G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Is the Tech package worthwile?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2007 | 01:30 PM
Back-up camera: Problem is that my next car will have to have this. I thought it would be a novelty but it is not. The angle is so good you can see cars coming down the aisle when you are parked at an angle in the garage at the mall.

ICC: Cool, but the system needs some damping programmed into it. It's a little too jerky for my liking. Not as useful as the camera.

Adaptive Lights: All the tight corners are lit where I drive. I would use this in the UK a lot more with the winding country roads, but here it seems a little redundant.

Overall, I am happy I got the Tech Package.

Old 05-02-2007 | 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by UltimateGee27
LET ME SUM THIS UP AGAIN-

ICC- PRETTY FRIGGIN COOL IF YOU ASK ME. THE CAR DRIVES IT SELF. YOU USE THE UP AND DOWN BUTTON ON THE STEERING WHEEL TO SPEED UP OR SLOW DOWN, ALSO YOU CAN ADJUST HOW FAR YOU WANT THE RADAR TO ENGAGE..ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS STEER AND NOT FALL ASLEEP..PRETTY COOL MAN.....

BACK UP CAM - WAY BETTER THAN ANY OTHER ONE IN THE MARKET. TAKES A DUMP ON THE BIMMER CAM AND MB. WORKS GREAT AT NIGHT, INCLUDES COLORS FOR DISTANCE, AND THE GRIDS ARE ALIGNED WITH YOUR STEERING TO MOVE WITH THE STEERING WHEEL TO GUIDE YOU INTO SPOTS....PRETTY COOL MAN..

ADAPTIVE FRONT HEADLIGHTS- OK WELL I DONT KNOW WHAT TO SAY..THE HEADLIGHTS TURN WHEN I TURN. I GUESS ITS JUST TO SAY..HEY MY HEADLIGHTS TURN??? I STILL HAVE NOT YET BEEN ABLE TO ADMIT THAT WHEN TAKING A TURN MY VISION IS BETTER?

OH WELL 2/3 AINT BAD FOR 1500 BUCKS
I ONLY PAID $1100 FOR MINE!

Old 05-02-2007 | 03:01 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Shouldn't be a deal breaker, but I have it on my M and love it.
You could live without it tho.....

C.

Old 05-02-2007 | 03:41 PM
i think the backup camera would be the best part of the package :| i wish they had the camera in the navi package... damn

Old 05-02-2007 | 04:07 PM
At first I wasn't sold on the Tech package. I thought they were mostly novelties. But then I test drove a friends 07 S and with the spoiler on the back, rear visibility IMO was really limited. Even without the spoiler I think it would be difficult to judge distances.

Plus I've got two toddlers and you may never know if or when they could be behind you so from a Safety standpoint I think all cars should have a rear camera.

Third point is this is my wife's primary car and her back-up skills have never been exemplary so from that standpoint and the safety aspect it was an easy sell.

The ICC is nice and the headlights are a nice to have as well but for me it was the camera...hands down.

Old 05-02-2007 | 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Hokie_G
At first I wasn't sold on the Tech package. I thought they were mostly novelties. But then I test drove a friends 07 S and with the spoiler on the back, rear visibility IMO was really limited. Even without the spoiler I think it would be difficult to judge distances.

Plus I've got two toddlers and you may never know if or when they could be behind you so from a Safety standpoint I think all cars should have a rear camera.

Third point is this is my wife's primary car and her back-up skills have never been exemplary so from that standpoint and the safety aspect it was an easy sell.

The ICC is nice and the headlights are a nice to have as well but for me it was the camera...hands down.
I am still waiting for your pics in the lakeshore slate thread in the picture share section... I want to see some of the LEDs too!

Old 05-02-2007 | 04:21 PM
|
Thanks for all the opinions, everyone. Dealer called earlier today, not pressuring me, but asking me if I thought about it. He has a black Sport on the lot that has the tech package (I'm looking for a LP X), so I am going to test it out tonight.

Old 05-02-2007 | 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Kromax
Thanks for all the opinions, everyone. Dealer called earlier today, not pressuring me, but asking me if I thought about it. He has a black Sport on the lot that has the tech package (I'm looking for a LP X), so I am going to test it out tonight.
Well, that opens a whole other can of worms, now doesnt it?!?!

Old 05-02-2007 | 04:39 PM
I love the Tech. pkg...although I think th rear-view cam. is really spoiling me!

Old 05-02-2007 | 04:54 PM
I hear ya Sean. I know I need to post some pics. I just need to get a clean car first. Living on a gravel road is not conducive to good clean car shots. I'll do it though. BTW the LEDs are really sweet...

Old 05-02-2007 | 07:38 PM
gao
Hey Kromax, dont be like me and regret not getting the tech package. $1100 is cheap getting all those 3 things. It was the $2k Nav that made me not get it. But if you think of it what $40k car is it without those cool stuff? Its only 10% more....

Old 05-03-2007 | 08:40 AM
|
I had the opportunity to play with the car last night, and as hokiesean24 predicted, I did open up a "whole other can of worms"--i.e., Sport vs. X, but I was able to fight the urge to go for the Sport successfully (although if there was a LP sport with the same options, that would have been tough).

My thoughts are as follows:

-Backup camera: Very, very cool, and a major improvement over the almost useless (except looking out for little ones playing in the street) camera on my wife's Odyssey.

-ICC: It works well, but as someone pointed out above, when someone switches lanes abruptly in front of you, it kind of plays havoc with the programming. I was never a cruise control guy--other than on certain highways where it's a must, in order to avoid tickets--but I could see using this feature.

-Adaptive lights: Better than I thought they'd be, but still more of a novelty IMO.

In sum, I could easily live without all three features, but decided that I really want the package.

Thanks again for your voices, everyone.

Noah

Old 05-03-2007 | 09:53 AM
I think youll be glad you decided to wait on it. This way you wont have any "what ifs". Well other than "what if I got the sport package car"? haha. Just kidding man, seems like your confident in your decision.

I didnt have any need for the Sport either, the paddle shifters are cool, but I didnt like the seats and other changes enough to wait on a sport. I did want the sport wheels, but I like what I got better! Enjoy it when it comes!!!

Old 05-03-2007 | 09:58 AM
I didn't want to pay for the tech package, but I wanted nav and premium and the dealer happened to have a nav/prem/tech G35S on the lot when I went in and looked.

Ended up getting a good deal on the car so took the tech package.

Here's my thoughts:
ICC: very neat, but I don't do alot of open road highway driving so haven't used it much. A couple of times playing with it on city highways I was a little worried that it wasn't going to kick in fast enough and I was going to ram the car in front of me.
Adaptive lights: the lights on this thing already have a really good angle of view. Having them turn really doesn't do much beyond the ooh. that's cool, factor.
Backup camera: this is nice. I came from mostly compact cars (is300, integra gs-r, wife's sentra) and the camera has helped me adapt to the size of the G much much more easily in terms of parking. It's also great i parallel parking to keep my 18" rims away from the curb

I don't know that I think it's worth the 1100 or 1200 bucks or whatever it is, but i ended up getting the car for less than my target price on a prem+nav only car so it was a bonus .

Old 05-03-2007 | 10:38 AM
I think if the backup camera was included with the NAV option, then most people would probably not have opted for the Tech package.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the Tech package worthwile?