G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Underdash rattle - fixed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Underdash rattle - fixed

Besides the passenger side sunroof seal not being pushed all the way forward into the hook, etc., and the 'roof' of the trunk not having both velcro points attached, there was one rattle I couldn't find in the week and a half since I took delivery.

Searched this site several ways and got some good ideas where to look. Found an access panel under the passenger side dash closing off the area behind the glovebox door. It has a couple of hooks through rectangular holes in metal tabs toward the firewall and while the passenger side one wouldn't move, the driver side one would.

The hooks are padded but the panel can vibrate enough to have the hook make an audible sound of its own when the panel's tapped. So I took a Starbucks napkin, a few conveniently stashed in the glovebox, folded it up into a wedge to force the panel/hook up and keep it from moving....

...and the rattle disappeared. Nothing. Nada. Why exactly that side of the panel is loose is a mystery but I'm sure they'll figure out a way to fix it correctly at the stealership. Or not. Either way there's an easy fix. Hopefully the panel being loose like that doesn't indicate something's broken but that's what warranties are for.

Thanks to all who've contributed so much helpful info.

Pete

Old 04-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
See, I keep telling people.
The world IS a better place with Starbucks in it.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by justpete0
the 'roof' of the trunk not having both velcro points attached,
Can you tell me more about this? I have a rattle that seems to be coming form there rear passanger door or seat that I can not find. It tends to come and go. So I want to know more about what you found with your trunk liner to see if that is causing the rattle.

Thanks

Old 04-24-2007, 08:02 PM
03FXer, Take a look in the trunk toward the back of the rear seats where the 'roof' of the trunk is. There should be a couple of velcro points of attachment, one to the left and another to the right. You can see the staples (?) holding them in place.

If the 'roof' lining doesn't move freely when you push up on it the velcro is attached, otherwise all you have to do is push up and press to make the attachment. I think this had more to do with mushy bass but I couldn't say for sure as I did hear a rare rattle from the rear.

My car has the premium, nav, and tech pkgs so the trunk lining is different than one without the nav from what I've read. YMMV.

HTH, Pete

Old 04-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by 03FXer
Can you tell me more about this? I have a rattle that seems to be coming form there rear passanger door or seat that I can not find. It tends to come and go. So I want to know more about what you found with your trunk liner to see if that is causing the rattle.

Thanks
Tap the speaker grill on the rear shelf... Bet you find your rattle.