03 with the kit installed.

Oh, and congrats on the purcahse of your GE G......you're gonna love it!
I have to agree with Garnet Canuck I did exactly the samething with my '03. Had it installed by the dealer for free. Never had any problems with it. Again have to agree the '07 aluminum is MUCH better looking so I may keep it that way.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Traveling Administrator
I forgot to mention that I purchased my aftermarket kit from www.sherwooddash.com. The kit cost me $275 and I installed it myself......which is very easy. This is a real wood kit as well. Sherwood Dash doesn't have one listed for the 07 G yet, but I am sure they will release one soon.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:17 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
The dash kit in Kenny's pics looks the same as the one below. Very expensive. $$$

http://www.yocar.com/2007-Infiniti-G...-P425C117.aspx
While I was at the dealer today, I asked about wood kits for my car and I was given a postcard with information about this exact kit. I can scan and post if anyone is interested.

The sales person also gave me the phone number of their installer who happened to be in my area code. I talked to the installer by cell while I was waiting for my car and I asked about the kit. She said they are NOT glue ons. They buy cores from the dealer, process them, then install the complete kit into the car (after they take out the customer cores of course). She also said that their kit was NOT real wood, citing that real wood cracks and splits over time.

I asked the dealer if they had any other car on the lot with this company's kit installed that I could check out and they happened to have an M35 on the lot. I must admit that it looked pretty good. All the pieces felt solid (of course since they were attached to the car).

For the bad news, this company ONLY sells to dealers and not direct to customers. The kit is also pretty expensive ... my dealer said it would be $1000 installed. According to the website, they do not seem to make the pieces that go around the air ducts either like on the one photographed by the OP, which I think makes it look better.

On another note ... I read somewhere that the factory wood on an M is made of a thin layer of REAL wood.

EDIT: I had to say this too ... the dealership had an 06 Lamborghini Gallardo on the lot for sale too if anyone is interested ($145K) .

Last edited by terrycs; 01-21-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by terrycs
While I was at the dealer today, I asked about wood kits for my car and I was given a postcard with information about this exact kit. I can scan and post if anyone is interested.

The sales person also gave me the phone number of their installer who happened to be in my area code. I talked to the installer by cell while I was waiting for my car and I asked about the kit. She said they are NOT glue ons. They buy cores from the dealer, process them, then install the complete kit into the car (after they take out the customer cores of course). She also said that their kit was NOT real wood, citing that real wood cracks and splits over time.

I asked the dealer if they had any other car on the lot with this company's kit installed that I could check out and they happened to have an M35 on the lot. I must admit that it looked pretty good. All the pieces felt solid (of course since they were attached to the car).

For the bad news, this company ONLY sells to dealers and not direct to customers. The kit is also pretty expensive ... my dealer said it would be $1000 installed. According to the website, they do not seem to make the pieces that go around the air ducts either like on the one photographed by the OP, which I think makes it look better.

On another note ... I read somewhere that the factory wood on an M is made of a thin layer of REAL wood.

EDIT: I had to say this too ... the dealership had an 06 Lamborghini Gallardo on the lot for sale too if anyone is interested ($145K) .

I can't believe for that price it is not real wood. My real wood kit on my G never split or crack whatsoever, and that was 3 years after I installed it.

Oh, how much were the payments on the Gallardo, I might be interested.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:59 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I can't believe for that price it is not real wood. My real wood kit on my G never split or crack whatsoever, and that was 3 years after I installed it.

Oh, how much were the payments on the Gallardo, I might be interested.
The payments are actually no that bad on the Lambo. I figure if you negotiate a little and drop a $100K down, it should be about the same as the G35!

Old 01-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At first I really wanted the African Rosewood interior, but wasn't able to get it with the Sport model of course. Like you, I wasn't sure what to expect of the washi aluminum trim either, but now that I have seen it in person I love it. It really suits the Sport model well.

I know what you mean about not seeing the GE in person. I waited over 5 long months for mine to arrive and the whole time I was waiting I never got to see the GE in person.......or any other color for that matter. My first time seeing the new G in person and was the day I picked it up.
After having spent an entire day in a brand new '07 loaner, I really like the Washi aluminum, it's not gaudy, has a nice finish to it, looks very classy IMO. I think Infiniti has evolved nicely over the past 5 years since the first G came out, even in the subsequent '05-'06 update, the aluminum adds a lot to the interior. (LOL, am I biased or what?)

Old 01-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
After having spent an entire day in a brand new '07 loaner, I really like the Washi aluminum, it's not gaudy, has a nice finish to it, looks very classy IMO. I think Infiniti has evolved nicely over the past 5 years since the first G came out, even in the subsequent '05-'06 update, the aluminum adds a lot to the interior. (LOL, am I biased or what?)
Yep, you are biased for sure Tom, but I agree with you 100% .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wood Kit & Chrome Pillars