G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

shift selector sticking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 10:16 PM
JMK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shift selector sticking

I have noticed over the last week or so that my gear shift selector will stick in park when i try to shift to reverse. My foot is clearly on the brake and i am pulling the safety trigger. I usually get it on the third tug. Anyone else experience this? I have an X.

Thanks

Old 05-31-2007, 10:26 PM
Forgive how basic a suggestion this is, but are you sure you're pulling in the trigger toward the bottom (it's hinged on the top)?

Old 06-01-2007, 06:56 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Try pushing it a little harder.

I like how it feels so when I push it, I push it in all the way.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:42 AM
ive noticed that in this car, the order in which you do things is critical. if i press the brake pedal and the shift lever button simultaneously, or in really closed tandem, the shift lock does not disengage. you have to "push brake , wait, press button" to get out of park reliably.

i find this annoying myself... it's too sensitive.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:03 PM
I have this same problem. Sometime is happens and sometimes it doesn't. I have yet to find a pattern in the behavior. I mentioned this to the service guys at my last oil change, but they could find no problem.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Altersys
ive noticed that in this car, the order in which you do things is critical. if i press the brake pedal and the shift lever button simultaneously, or in really closed tandem, the shift lock does not disengage. you have to "push brake , wait, press button" to get out of park reliably.

i find this annoying myself... it's too sensitive.
Ditto on the order. Hands off shifter...Press brake...Hand on shifter...Press release button...Pull on shifter.

The shift-lock mechanism is a small plastic piece that must move out of the way of the shift lever. With any pressure on the lever, it will not fall out.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:50 PM
you know, i've been thinking about this lately...

with respect to this curiosity, and the way the nav and musicbox functions are severely disabled when the car is moving, etc. Infiniti is oddly very conservative with respect to "trusting" the driver and yet the company markets itself as the sportiest of the three japanese luxury makers. i find it odd that the most sedate of the three (arguably, acura) is the least intrusive with respect to control lockouts and safety system sensitivities.

thoughts?

Old 06-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Altersys
you know, i've been thinking about this lately...

with respect to this curiosity, and the way the nav and musicbox functions are severely disabled when the car is moving, etc. Infiniti is oddly very conservative with respect to "trusting" the driver and yet the company markets itself as the sportiest of the three japanese luxury makers. i find it odd that the most sedate of the three (arguably, acura) is the least intrusive with respect to control lockouts and safety system sensitivities.

thoughts?
It may also be a legal issue. Sure, Infiniti could "trust" drivers, but imagine if someone plows into another car because he's trying to adjust his navigation. There's a good chance the guy who got hit might bitch about "why didn't Infiniti make it such that you can only adjust your nav while stopped." Simply put, "trust" just simply isn't good enough most times.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Back in SD**

Received 63 Likes on 8 Posts
It's not just Infiniti that has the shift mechanism set up this way, my Jeep did the same thing (only other auto that I've owned).

Old 06-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by bruddahmanmatt
It may also be a legal issue. Sure, Infiniti could "trust" drivers, but imagine if someone plows into another car because he's trying to adjust his navigation. There's a good chance the guy who got hit might bitch about "why didn't Infiniti make it such that you can only adjust your nav while stopped." Simply put, "trust" just simply isn't good enough most times.
my point was that other manufacturers out there do NOT take this hard of a line on the "legal issue". and my comment was that it's odd that a performance oriented brand is less driver-friendly in this regard than its more traditionally conservative competitors.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Hey why not write a letter to Audi about this? Oh wait they already know about it from the lawsuits related to "Unintended Accelleration".

Its not the car companies, is the douche b** Americans who sue everyone because they need to be told even that coffee is hot if you buy it at McDonalds.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KJC5050
Forgive how basic a suggestion this is, but are you sure you're pulling in the trigger toward the bottom (it's hinged on the top)?
No - not too basic. I've tried that and it seems to work bettter.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:28 PM
JMK
I think i may have been on the selector too quickly. I will try to pay closer attention. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by NewGMan
Hey why not write a letter to Audi about this? Oh wait they already know about it from the lawsuits related to "Unintended Accelleration".

Its not the car companies, is the douche b** Americans who sue everyone because they need to be told even that coffee is hot if you buy it at McDonalds.
I plan to be filing a lawsuit later today for being called a douche b**!

It seems that personal responsibility is dead in America and I don't think there is any way to bring it back to life.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by gdbjr
I plan to be filing a lawsuit later today for being called a douche b**!

It seems that personal responsibility is dead in America and I don't think there is any way to bring it back to life.
Could not agree more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: shift selector sticking