G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Edmunds.com Knock the 6MT's Clutch - What's Your Take?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2007 | 09:41 AM
how many times do i have to keep repeating myself that the 07 clutch is ALOT different then prior year clutch.

Old 04-26-2007 | 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by muscarel
I never minded the clutch in my '04. The only thing that was annoying was the coarsness as you shifted from 1-2 sometimes.

Has that gone away in the 07 sedan? What about the tiny vibrations?
1-2 shift is still tricky ..... for me this is the first DBW car -- due to emissions (or whatever) there is a significant latency when you let off the gas before the RPMS drop.
So it needs a bit of practice to nail the 1-2

What "tiny" vibrations ??? .... the shifter still vibrates a lot .....

Old 04-26-2007 | 09:56 AM
None of these even compare to the clutch weight of my old Turbo NX. The clutch is decent and I didn't find it at all on the heavy side.

So I think the Edmunds guys maybe need to eat less and work out more

The only vibrations i have noticed is when the roads start to get rough like those in our crappy city, there is felt vibrations through the gas pedal, shifter and at times, the steering wheel.

Old 04-26-2007 | 10:22 AM
I have no problems speaking out about the aspects of the 6MT that bother me (see most prevous threads) but I don't have any complaints about the clutch weight or travel.

Old 04-27-2007 | 08:52 AM
just out of curiosty....though the clutch doesnt bother me one bit, i do notice that if you dont drive "correctly" that it will have jerky 1-2 shifts (which i know how to get around anyway)...but what exactly causes that?

Old 04-27-2007 | 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by logik05se
just out of curiosty....though the clutch doesnt bother me one bit, i do notice that if you dont drive "correctly" that it will have jerky 1-2 shifts (which i know how to get around anyway)...but what exactly causes that?
Personally, I think the biggest deal is the time it takes for the rpms to drop off once you let off the gas.
There is a latency that one needs to get used to.

Plus the gear ratio difference comes into the picture as well.

Old 04-27-2007 | 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by max2k1
Personally, I think the biggest deal is the time it takes for the rpms to drop off once you let off the gas.
There is a latency that one needs to get used to.

Plus the gear ratio difference comes into the picture as well.
its not really that...i mean if your not carefull with how you drive it and u just plant the clutch down in the first gear you will watch the passengers head jerk lol. This doesnt happen anymore for me but its only because I control it.

Old 04-27-2007 | 01:37 PM
I posted this in another thread, but, here goes again:

Does this mean that the new G37 transmission ("more refined" according to Infiniti literature) is really just the 07 sedan tranny? The ratios of the G37 are different than that of the 07 coupe and 350z but the same as teh 07 sedans.

Old 04-27-2007 | 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by logik05se
its not really that...i mean if your not carefull with how you drive it and u just plant the clutch down in the first gear you will watch the passengers head jerk lol. This doesnt happen anymore for me but its only because I control it.
Mind sharing what your new technique is ?? I don't really slam the clutch - but I have to focus on the 1-2 shift for sure ....

Old 04-27-2007 | 04:06 PM
Took an '07 out for a test drive with the 6MT.... Wanted it so-o-o o badly to get back to a clutch/standard but after a weekend of tossing and turning decided on the 5AT S.
And now hearing here and elsewhere that they are redesigning the clutch for the G37, I do believe there are some issues with it.

Old 04-27-2007 | 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by max2k1
Mind sharing what your new technique is ?? I don't really slam the clutch - but I have to focus on the 1-2 shift for sure ....
well i dont actually slam it either, i just mean when you push it in normally lol...but what i do to keep things smooth is when accelerating from first to second, before I press the clutch in first gear to shift I sort of ease off the gas slightly but still giving enough to maintain almost the speed im at. SO lets say im coming off the light, start in first and bring it to 3500 rpms, before i actually go to second i let the car bring itself to like 3300-3200 the clutch and goto second. Doing this seems to break some of the foward momentum which takes away from that abrupt shift feeling that you get.

I really happen to like the clutch on the 07 alot. The 06 coupe clutch to me was absolutly terrible even though i learned to cope with it and drive it good. The 07 to me is much easier to handle and has much better response and feel.

Old 04-27-2007 | 10:53 PM
The Edmunds write up is correct, this clutch could/should be way better. Oh well no car is perfect. trafic sucks, everything else is awesome

I dont see myself owning this car for more than a couple years, chicago traffic sucks, all the other sticks i have driven are WAY smoother

Old 04-28-2007 | 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by Mann9
Took an '07 out for a test drive with the 6MT.... Wanted it so-o-o o badly to get back to a clutch/standard but after a weekend of tossing and turning decided on the 5AT S.
And now hearing here and elsewhere that they are redesigning the clutch for the G37, I do believe there are some issues with it.
Did the same.. First test drive with the 6MT and I asked to try another because I thought it was defective, salesman agreed.
Tried a different 6MT and it was the same.. went with the 5AT.
When I drove the 2006 G35 6MT, it didnt feel as bad as the 07 G35...

Old 04-28-2007 | 08:45 AM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Rounder
The Edmunds write up is correct, this clutch could/should be way better. Oh well no car is perfect. trafic sucks, everything else is awesome

I dont see myself owning this car for more than a couple years, chicago traffic sucks, all the other sticks i have driven are WAY smoother
I agree... the long travel and high engagement drive me nuts!

The clutch is better in my wife's '02 Honda CR-V!

Old 04-28-2007 | 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by CarNutz
Did the same.. First test drive with the 6MT and I asked to try another because I thought it was defective, salesman agreed.
Tried a different 6MT and it was the same.. went with the 5AT.
When I drove the 2006 G35 6MT, it didnt feel as bad as the 07 G35...

it just needed a little time to break in...mine works 10 times better then when i first picked the car up. As far as it being better then an 06 6mt you are out of your mind. I owned the 06 and now own the 07 and its really night and day. Even a friend of mine drove it who picked up his 06 coupe the same time as me and he said how much better the clutch is. After about 600 miles the clutch broke in nicely and works much better.

And as for your wifes cr-v. Honda has one of THE best clutch/sticks out there.

If you chose the 5at over the 6mt just because of a 10 min test drive, then you probably were leaning more towards the auto in the first place and just didnt want to admit it.

Because i was stuck between the 2 before i picked it up as well, and 1 test drive and i was sold on the 6mt.

Last edited by logik05se; 04-28-2007 at 10:11 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Edmunds.com Knock the 6MT's Clutch - What's Your Take?