G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Is this normal, hesitation (not related to gas pedal lack of responsiveness)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lowraxe
The fuel grade topic is addressed on a number of other threads, and based on all the information I now have, I will only use premium from now on. However, it raises a question that is relevant to this thread. Is anyone out there who uses only premium fuel, but still experiences this hesitation problem? Just curious to see what a difference it makes. (I work from home, so it'll be a little while before I get to refill the tank to experience it for myself)
I only use premium and based on the way this problem is very specific rpm range and has more to do with jabbing the throttle, I can say it's definitely not related to any concerns with gasoline.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:55 PM
i remember reading about this on a thread way back. Supposedly, its the flow of current that is causing the lag. Get a grounding kit and you'll be good to go. Gordgee's kit is nice.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by johnsonhuang
i remember reading about this on a thread way back. Supposedly, its the flow of current that is causing the lag. Get a grounding kit and you'll be good to go. Gordgee's kit is nice.
I'm going to disagree with that, but I'm skeptical about grounding kits in general, but let's leave that aside for now; PLEASE do not make this a grounding kit argument thread.

Let's just say that what you say is right (and again, I want to clearly state that I don't think that's the case, but for fun's sake let's just pretend). Then it is clearly a flaw of the vehicle and it's stock grounding system. Why should I have to pay for a kit to fix a fundamental problem with the vehicle? If the official stance is that it's related to the throttle position computer and the car just can't react that fast, then I'll say the person who was in charge of that should be fired, but it's a reasonable explanation. However, if it's related to a lack of current/grounding, then it's a completely flawed and failed design and should be easily fixed since there's no reasonable explanation for why it's broken.

Switching hats, based on when this happens, I can't imagine it's grounding. It never happens off the line or at very low revs, only at medium-low revs, and only when the gas pedal is jabbed really quickly. If it was a lack of current, my belief is it would happen off the line and at other lower RPMs/scenarios. In addition, the problem would be more of a slower acceleration not a complete stand-still with a wicked off/on switch. This is why I also disagree with the turbo lag comparison. With turbo lag you get some acceleration and then a sudden swell of power. This is like the engine is off completely and then all of a sudden it's full throttle.

Based on my novice knowledge of how things work (although I will say my knowledge is greater than most on this forum, but certainly doesn't entitle me to call myself an expert or even very knowledgeable), I really feel it has to do with drive-by-wire not processing the commands to the TB or something along those lines which leads me to believe it's a computer related problem. It's not related to the computer not getting enough current due to poor grounding, but more to the other points on this thread about the computer not reacting fast enough to a sudden change in granny and andretti driving styles.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
other than what i wrote above, i also think that the so called "lag" may be due to the amount of power. e.g., jump in another car with less power, stab the throttle at low rpm, and most likely, the car will "jump" as well. with the 07 sedan 6MT, the power rushes in at low rpm, almost like a high strung honda vtec.

of course it's better to have no noticeable lag. but i would rather have this "lag" than no power that pushes my head back and suck the blood out of my eyeballs.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:56 PM
i'm with brianv on this one. it's not a grounding issue. grounding problems cause weird, unpredictable results, not one very specific type of problem. and the nature of the problem just doesn't jive with grounding issues in general.

it's not a power issue.

i've driven cars with twice the power that don't have the weird response this one does.

it's the throttle programming, period. and it WOULD be an easy fix if infiniti wanted to do it. but we have to make them want to do it.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Altersys
i'm with brianv on this one. it's not a grounding issue. grounding problems cause weird, unpredictable results, not one very specific type of problem. and the nature of the problem just doesn't jive with grounding issues in general.

it's not a power issue.

i've driven cars with twice the power that don't have the weird response this one does.

it's the throttle programming, period. and it WOULD be an easy fix if infiniti wanted to do it. but we have to make them want to do it.
Yeah it's DEFINITELY not a power related problem like the poster above you said. It's clearly a NO POWER DELIVERED for a brief moment.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:31 PM
it's no throttle body motion... not even a "power" issue. it's just programming. simple stuff.

my opinion? totally not verified or confirmed by anyone, keep in mind:

infiniti did it to make their new cars feel like the new BMWs with valvetronic. that's their induction system that doesn't use throttle bodies at all- it varies valve lift to control the induction. it works great at speed and seems cool on paper, but it's a biotch in stop and go traffic and is not easy to modulate from off-throttle to 10% throttle. it has a big step from no response to sudden lurch, just like our cars.

and we know infiniti is targeting the 3 series with the G.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Altersys
it's no throttle body motion... not even a "power" issue. it's just programming. simple stuff.

my opinion? totally not verified or confirmed by anyone, keep in mind:

infiniti did it to make their new cars feel like the new BMWs with valvetronic. that's their induction system that doesn't use throttle bodies at all- it varies valve lift to control the induction. it works great at speed and seems cool on paper, but it's a biotch in stop and go traffic and is not easy to modulate from off-throttle to 10% throttle. it has a big step from no response to sudden lurch, just like our cars.

and we know infiniti is targeting the 3 series with the G.
I never said it was the TB motion, I said it's a delay in opening of the TB (computer related). You don't have a 6SPD as I can see from your sig, and this appears to be related to 6spds only (per this thread). I can tell by your suggestions that you're not understanding what we say, and I understand that because the words/terms being used to explain it. I wouldn't understand it if I hadn't felt it personally myself.

