G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Is the Tech package worthwile?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2007 | 07:32 AM
|
Is the Tech package worthwile?

One of my local dealers has the exact car I want (LP G35x), except for the technology package. I'm not too concerned about the Intelligent Cruise Control (although it sounds neat), because I don't do much highway driving. I was more concerned with the backup camera--i.e., if it helps when parking the car, and the Adaptive Front Lighting--is there any real advantage to it.

I would love to hear from some owners who either have cars with tech, or tested one out, and decided to forego the option.

Noah

Old 05-02-2007 | 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by Kromax
One of my local dealers has the exact car I want (LP G35x), except for the technology package. I'm not too concerned about the Intelligent Cruise Control (although it sounds neat), because I don't do much highway driving. I was more concerned with the backup camera--i.e., if it helps when parking the car, and the Adaptive Front Lighting--is there any real advantage to it.

I would love to hear from some owners who either have cars with tech, or tested one out, and decided to forego the option.

Noah
I wanted it, got my car with it, and thought the price was not out of line. I rarely use cruise control, but when I do the ICC is a great feature. I really like the adaptive lighting - we owned a Peugeot about 20 years ago that had a primitive version, and I had forgotten how nice it is to be able to see where you're going into a turn. However, the rear camera is by far the coolest gadget in the car, and I use it to park all the time. It also never fails to impress your passengers

Old 05-02-2007 | 07:41 AM
Oh god I am SO GLAD I waited to get the tech package. I was in the same situation as you back in December, loaded Xs were hard to find and I *almost* took one without the Tech. I am so glad I waited. The backup camera is fantastic helps when parking and backing out of spots to see how close you can get to something behind you. ICC is great as well as the front lighting, very cool to be able to see better going around turns.

I would vote to wait.

Old 05-02-2007 | 07:53 AM
|
From the tone of your posts (and the fact that you posted so quickly), I'm seeing a lot of enthusiasm. I agree that the price is not out of line with the features. I will wait. Promise. Did either of you have to settle on a different color to get the car you wanted? I really like the LP, and I'm wrestling with my decision to hold true to that choice.

Old 05-02-2007 | 07:55 AM
Bad Toro
Staff Alumni
Obviously you'll get some biased opinions with regards to this package. People who have it will tell you it's the best thing you can get, while others who decided to forgo it, will tell you it's a waste of money. My suggestion to you is to go check out an 07' with this package and see if you like the features and are willing to pay for them.

Good luck.

Old 05-02-2007 | 08:00 AM
Back in SD**
Premier Member
I wish I had adaptive cruise control. Here in SoCal, it seams that no on knows how to keep a steady speed. Everytime I use cruise control, I have to constantly press the up/down arrows to speed up and slow down. Almost makes me not want to use it. I have to use it, though. It keeps me out of jail.

Old 05-02-2007 | 08:14 AM
I have the tech package and love it. At the price point, I don't know why anyone would skip it if they are already looking for a loaded car (prem & nav). The worst thing you could do when buying a car is "settle" for something other then exactly what you want, $40K is a big decision, I'd wait for one with the package or order one.

Old 05-02-2007 | 08:15 AM
I was indifferent on it, it just happened to be on the car the dealership could get me. I was like, OK, cool a backup camera, whatever. Since I have it though, I love it. I was pretty skeptical and unwilling to trust the camera for a while, now, I use it all the time. I dont really use the ICC as I don't do a significant amount of highway driving and rarely use cruise even when I do. The Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS) is def one of my favorite features on the car, I absolutely love it. I drive on some nice tree lined windy backroads almost daily and at night, being able to see ahead of you while going into the turns helps alot. I can also see that there is not a dear in my immediate path, so no need to break...which is great because letting off of the gas kills that beautiful sound this car makes when your reallly driving it!

Old 05-02-2007 | 08:21 AM
Traveling Administrator
I opted not to get the Tech Package. I didn't care whatsoever if I had the ICC feature and I can back up my car just fine without a camera. I did however really want the AFS, but couldn't justify the cost of the tech package for only one feature.

Old 05-02-2007 | 08:27 AM
the tech package makes me moist

haha

I like it..if you have the extra cash i would recommend go for it

Old 05-02-2007 | 08:31 AM
I couldn't care less about the tech package. I've been driving for almost 10 years now. I don't need a camera to assist me in backing up. ICC is pretty useless as well, especially in LA. And unless you live in the canyons, adaptive lighting is pointless as well. I say, get the car now.

Old 05-02-2007 | 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by asuh
I couldn't care less about the tech package. I've been driving for almost 10 years now. I don't need a camera to assist me in backing up. ICC is pretty useless as well, especially in LA. And unless you live in the canyons, adaptive lighting is pointless as well. I say, get the car now.

i think the tech package after having it for 4 months is more of a luxury thing. You dont need ICC you dont need a back up cam and you dont need your headlights to move when you turn, after all there have been countless amount of years of driving on this planet with out these features and everyone has got around fine....but when you have people in your car and they are like i guess the feeling you get having those things makes up for xxx amount of dollers spent on it

I personally love the backup cam because i have a million little kids and dogs running around my neighborhood and i always have to check it when backing out of my drive way, also the grid lines that move with steering wheel is probably the most impressive. The ICC is pretty cool for road trips etc. The adaptive front headlights are pretty neat even tho i didnt really need them..but its cool to see your headlights turn.

i guess its one of those "to each his own" type thing

It is nice however to have this mid entry sedan have all these quirks, that are usually only found on higher end cars

Old 05-02-2007 | 09:12 AM
Traveling Administrator
I forgot to mention in my other post that I think the Tech Package is a steal of a deal for the price. If you think you'll use the 3 features in the Tech Package, it is definitely worth the money.

Old 05-02-2007 | 09:15 AM
I have tech, and love the backup camera. It took me a couple of weeks to learn to trust it, but now I back up without turning around

Just this weekend, my wife said to me, "do we always have to back into parking spots now?" to which I responded, "yes."

Old 05-02-2007 | 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
I forgot to mention in my other post that I think the Tech Package is a steal of a deal for the price. If you think you'll use the 3 features in the Tech Package, it is definitely worth the money.
+1, I was scrolling down to post just this. I have said this many times over, but if you think youll enjoy it or benifit from it, whats $1100 over the payment period of your new car???? I think its a steal as well!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the Tech package worthwile?