G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Thoughts on 6MT clutch (after test drive)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it aint so bad... if u think 07' g35 is bad... try driving is250!!

Old 07-27-2007, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Clutch "adjustment"

Originally Posted by G-Whizzer
Seems like he height of engagement could be adjusted, no? Maybe not the on/off feeling once it engages, but the point at which this happens??
The stock G35 clutch has a lot of travel before the engagement point, and a fair amount of travel after the take-up point. So, I raised the bottom stop on the clutch pedal about 1.5" by contact-cementing a 5/8" long piece of rubber stopper to the "U" shaped stationary metal bracket that provides the stop for the clutch. The other 1/2" I cut off the the stopper was cemented to the bracket that activates the switch that detects when the clutch is slightly depressed (to deactivate the cruise control). Of course I made absolutely certain that the clutch still fully disengaged (and then some) when down--this is essential to prevent wear on the gears. The stopper cost $.65 and the whole job took about 15 minutes.

I found this changed the whole feel of the clutch by eliminating the excessively long travel to the friction point. As an added benefit, because the clutch does not have to go down as far, I can adjust the seat about 1" further back, which better supports my right leg and stopped it going numb after an hour. And unlike an adjustment to the linkage itself, this fix can be "undone" almost instantly.

If anybody is interested, I can post pics and directions when I get some time (probably a couple of weeks, I'm going on vacation).

BTW, I also came out of an '04 TSX 6MT and agree that it is/was more "natural" to drive smoothly than my 07 G35 6MT. I'm not sure anybody does clutches and shifters better than Honda.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:39 PM
When I first looked at the G, I test drove a 6MT. I have read about the clutch issues but it didn't cause me a single problem. While I agree it isn't ideal, it seemed to work fine for me.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by st1sj
a MT is faster than an AT, b/c AT shifts slower. with the sequential transmission, they are faster than MT b/c sequential transmission shifts faster than MT.

however, reports show that most drivers who have the option to get either sequential transmission or MT, they prefer MT b/c the MT gives you more control.

the infiniti tiptronic is not sequential transmission, so the inifiniti AT does not shift faster than the MT.
How quickly you shift is dependent on the driver, which is a huge variable.

Variables aside, an MT is faster because there is less power lost through the drivetrain via the torque converter.
Other reasons: gearing, weight.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by bkrider
BTW, I also came out of an '04 TSX 6MT and agree that it is/was more "natural" to drive smoothly than my 07 G35 6MT. I'm not sure anybody does clutches and shifters better than Honda.
Funny, I'm currently driving an '06 TSX MT and it's nearly impossible to drive smoothly because of the DBW lag.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stock G35 clutch has a lot of travel before the engagement point, and a fair amount of travel after the take-up point. So, I raised the bottom stop on the clutch pedal about 1.5" by contact-cementing a 5/8" long piece of rubber stopper to the "U" shaped stationary metal bracket that provides the stop for the clutch. The other 1/2" I cut off the the stopper was cemented to the bracket that activates the switch that detects when the clutch is slightly depressed (to deactivate the cruise control). Of course I made absolutely certain that the clutch still fully disengaged (and then some) when down--this is essential to prevent wear on the gears. The stopper cost $.65 and the whole job took about 15 minutes.

I found this changed the whole feel of the clutch by eliminating the excessively long travel to the friction point. As an added benefit, because the clutch does not have to go down as far, I can adjust the seat about 1" further back, which better supports my right leg and stopped it going numb after an hour. And unlike an adjustment to the linkage itself, this fix can be "undone" almost instantly.

If anybody is interested, I can post pics and directions when I get some time (probably a couple of weeks, I'm going on vacation).

This sounds like a great fix. Please post pictures.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:30 AM
This is my first post here! Bought a 6MT G35 Coupe 2 weeks back (Diamond Graphite, Premium Pkg) and am enjoying it.

Having said that, I'm still getting used to the clutch. Like most others on this thread, I too have always driven a stick-shift (last 10 years). And this one is certainly more challenging!

My finding - I noticed that I do not actually need to depress the pedal all the way to shift (someone else mentioned this as well) ... does anyone else do this on a daily basis? Does this "hurt" the clutch?

-- kevster

Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 AM
If anything, it should be better for the clutch do to the shortened engagement time.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:46 AM
NYT
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I also came out of an '04 TSX 6MT and agree that it is/was more "natural" to drive smoothly than my 07 G35 6MT. I'm not sure anybody does clutches and shifters better than Honda.
I currently have both of these exact cars and couldn't agree more. Mind you, as a previous poster already said, going back to the Acura now and it feels like spaghetti.

I've only had the G a couple of weeks this clutch is tough to get used to. I'm taking it to the track this weekend... gonna learn how to drive this thing smooth or die trying.

I test drive many-a-G before I bought and still love my car, but I'm still unpleasantly surprised at all the unrefined characteristics of this car.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, I'm getting used to quickly letting off the clutch to a point just before engagement point, then slowly engaging. This smoothened up the take up ALL the time. But, I do have to remember to do this each time, it's not a 'lazy' man's clutch. You have to make it a habit. My STi was a no brainer on the other hand, even with lots more hp, didn't have to 'think' about the clutch. Depressing the clutch all the way in is still best to not wear out the plates prematurely.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:59 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
i also agree it's soo jerky to drive,

and also the shifter is very notchy if u shift under 3.5k rpm .

in order for me to shift smoothly i need to shift at 4~5k

Old 09-20-2011, 02:59 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
WOW, thread's awakened from a four year slumber.

Guys, have you seen the DIY for clutch mods #1 and #2 ? They can make a world of difference for you.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:51 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ whs, i have no issues with shifting took me a week to get used to it and did the clutch mod#2 only and i engage butter smooth everytime!

Old 09-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
^^ Agreed 100%, the clutch pedal mods are a must. DIY 2, removing the spring is quickest and easiest (10 minutes tops). You will immediately feel the true clutch engagement point.
I wont ramble...just read the comments in the 2 DIY's.
https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...-travel-2.html
https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...t-feeling.html

The following users liked this post:
rmyc (09-20-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 06:53 PM
NYT
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
^^ Agreed 100%, the clutch pedal mods are a must. DIY 2, removing the spring is quickest and easiest (10 minutes tops). You will immediately feel the true clutch engagement point.
I wont ramble...just read the comments in the 2 DIY's.
https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...-travel-2.html
https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...t-feeling.html
Thanks "vqsmile" and "rpm&my_G35" for the direct links. I read every post in those threads (and a related one) and 99% of people loved it. After 8 years I'm not sure why those threads aren't 40 page long because a ton of people have issues with the G's drive-ability.

I just finished my DIY drivers seat lowering mod, I guess these clutch fix/adjustments are next. I love my car (just got it) but so unimpressed with Infiniti (compared with my last 3 Acuras). I mean by the '07 model year you should have been able to do a lot better than this. Just waiting for my rattles to start kicking in...