It's definitely not there to try and simulate anything like a turbo, valve adjustments, etc. It simply is like the engine is completely OFF for 1/2 a second. It provides no good sensation because flooring it normally will cause the car to jerk, instead you floor it, nothing happens, half a second later you jerk. In no way is it a positive or 'cool' experience. Like I previously said, it's not like turbo lag where you start moving slowly and then get a rush of acceleration (which I would define as cool per my 300ZXTT ownership period). This is plain retarded, the car puts ZERO power down for 1/2 a second and then resumes normally.

That's why the consensus here is that the gas pedal or drive-by-wire system is not interpreting quick enough in this particular scenario (only going from granny driving to punching it). Doesn't do it off the line or if you're already driving spiritedly.

This wasn't meant to be offensive, I understand and appreciate your feedback, but can tell by your responses that we're just not communicating the problem correctly. Like I said, I wouldn't know better either. I've never seen anything like this in a car, even bad drive-by-wire systems.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:44 PM
I hasve an automatic 07 journey. same problem. It lurches after a initial lack of acceleration sometimes.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:55 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
No hesitation problem at all with the Automatic in my X. I have always been impressed with it's immeadiate response when mashing the throttle.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:27 AM
Just to go on record-I have never put anything less than 93 octane in the car and I still experience the lag. As I told the service guy, it is difficult for me to rap my mind around telling me that they can't fix a problem that does not generate a code. I guess these days the cars are so tech that other adjustments just are not "normal". Like someone mentioned above, I hope the wise engineers come up with some chip fix for this. It would be nice to get up and go when one needs to.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:48 AM
hmm... after reading all these post ... there is no cut clear answer...
If it is the driving pattern that the car has adaped to, then just ecu reset.
i have tried it out and seem's to be working intill my car had adpaed to the way of my driving..
it's a hasle but i guess it work's ....
i could be incorrect so can some one ealse try it out?

Old 07-31-2007, 04:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im taking a stab in the dark here but couldnt it be that the "lag" is actually the time it takes for the car to automatically downshift to the gear thats gonna get you to go faster depending on how far the gas pedal is down??

Old 09-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
This was occurring with my car too fellas... Here is my thread ...

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/176686-ok-guys-im-stumbled.html

The humming stated was from my tires, and after the driveshaft was replaced, and fuel system cleaner applied, and cleaned my MAF, reset my ECU, most of my power returned, but the car still doesnt feel 100%, id have to say 85-90%. It just simply doesnt feel as fast as day 1. Ill admit, I was using 89 for about 2 months, but then I realized there was barely any savings in fuel cost, so I just went back to 93. Like I said, the power has mostly returned, but I still dont feel the car is 100%. I took my car to the f*cking dealer, and they connected a Consult-II to my car, and the d*ckhead tech said everything looked perfect, and that my car drove like a bat out of hell. I know what my car felt like on Day 1, and its simply not the same. They really need to figure this sh*t out, because the hesitation is still there, very minimal, but still there. It helps to have VDC off, the hesitation is lessened, but I still feel it. I too believe, it is a definite computer/MAF/ issue. I think Im going to print this thread out, and bring it to a more reputable dealership, Infiniti of Coconut Creek, some of the idiots at Palm Beach Infiniti are downright ridiculous. Whats really weird, is the fact that if I take off WOT in 1st gear, chirp into 2nd, the car pulls pretty nicely all the way up, but if im at low rpm's in 2nd gear, and then slam on the throttle, the hesitation is ridiculous.

Last edited by chilibowl; 09-21-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by chilibowl
This was occurring with my car too fellas... Here is my thread ...

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176686

The humming stated was from my tires, and after the driveshaft was replaced, and fuel system cleaner applied, and cleaned my MAF, reset my ECU, most of my power returned, but the car still doesnt feel 100%, id have to say 85-90%. It just simply doesnt feel as fast as day 1. Ill admit, I was using 89 for about 2 months, but then I realized there was barely any savings in fuel cost, so I just went back to 93. Like I said, the power has mostly returned, but I still dont feel the car is 100%. I took my car to the f*cking dealer, and they connected a Consult-II to my car, and the d*ckhead tech said everything looked perfect, and that my car drove like a bat out of hell. I know what my car felt like on Day 1, and its simply not the same. They really need to figure this sh*t out, because the hesitation is still there, very minimal, but still there. It helps to have VDC off, the hesitation is lessened, but I still feel it. I too believe, it is a definite computer/MAF/ issue. I think Im going to print this thread out, and bring it to a more reputable dealership, Infiniti of Coconut Creek, some of the idiots at Palm Beach Infiniti are downright ridiculous. Whats really weird, is the fact that if I take off WOT in 1st gear, chirp into 2nd, the car pulls pretty nicely all the way up, but if im at low rpm's in 2nd gear, and then slam on the throttle, the hesitation is ridiculous.

you ran 89 octane for two months in a high compression motor, against the recommendation of the manufacturer, and you are cussing out the dealer?

i don't think printing out this thread is gonna help your reputation with said dealer.

good luck with your car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is this normal, hesitation (not related to gas pedal lack of responsiveness)