G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Thoughts on 6MT clutch (after test drive)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 01:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on 6MT clutch (after test drive)

Having seen this discussed to death here and elsewhere, and liking the car after test-driving an AT Sport, I decided to try the MT.

I start the car (new, plastic still on seats and interior) and let the (stiff but not unbearable) clutch pedal up to what feels like a natural engagement point, and... no forward movement at all. I check the dash and console to see if the e-brake is on or anything is amiss. Nope. So I keep letting it up, and up, and after what feels like 3 inches or so further of travel, the car lurches forward. I managed not to stall it and was able to get off the lot and around a couple blocks with a very tentative driving style, but it was neither easy nor particularly fun. I'm sure it can be gotten used to, but it begs the question of why it was designed this way in the first place. The engagement point for the clutch feels unnaturally and uncomfortably high; combined with a clutch pedal that feels like a light switch (on/off with no in-between), it's difficult to drive the car smoothly, at least for me.

For the record, my current car is an '04 TSX 6MT purchased new, 73K mi, still on original clutch with no problems. Not to belittle the G, but to me the clutch and shifter on the TSX feel much more natural and "right" in this regard in a way the G's don't. I've also driven friends' '95 BMW 540, '99 328, and '05 WRX STI in the past and don't recall having this problem with them.

Is there something I'm not getting? Because I really want this to be my next car. Everything else about it is just right, and the motor in particular is fantastic. I normally don't mind driving a stick in city traffic, but this one felt like work. No disrespect intended with all this, just curious.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:17 AM
my thoughts

I agree. I've test driven tons of manual cars in the last few years (wrx, wrx sti, mazda3, mazdaspeed3, mini, mini s, passat, civic si, audi s4, rsx-s, mr2, ...), and the G35 6MT was by far the most difficult to drive smoothly. I did two test drives with the 6MT and while I was able to do it smoothly at the end of the second drive, I concluded that it required way too much effort and concentration. It was mainly the takeoff in 1st that was hard to do smoothly. You're right about the awkward engagement point. You also have to give it a lot of gas at just the right time.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, thats a huge flaw with this vehicle, but after a while you will get use to it.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:40 AM
Another question I have is, why haven't print/online reviews of the G made more mention of these characteristics? Edmunds is the only source I've seen that's noted the stiff, on-off pedal issue and the challenge of driving the MT G sedan smoothly. I've not read anything about the too-high engagement point.

Before I bought my TSX, I hadn't owned a MT car in over a decade. Within 5 mins. behind the wheel on a test drive, I felt back at home and ready to sign the papers. A stock MT car shouldn't be that hard to drive. I had an easier time with a S197 Mustang GT than with the G sedan.

Perhaps, though, instead of complaining about the imperfect clutch, I should be grateful there's a MT version at all. The salesman who helped me said they sell next to none of them. Lots gets written about the MT versions of the G, 3 series, and others, but in reality, over 99 percent sold are AT. The sad truth is, hardly anyone drives stick anymore, or even knows how to.

I haven't crossed the G off my list definitively. But if anyone from Infiniti is reading this, please: lower the engagement point 2-3 inches and make the pedal springs a little more progressive. Minor tweaks to a few thousand cars a year - not too much to ask, is it?

Old 05-29-2007, 03:48 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by stryker2
Is there something I'm not getting? Because I really want this to be my next car. Everything else about it is just right, and the motor in particular is fantastic. I normally don't mind driving a stick in city traffic, but this one felt like work. No disrespect intended with all this, just curious.
Yes. Practice and experience.

Every single car I've driven has a completely different clutch feel, and takes me a few minutes, if not hours, to get comfortable with.

I do not think its "correct" to make a statement on first impressions without having proper practice on the clutch feel itself.

Also, the issue regarding MT vs AT is one of the lamest I've seen on this site. People tend to bring performance into the subject, which makes me wonder why that's even an issue.

The "AT vs MT" is all personal preference; peformance should not be a factor in the decision, atleast not in this case, since the difference in performance is minimal. It's not like its going to shave half a second of the 1/4 mile.

It usually goes like this:

MT for the joy-looker. AT for practicallity.

Obviously other factors can change this. For example, people who prefer an MT might be forced to get an AT due to "traffic" or their job.

Thanks for the review/feedback though! ; I hope you don't think im bashing you . Im directing mostly to the particular threads, not any member.

I just don't like the AT vs MT threads because most of the talk is bs.

As for me, I stand the way I always have. I see driving as a hobby, not a necessity. That's my reason for loving my 6MT.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:22 AM
skaterbasist, I appreciate where you're coming from, and didn't interpret it as bashing at all. You're absolutely right, every car has a learning curve of some kind. All the observations I've made are entirely subjective. The G just... surprised me. All the MT cars I've driven in the past had quirks and foibles, but they were within parameters that felt natural, and took minimal adjustment to overcome and feel comfortable at the wheel.

