G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

07 Intelligent Key - Recall?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 03:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigred14
I just have a hard time believing it has anything to do with cell phones. Does anyone know of a detailed explanation on how the cell signal can completely disable the key?
The engineers haven't determined which cell phones are causing problems with the i-key but apparently it's not ALL cell phones in general. There is a specific frequency generated by certain phones when receiving calls that transmits a radio frequency to the key that scrambles its program. You know that sound that some speakers make when cell phones are close by and you're about to receive a call? It sounds like a scrambled sequence of static that speakers can pick up. The i-key has a transmit/receive radio chip that communicates with the car. Basically the key "listens" for the car to send it a radio signal from its proximity sensors and vice versa. If another device can transmit a similar but meaningless signal via radio to the i-key - the key can mistakenly think it's being reprogrammed and allows the false radio signal to rewrite its code. Once it's rewritten, then the car will no longer recognize the code in the key.

You can read more about the Siemens VDO technology in the i-key from here:
http://www.siemensvdo.com/press/rele...605-001-en.htm

Old 05-26-2007, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by d12a60n
The engineers haven't determined which cell phones are causing problems with the i-key but apparently it's not ALL cell phones in general. There is a specific frequency generated by certain phones when receiving calls that transmits a radio frequency to the key that scrambles its program. You know that sound that some speakers make when cell phones are close by and you're about to receive a call? It sounds like a scrambled sequence of static that speakers can pick up. The i-key has a transmit/receive radio chip that communicates with the car. Basically the key "listens" for the car to send it a radio signal from its proximity sensors and vice versa. If another device can transmit a similar but meaningless signal via radio to the i-key - the key can mistakenly think it's being reprogrammed and allows the false radio signal to rewrite its code. Once it's rewritten, then the car will no longer recognize the code in the key.

You can read more about the Siemens VDO technology in the i-key from here:
http://www.siemensvdo.com/press/rele...605-001-en.htm
Makes sense, I'll have to read up on that. It only explains half of it though. If the signal is simply reprogramming it, then the Key should be able to be reprogrammed with the correct signal. If the Key cannot be reprogrammed then the cell signal has to do something more then just reprogram it.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:23 AM
If the Key cannot be reprogrammed then the cell signal has to do something more then just reprogram it.

I think you're right. Well being an elec engineer, I can tell you that it may not not even be a matter of simply reflashing or rewriting the code - I'm just thinking off the top of my head. Who knows what this cell signal does to this chip - (If some one can tell me what this chip is, I can look at the data sheets and tell you). I'm guessing it's putting the chip in a permanent data loop that no longer accepts incoming signals or triggers a security code feature in the chip to lock out certain radio signals. But until those engineers do some reverse FCC testing with some phones and probe the data IO of that part, then we can't really tell how it's causing that chip to lock.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by treacherous
I wonder if any of these issues are related in any way to RFID security design in an effort to thwart hacking and reverse engineering of the device.
^ That's a very very valid theory ^ I'm guessing with it being a wireless device, security is one of the major factors in design. So maybe with all their security methods in place, they forgot one major loop hole with the cell signals

Old 05-26-2007, 12:13 PM
My horns hold up my halo
I would still rather it be *more* secure than less so - even if I do have to think about the cell phone thing.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:30 PM
This is everywhere now, do a search for intelligent Key and this letter from Nissan comes up on most of the links.

And everyone that knows I ordered my G have been telling me about it.

At least they say there will be a fix in the fall.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:03 PM
It's official now. This really is "news" as it's finally made slashdot:
http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardwar.../1927213.shtml

http://hardware.slashdot.org/comment...7&cid=19302795
Fess up, who's the person trying to slashdot g35driver

Old 05-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Spoon!
Originally Posted by dopey
It's official now. This really is "news" as it's finally made slashdot:
http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardwar.../1927213.shtml

http://hardware.slashdot.org/comment...7&cid=19302795
Fess up, who's the person trying to slashdot g35driver

That'd be me :P

Old 05-30-2007, 08:17 AM
Old 05-30-2007, 05:55 PM
That looks just like the ikey my Murano has, can anyone confirm thats what the G35 key looks like?

If so I wonder why it is isolated to just Altimas and G35's

Old 05-30-2007, 06:20 PM
That looks just like the ikey my Murano has, can anyone confirm thats what the G35 key looks like?

If so I wonder why it is isolated to just Altimas and G35's
And what about the G35 Coupe? My ikey looks the same as well. How is it that this only affects the sedans?

Old 06-03-2007, 11:02 PM
I had one key go bad and i have a treo 680 phone

Old 06-05-2007, 07:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Can two I-keys coexist together??

I have not had any issues to date regarding the i-key, and I do keep it away from my cell phone, but with the concerns expressed to date, I started carrying around my second i-key- just in case.

But I am keeping both i-keys in the same pocket! Likely not such a good idea - am I now adding to the very risk I am trying to protect against?

Old 06-05-2007, 02:02 PM
No issue yet.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:52 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
We'll only be getting the new replacement keys only if the original ones fail right?

I wish they'd give everyone 2 new keys... it'd be nice to have.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 07 Intelligent Key - Recall?