G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

S.O.W. Settings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am very pleased with the SOW system. I have my B & T turned up as well, but not maxed. I found the maxed settings to be a bit too much. I think I have them set down a notch or 2 from max. When I set the volume to about 70 - 75% I find the best quality... the sweet spot if you will. I can feel the bass through out the car (especially in my seat) and it just has an overall feeling of quality.

My Dad has the M35x with the 14 speaker Bose system and it sounds amazing. Especially if you play DVD quality music. Which just reiterates what has already been said, but if you put quality music in, you get quality music out. The M system is probably a bit better if you ask me, but it should be for 15k more sticker price.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To each his own, I think the SOW system sounds great. The soundstage is superb, and the mid bass is adequate. If you want a truck thumper, spend the jack to add it. I am sure it can be done.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mbonus
To each his own, I think the SOW system sounds great. The soundstage is superb, and the mid bass is adequate. If you want a truck thumper, spend the jack to add it. I am sure it can be done.
I agree with you about the sound stage 100%. I was always quite happy with the sound quality of the SoW, but recently I have noticed that the sound is particularly full. It gives the impression that the vocals are coming from in front of you as opposed to coming from the doors, I think this is quite an accomplishment for a OEM car audio system.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:47 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I am thinking of putting a 12" in the trunk. Just so I can have the "thump" when I want/need it.

I am perfectly satisfied with the way SOW performs right now though.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:30 AM
I can't seem to get enough volume out of it. And no, I'm not necessiarily looking for any thumping...I just enjoy loud music. Perhaps its my hearing

Old 06-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by feng
The lead engineer on this project is an accomplished musician and talented engineer. I happen to be his boss. Credit (or blame if you prefer) for the SOW goes to Thomas Crahan at Infiniti (who made it possible to put a better foot forward than had been allowed the the original G), the Bose lead engineer, who actually created the sound of SOW, and ... okay I don't mind taking a very small amount of credit for trying to bring everyone better factory sound systems in the face of enormous cost, weight and packaging pressure.

Going from front to middle on the fader dials in the rear Nd Woofer. This adds considerably more acoustic energy in the bass (particularly down below 45Hz). Increasing the bass energy will ALWAYS have the effect of masking some of the midrange detail. It's a fundamental fact of how our hearing systems work. Think of it as a version of, "there's no free lunch." More bass might sound better on dream theater, but it might take some of the crispness out of an acoustic set by another musician.

The system is designed to sound accurate and lifelike with everything at detent. But the tone controls are there to satisfy personal preference. Perhaps you like a leaner but cleaner sound. Fading forward or turning the bass down 1 click will give you more of that sound.

Do you really wish it played louder?

John Feng
Manager, Acoustic System Engineering
Bose Corporation
john, i just wanted to say THANK YOU for being involved in finally producing a sound system from the factory that strives to produce the quality and focus that a real sound system is supposed to, and not the automotive atrocities that are both OEM and aftermarket solutions these days. the only thing i wished i had was time delay, but i found out the 08 will have that feature.... that made me sad because i had no idea (and probably would have waited for it!)

regardless, very good job, bose has earned new respect from me (i was never a fan)! thanks for doing what few have dared to accomplish.

regards,
-Ash

Old 06-09-2007, 04:03 AM
Perhaps you like a leaner but cleaner sound. Fading forward or turning the bass down 1 click will give you more of that sound.
That's how I have mine setup. However I had to pull the treble up two clicks to make it sound right for my ears. Just for kicks I tested it with an RTA (car stopped with engine running). For closest to flat frequency response, bass was at -1 and treble at +3.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the SOW. I don't understand why some say the SOW lacks bass in the other thread. Maybe I'm getting old .

Old 06-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Someone tell me if this is correct. The speakers and head unit in the SOW is not actually a Bose product. The only hand Bose has in this is doing the acoustics? This is what someone told me, please tell me if he is wrong.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:57 AM
only a handful of "manufacturers" actually manufacture their drivers/head units/etc.

there are invisible behemoths behind the scenes that do most of the manufactures in terms of OEM'ing products for all the other guys. names like peerless, vifa, eminence, etc...

i don't know if bose is a true manufacturer or a design house (like most) but if it's the latter, it's not uncommon or implicative of any weakness.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:33 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The lead engineer on this project is an accomplished musician and talented engineer. I happen to be his boss. Credit (or blame if you prefer) for the SOW goes to Thomas Crahan at Infiniti (who made it possible to put a better foot forward than had been allowed the the original G), the Bose lead engineer, who actually created the sound of SOW, and ... okay I don't mind taking a very small amount of credit for trying to bring everyone better factory sound systems in the face of enormous cost, weight and packaging pressure.