I also didn't intend to bash AT drivers. The G's AT is no slouch, the rev-matched downshifts had me oohing and aahing. And from a pure performance standpoint, for 99.99% of drivers (myself included), the AT is superior, i.e. faster. I understand and sympathize with those who find the extra effort and concentration required of driving MTs a drag. For my part, I love the feeling of control, and the feedback through the shifter and pedals. I usually drive with the radio off, listening to the engine and trans. at work, so I know what's going on underfoot/hood.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:50 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
I agree though, the pedal travel is just too excessive. The clutch engages too high.

I have driven my 06 G35c 6MT for about 1 year, and even though I have completely gotten use to it and mastered the clutch, it still gets on my nerves sometimes. It took me a couple of hours to get use to the clutch, but I still wished I had a lower engagement point. I guess an aftermarket clutch will work fine with me since I track my car almost weekly and will be getting one anyway.

Also, although the majority of MT drivers cannot outshift the AT, I would not over-exagerate it to 99%. I can certainly outshift the AT G35, because I have driven both the Auto (and my MT obviosly) and I see how I have the potential to shift quicker than it. BUT mis-shifts plague me at the track; thats something I need to master before I can outperform the shifting abilities of an AT

(Notice how I said outshift, not outpeform. Because outshifting does not necessarily mean outperform, since most AT G35's I go against at the track are much more modded than I am and walk away from me )

Old 05-29-2007, 05:41 AM
i don't know about you guys but driving around normally is fine for me with the exception of the 2nd gear shift noise.

it might be because you guys are so used to the ease of your current car that you did not see the G's clutch coming like that.
the G was my first 6mt car so i guess i didn't have any expectations.

after learning how to drive 6mt on the G properly, i stepped into my friends rsx type s and felt that the petal was too soft.

i see no harm in the way the clutch was designed with the except of the owners having a really buff left leg and right arm.

all in all the G and Z is not as forgiving as other cars, you have to be more precise.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:55 AM
I owned a 2001 Sentra SE with a 5-speed, and never had any issues with engagement, etc. I then bought my 04 G35 and also didn't think anything of it. It was different but I never had any problems. For the 2 months that I initially owned the G35, my Sentra just sat. When I got in it after those 2 months, the Sentra felt like a toy. The clutch was so light, I almost put my foot through the floorboard. The shifter felt like a bowl of spaghetti. I couldn't believe the difference. The Sentra was a piece of cake to drive BUT it also made me realize how much I liked the 6mt in the G. It is much sportier, with nice direct gear changes (no wobbly shifter).

Old 05-29-2007, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by stryker2
If in doubt, take another test drive to see if you can get used to the MT. Another consideration is the G35 w/ paddle shifters. Folks who have the paddle shifters really like them. Another option (if you are open to driving an AT), is to test an AT and drive it in "DS" (drive sport) mode. Go to the dealership when they're not busy so you can take your time and really give the cars a good workout.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:48 AM
As was said earlier, everyone has their own preferences when it come to clutch engagement height, generally dictated by prior experiences. I've driven everything from an '83 Accord to an '04 Corvette, and I prefer the G's clutch system best.

I have found with the G, unlike most other MT cars I have driven, that you need to get the RPMs up to about 4k before shifting to allow for a smoother engagement to the next gear. My wife always claims that I am racing the car, when I'm just trying to make a smoother shift for her (she gets car sick very easily plus loves to drive from the back seat....) Plus the pur of the engine/exhaust is so nice at 4k

Regarding the travel for the clutch, I have found that not needing to press the clutch all the way to the floor allows for much quicker shifts. I've mastered power shifting without lifting the gas pedal due to the relatively short clutch depression needed.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:08 AM
My previous car had a very high engagement point (Volvo S60R) and was difficult to drive smoothly initially. Later as I owned the car longer I appreciated the high engagement point as it allowed much quicker shifts.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:22 AM
A doctor buddy of mine has a 2002 Ferrari 360 Modena which I have driven many times. The clutch in the Ferrari is very similar in feel to the G. I'm not saying that is good or bad, just that it has a on/off feel and it takes a while to get used to.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by f r e z N Y
As was said earlier, everyone has their own preferences when it come to clutch engagement height, generally dictated by prior experiences. I've driven everything from an '83 Accord to an '04 Corvette, and I prefer the G's clutch system best.

I have found with the G, unlike most other MT cars I have driven, that you need to get the RPMs up to about 4k before shifting to allow for a smoother engagement to the next gear. My wife always claims that I am racing the car, when I'm just trying to make a smoother shift for her (she gets car sick very easily plus loves to drive from the back seat....) Plus the pur of the engine/exhaust is so nice at 4k

Regarding the travel for the clutch, I have found that not needing to press the clutch all the way to the floor allows for much quicker shifts. I've mastered power shifting without lifting the gas pedal due to the relatively short clutch depression needed.

You actually dont have to go up to 4k for a smooth shift at all. 4k works well to as i know exactly what your talking about. But if you drive the car easily and treat it like a real automatic driven easily, meaning shifting at about 2500-3k its very easy to shift smooth as well.

I personally love the clutch in this car, but i do know what people mean with the ligh switch effect.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Seems like he height of engagement could be adjusted, no? Maybe not the on/off feeling once it engages, but the point at which this happens??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on 6MT clutch (after test drive)