G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

S.O.W. Settings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CarNutz
Paper cones are more accurate and less colored sounding than poly material. They can also last just as long when treated properly.
That's right, when a manufacturer designs speakers they have to trade off strength/durability and flexibility. A coated paper cone can produce very true to life sound but it probably isn't strong enough to move the volume of air desired in a 15" powered sub. Bose doesn't just use paper cones to save money like many people think.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garbage in ----Garbage out.
The MOW seems quite fine in my '07. The problem is as someone has stated here, elsewhere, that most are used to the quasi-track-simulation playback of other systems pushing the distortion to the point of it beconming the norm. With the new Burr-Brown DAC playback heads you hear the recording that way it was made...for all it falutls and/or benefits. Clarity!
I have played a few CD.'s that came with a warning on volumne changes and to be prepared and they were downright spooky [SPIES, Telarc-Digital]. And then other recordings, hopefuly to blast the system away, that turned out to be quite bland.
As for those that use the iPod or MP3 to cram as much as they can onto a single disc or playback system...they are merely increasing quantity and pushing quality into the basement.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by SPEEED
My bass and treble are cranked all the way up. Fade and Balance are centered.
ok i made this change yesterday afterwork and i must say there is a difference..i like it!!!

Old 04-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UltimateGee27
ok i made this change yesterday afterwork and i must say there is a difference..i like it!!!
I was going to post the same thing, I tried this as well last night and I think I like it, I'll need to try some more sources of music and listen for a bit. Then I'll set it back to default and see which sounds better.

I did notice how much louder the system is when both are are set at max. seems like it added 3-4 more bars of volume.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by kring
I was going to post the same thing, I tried this as well last night and I think I like it, I'll need to try some more sources of music and listen for a bit. Then I'll set it back to default and see which sounds better.

I did notice how much louder the system is when both are are set at max. seems like it added 3-4 more bars of volume.
yea man it does sound alot louder doesnt it?

Old 04-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Bad Toro
yea man it does sound alot louder doesnt it?
That's a good thing, right?

Old 04-05-2007, 01:35 PM
yea its a wonderful thing...i listen to some crazy music. I like driving my G fast..so u can understand im not listening to Bach or bETHOVEN

Old 04-05-2007, 01:45 PM
LOL. Maybe try "Flight of the Bumble bee" - Or "Ride of the Valkyries"...

I read this thread and first thought that it'd just boost the volume and not affect the actual frequencies. I was WRONG. Those settings really do enhance the upper and lower frequencies.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:46 PM
its funny cuz when i first read speed's reply i was like whoaaaaa he must be crazy..but then it is i who am crazy for keeping the settings too low worried i might blow a speaker

Old 04-05-2007, 06:29 PM
[QUOTE=G-Whizzer]LOL. Maybe try "Flight of the Bumble bee" - Or "Ride of the Valkyries"..QUOTE]

Exactly, gauranteed to increase speed by 20 MPH.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Months ago there was a lot of debate about the SOW, including a visit from John Feng who was in large part responsible for the SOW. I think he was an accoustic engineer. It was interesting because there were two distict camps on how car audio should be imaged (sound stage).

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...ht=sound+stage

Anyways one of the things that came out of that thread were that the large woofers in the front and a 2 channel experience end up with the SOW being front biased, rather than surround like most other cars. Someone suggested actually fading slightly to the front. I've tried this and found it to be my preferred listening. The front end of the system sounds much clearer to me and if I fade towards the rear there is a noticable muddiness that gets introduced.

Just my opinion and experience. I understand the systems limitations, but I'm not going to bash it, because 95% of my listening is from compressed sources - mp3 and xm radio. So there's an element of garbage in- garbage out there. Overall I'm happy with the system although sometimes I wish it went to 11

Last edited by 95se; 04-07-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Bad Toro
its funny cuz when i first read speed's reply i was like whoaaaaa he must be crazy..but then it is i who am crazy for keeping the settings too low worried i might blow a speaker
Nah...

I always have to crank the treble up to get the sound to sound more crispier, otherwise it sounds too muted and "vague". Then I crank the bass along so the high trebles don't make the sound too lean. On the SOW though, we could definitely use a little bit more bass.

All in all, the SOW is a great sound system. Definitely an upgrade over my 04 Blose.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After driving around with B & T set at max I then put it back to center and it's not as good, so I maxed it out again and over the last day I listed to a lot of different music from rap, pop, clasical, acoustic etc... and I found my sweet spot, it's maxed on B & T, then back down the Bass by 2, and back down the trebble by 1. I noticed that on some music that was bass heavy it wasn't as tight when on max. and I noticed that on most music the trebble at max was a bit too harsh when you have really high sounds like triangles and such.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:12 PM
I'm not the engineer ...

Originally Posted by 95se
Months ago there was a lot of debate about the SOW, including a visit from John Feng who was in large part responsible for the SOW. I think he was an accoustic engineer. It was interesting because there were two distict camps on how car audio should be imaged (sound stage).
The lead engineer on this project is an accomplished musician and talented engineer. I happen to be his boss. Credit (or blame if you prefer) for the SOW goes to Thomas Crahan at Infiniti (who made it possible to put a better foot forward than had been allowed the the original G), the Bose lead engineer, who actually created the sound of SOW, and ... okay I don't mind taking a very small amount of credit for trying to bring everyone better factory sound systems in the face of enormous cost, weight and packaging pressure.

Originally Posted by 95se
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...ht=sound+stage

Anyways one of the things that came out of that thread were that the large woofers in the front and a 2 channel experience end up with the SOW being front biased, rather than surround like most other cars. Someone suggested actually fading slightly to the front. I've tried this and found it to be my preferred listening. The front end of the system sounds much clearer to me and if I fade towards the rear there is a noticable muddiness that gets introduced.
Going from front to middle on the fader dials in the rear Nd Woofer. This adds considerably more acoustic energy in the bass (particularly down below 45Hz). Increasing the bass energy will ALWAYS have the effect of masking some of the midrange detail. It's a fundamental fact of how our hearing systems work. Think of it as a version of, "there's no free lunch." More bass might sound better on dream theater, but it might take some of the crispness out of an acoustic set by another musician.

The system is designed to sound accurate and lifelike with everything at detent. But the tone controls are there to satisfy personal preference. Perhaps you like a leaner but cleaner sound. Fading forward or turning the bass down 1 click will give you more of that sound.

Do you really wish it played louder?

John Feng
Manager, Acoustic System Engineering
Bose Corporation

Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by feng
Do you really wish it played louder?
um, Yes, I really do wish it played louder. The system in my Pathfinder sounds so much "fuller" and richer than the SOW.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S.O.W. Settings