John Feng
Manager, Acoustic System Engineering
Bose Corporation
Hey John, thanks for caring enough about your products to keep track of it in the forums, and for adding helpful detail about the technology and its design.

I personally love the SOW, sounds great over a wide range of music (and I'm not always a Bose fan )

Old 06-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Some facts about the premium audio business

Originally Posted by Altersys
only a handful of "manufacturers" actually manufacture their drivers/head units/etc.

there are invisible behemoths behind the scenes that do most of the manufactures in terms of OEM'ing products for all the other guys. names like peerless, vifa, eminence, etc...

i don't know if bose is a true manufacturer or a design house (like most) but if it's the latter, it's not uncommon or implicative of any weakness.
In both home and automotive markets, a lot of companies buy parts from a handful of speaker suppliers. It's not atypical for a large speaker conglomerate to provide cosmetically differentiated parts to competing audio brands. Even most of the highest end home companies buy much if not most of their speakers and cabinets from far eastern suppliers.

Anyway, on the SOW system, the amps, speakers and all signal processing & EQ are from Bose. I know guy who designed the amps sits next door, the main speaker designer seats next to my old office, etc. The headunit is from another Nissan supplier (2 different ones, actually).

John Feng
Bose Corporation

Old 06-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Where the vocals come from...

Originally Posted by ChristianN
I agree with you about the sound stage 100%. I was always quite happy with the sound quality of the SoW, but recently I have noticed that the sound is particularly full. It gives the impression that the vocals are coming from in front of you as opposed to coming from the doors, I think this is quite an accomplishment for a OEM car audio system.
Every Bose automotive system is designed to provide a life-like reproduction of tonal balance and spectral presentation. That means voices come from in front. Bass does NOT come from the back. The violins are on the left and double bass on the right. No part of the sound stage should be located down around your ankles. After all, when you go to a live concert, the vocalist isn't normally plastered on a wall to your left side (or maybe you need to turn your car around).

If you ever buy a Bose automotive audio system where the vocals don't come from in front of you, or the sound stage is on the door ... something is wrong with it. If your preamp settings are all "flat" and the staging is wrong, call our support line (number is on the bose website).

John Feng
Bose Corporation

P.S. It may be hard to believe, but even a Bose employee can be a car and audio enthusiast.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Preference is ... preference

Originally Posted by Blaxima
I can't seem to get enough volume out of it. And no, I'm not necessiarily looking for any thumping...I just enjoy loud music. Perhaps its my hearing
You know guys. If you like it with B&T all the way up, that's just fine.
For those of you who find the range of adjustment insufficient ... I'm sympathetic, but I'll risk being too direct and say your preference is WAY out of what could be considered accurate and we just can't accomodate your needs. Sorry.

Not loud enough? Well, for some people it's like what they say about horsepower (there's never enough). There are some practical considerations for an OEM audio system that come into play here. What do you think Nissan would say if we asked them to put yards of heavier gauge wiring, a second battery and a couple of 1 farad caps? Would most G35 drivers mind carrying around an extra 100lbs just so the audio system could play 3dB louder? Car design is a game of compromises. But each of us has preferences that are rarely perfectly matched by the Nissan designers compromises. That's why there's an aftermarket industry.

Personally, I like the nimblness of the G, and wouldn't want to compromise that for a little more loudness. But, that's just me.

John Feng
Bose Corporation.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:22 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
i am 1 to the rear on the fade, treble cranked, and base 2

Old 06-17-2007, 12:36 AM
You know guys. If you like it with B&T all the way up, that's just fine.
For those of you who find the range of adjustment insufficient ... I'm sympathetic, but I'll risk being too direct and say your preference is WAY out of what could be considered accurate and we just can't accomodate your needs. Sorry.
+100.

the way i see it, a premium automotive sound system that is not aftermarket (ie, designed specifically for that vehicle) was designed to sound ideal with flat settings. changing those settings is like changing the intended use of the product, that was painstakingly programmed in. it's kind of like throwing on a cold air filter and not retuning the car, and then expecting a perfect result. it just doesn't work that way.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S.O.W. Settings