G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Does AWD do anything for dry pavement handling?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back on subject of DRY PAVEMENT (this is a first, I usually take it off subject):

AWD is great, its predictable, offers early accel out of tighter corners and what not. Given two equal cars, only differing in drivetrain (AWD/RWD), around a tight track where grip for acceleration is crucial, the AWD will probably win.

Given a larger track with more sweepers and longer acceleration times, a RWD has an advantage simply because it will carry less weight and have to accelerate two fewer wheels reducing drag on the engine (less drivetrain loss). Also, the less weight it has to carry should also theoretically shorten braking distances and improve handling.

I chose my 6mt sport because, when it comes down to it, its far from pure, but it's the least diluted driving experience offered by Infiniti in 4 door form. It also has some luxury. My old STi (with active center differentials, and adjustable center diff) was performance oriented to the bone. It didn't have any bells or whistles, but it was easy to drive hard. It was always fun and quick, but there was no drama. You input, and the STi decides and applies its technical ability. There is no soul in it.

The G on the other hand, requires that extra bit of caution where it is wise in application and removal of the gas pedal. However, you can use the ability to control oversteer and understeer with the gas.

AWD dulls that experience. It is truly neutral in the sense that it has the disadvantages of FWD, but if coaxed hard enough, can have the advantages of RWD.

Generally speaking, AWD is a good compromise and is eaiser to push to its limit, but I think if you can drive 10/10ths, RWD has more potential.

Last edited by CFar; 02-16-2007 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:45 AM
Smile

Given a larger track with more sweepers and longer acceleration times, a RWD has an advantage simply because it will carry less weight and have to accelerate two fewer wheels reducing drag on the engine (less drivetrain loss). Also, the less weight it has to carry should also theoretically shorten braking distances and improve handling
I'll give you less weight but I'm not sure about drivetrain loss. When you need it the traction is there to accelerate faster out of the corners than the RWD. When your on the staights and sweepers it doesn't need AWD and won't be using it so weight disadvantage, but not driveline loss. And I think weight disadvantage would be swallowed up by faster corners. Just my thoughts. Go X!

Old 02-16-2007, 04:00 AM
Originally Posted by CFar
Generally speaking, AWD is a good compromise and is eaiser to push to its limit, but I think if you can drive 10/10ths, RWD has more potential.

Even if say a 911 turbo would outperform a GT3 on the track, I would still prefer the rwd example.

I think at this point like automatic vs manual, it all comes down to preference. Technology has bridged the gap and leveled the playing field for much of these questions, it all just comes down to what you enjoy.

RWD and 6mt are not sacred anymore.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by caveman666
I'll give you less weight but I'm not sure about drivetrain loss. When you need it the traction is there to accelerate faster out of the corners than the RWD. When your on the staights and sweepers it doesn't need AWD and won't be using it so weight disadvantage, but not driveline loss. And I think weight disadvantage would be swallowed up by faster corners. Just my thoughts. Go X!
You're right, I forgot about the ATTESSA system. I was thinking the experience I have with AWD being full time.

Zee2G: I agree with you totally, aside from the 6mt and RWD being sacred; it is to me

Cheers

Old 02-18-2007, 02:55 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by treacherous
Any caveats to running in Snow Mode on dry pavement? I realize this is something that would not normally be desired but could this be utilized to reduce throttle sensitivity for a driver not accustomed to the G's power? Maybe even enhance city fuel mileage or would activation of full drivetrain mute any mileage benefits if any?
I've never owned an X, but IIRC snow mode is only operable up to 12 MPH. I could be wrong though.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:42 PM
Yeah that's what I thought. Just thinking of a few things that might help acclimate my wife to the car when we get it. I know throttle is quite a bit more agressive that the '02 Maxima she is familiar with driving.
I had to laugh out loud when I read this. Before I got married, we got rid of my wife's car. I put her in my 97 Lincoln Continental (4.6 DOHC V8, 260 hp), and she was coming in from a 91 Ford Taurus and her dad's old K car. That was a very interesting first few drives. hahahaha.

I'm super glad that the G has stability control. Otherwise, I'd worry about her on the road.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Any caveats to running in Snow Mode on dry pavement? I realize this is something that would not normally be desired but could this be utilized to reduce throttle sensitivity for a driver not accustomed to the G's power? Maybe even enhance city fuel mileage or would activation of full drivetrain mute any mileage benefits if any?
If it's anything like the snow mode in my wife's Volvo, all it does is lock out 1st gear. Basically it's designed to reduce the torque that gets to the wheels at initial acceleration, hopefully reducing wheelspin.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by MoCoG
If it's anything like the snow mode in my wife's Volvo, all it does is lock out 1st gear. Basically it's designed to reduce the torque that gets to the wheels at initial acceleration, hopefully reducing wheelspin.
It doesn't work that way. It just distributes the power to all 4 wheels under 30Km/h.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:17 AM
It cuts back on the throttle, It can't lockout first gear because I have a manual!

Old 02-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah service manual states....

"The snow mode is used for driving or starting the vehicle on snowy roads or slippery areas. If the snow mode is activated, the vehicle speed will not be accelerated immediately than your original pedal in due to avoid the
vehicle slip....... :-)

It basically dulls the throttle response, although power is not reduced.

This is demonstrated by back-to-back runs at the dragstrip, one in snow mode, one not. The runs were identical to the thousandth of a second over a quarter mile.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AWD should always be quicker on fast cars that have the ability to break the wheels loose on a RWD car. any bit of power you can transfer to alternate wheels. even if it's only a few % will move the car faster from a stop or lower speeds(40+ MPH shouldn't make any difference). with the amount of power in a 300+ HP vehicle, any bit helps. I originally was thinking that Infiniti would go AWD across the board and not offer a RWD only sedan, like Audi, even a sports model benefits from AWD at a negligible loss in power train efficiency and gas mileage.

AWD gains you the benefit of more rubber on the road.

I would have loved to have the G35S with AWD.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by kring
I would have loved to have the G35S with AWD.
+1

I would have liked the seats. bigger wheels. Paddle shifters/MT. Would be nice to have the options.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by mike714
Acura has SH-AWD on some stuff now that's supposed to improve handling on dry pavement. Is there any benefit to the G35's AWD when the roads aren't slippery? Is there any downside to AWD other than the added cost, weight and complexity? I've never driven an AWD car so excuse my ignorance if these are noob questions.

Depends what kind of AWD. For true enthusiasts though, RWD allows a bit more control and the extra weight of AWD is always a minus. In real world conditions, I would always get AWD if it were as readily available of an option as it is on the G. The only thing is that gas mileage is a bit worse.