G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Speaker Adaptation - Does it Actually Work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Speaker Adaptation - Does it Actually Work?

Have any of you tried the Speaker Adaptation Training described on Pages 4-77 through 4-79 of the User Manual? This is supposed to be another learning function for Voice Recognition, but I am unable (after several attempts) to get it to work.

The manual states that in order to activate this process, you need to have the car running, in Park, with the Emergency Brake engaged. Once you do this you are supposed to hold down the "Phone/Send" button for more than 5 seconds. After the 5-second wait, the system is supposed to be activated, and proceed to prompt you to repeat a series of commands that are supposed to create a "voice profile". The objective here is to make voice recognition more efficient, and accurate.

Well, guess what, I have tried this several times, and the system does not even activated after 5+ seconds.

Is this a problem or another feature that Infiniti decided to leave out at the last minute?

Thanks.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:52 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by gstais
Have any of you tried the Speaker Adaptation Training described on Pages 4-77 through 4-79 of the User Manual? This is supposed to be another learning function for Voice Recognition, but I am unable (after several attempts) to get it to work.

The manual states that in order to activate this process, you need to have the car running, in Park, with the Emergency Brake engaged. Once you do this you are supposed to hold down the "Phone/Send" button for more than 5 seconds. After the 5-second wait, the system is supposed to be activated, and proceed to prompt you to repeat a series of commands that are supposed to create a "voice profile". The objective here is to make voice recognition more efficient, and accurate.

Well, guess what, I have tried this several times, and the system does not even activated after 5+ seconds.

Is this a problem or another feature that Infiniti decided to leave out at the last minute?

Thanks.
Does the default system have problems understanding you? I believe this process is helpful if you speak with an accent and the system misses what you say a lot, otherwise you might be wasting your time. I did it to fool around with it while waiting for the wife with the car off and it worked.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by terrycs
Does the default system have problems understanding you? I believe this process is helpful if you speak with an accent and the system misses what you say a lot, otherwise you might be wasting your time. I did it to fool around with it while waiting for the wife with the car off and it worked.
Yes, sometimes the system misinterprets my voice commands. And no, I don't speak with an accent.

My issue is I can't even get the option to work. When I hold down the Phone/Send button for more than 5 seconds, nothing happens (Which side of the button are you supposed to depress, anyway?)

Old 02-22-2007, 10:54 AM
You can also get into training via the settings menu I believe. I did it the first night I had the car - voice training helps any voice recognition system.

As for hints to help it work a little bit better - hitting the Enter button (on the steering wheel) after issuing a voice command will tell the system to stop capture and start figuring out what you just said. I have found this increases accuracy as it will be less likely to think that cabin noise or other people asking questions are a command.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:10 PM
I couldn't enter phone numbers right until I did this. It would always give me zero instead of four. I followed the instructions as they are in the manual and everything worked just fine. I don't have a funny accent either, it was just a problem with four. Now the system works everytime. If you read the manual it tells you exactly which buttons to press (the phone button is actually two).

Old 02-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NewMexicoG
I couldn't enter phone numbers right until I did this. It would always give me zero instead of four. I followed the instructions as they are in the manual and everything worked just fine. I don't have a funny accent either, it was just a problem with four. Now the system works everytime. If you read the manual it tells you exactly which buttons to press (the phone button is actually two).
+1

After reading this thread, tried it - worked great, too soon to know what the improvement is.