G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Is this normal, hesitation (not related to gas pedal lack of responsiveness)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this normal, hesitation (not related to gas pedal lack of responsiveness)

My car is still new but I punched it from 2k rpm to about 4k rpm today as I needed to quickly get through a yellow light.

I really punched the gas pedal fast and it took a split second to apply power (like a delayed drive by wire input). When the car started accelerating it jerked but maybe .5 seconds after I stabbed the pedal to the floor. It accelerated fine once it started but it seemed delayed.

I don't think it has to do with the pedal not sending feedback as I had the pedal to the ground completely before the car even started going.

I notice it happens on the FWY in fifth gear if I punch it real quick at lower rpms (like below three). I have a manual so it's not related to transmission lag, shifting, etc.

Not a huge deal but compared to my last G and Z it's noticeable slower at responding. The G and Z would just immediately start accelerating.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:38 PM
You're in a MT - maybe the gear was too high?
My AT in DS mode is instantaneous, since it holds the lower gear a bit longer.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by G-Whizzer
You're in a MT - maybe the gear was too high?
My AT in DS mode is instantaneous, since it holds the lower gear a bit longer.
Yeah that's not the problem.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BrianV
My car is still new but I punched it from 2k rpm to about 4k rpm today as I needed to quickly get through a yellow light.

I really punched the gas pedal fast and it took a split second to apply power (like a delayed drive by wire input). When the car started accelerating it jerked but maybe .5 seconds after I stabbed the pedal to the floor. It accelerated fine once it started but it seemed delayed.

I don't think it has to do with the pedal not sending feedback as I had the pedal to the ground completely before the car even started going.

I notice it happens on the FWY in fifth gear if I punch it real quick at lower rpms (like below three). I have a manual so it's not related to transmission lag, shifting, etc.

Not a huge deal but compared to my last G and Z it's noticeable slower at responding. The G and Z would just immediately start accelerating.
I've had this happen a few times.

Example: I'll be shifting from 1st to 2nd and I decide I want more power so after engaging 2nd and applying light throttle I get on it and there's a lag before the power hits. And like you said it can't be dead space at the top of the pedal since I'm already partially on the throttle, only the car is reluctant to get up and go. Very annoying. I know it's not the VDC kicking in because the few times it's happened either VDC was disengaged or it was engaged but the slip light didn't flash. Whack yo.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Yeah I don't tihnk it's an isolated problem with my car, just a design quirk.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:38 AM
I've noticed a similar lag in my AT a few times when the cars at low rpm in 2nd gear and I go quickly to 1/3 or 1/2 throttle- think slowing down for a red light that turns green so you hit the gas but not really punch it. If I really punch it it just takes off. It's like the car is waiting to see if I'm going to stamp on it and thinking about a downshift.

However; I'm having a hard time reliably recreating it so I haven't brought it to the dealers attention. Not sure what they could do with it.

Last edited by 95se; 06-30-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I've also experienced it.
It only happens when I'm slowing rolling forward and then need to pop quickly forward into traffic, etc.
The delay is not that long, but VERY noticable and much longer than I want when I'm in a situation that requires instant acceleration.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
I've also experienced it.
It only happens when I'm slowing rolling forward and then need to pop quickly forward into traffic, etc.
The delay is not that long, but VERY noticable and much longer than I want when I'm in a situation that requires instant acceleration.
Yeah, well at least it seems to be a common problem. Has anyone talked to their dealer about it?

Old 07-03-2007, 03:39 PM
I have noticed the same symptom when I step down on it in any gear above
1st. Haven't talked to the dealer - wonder if it might go away after a few thousand miles.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:23 PM
i've noticed it...it definitely gives you the feeling of hesistation and then lurching....its annoying when i'm alone and i have to be extra careful when my wife is in the car because she'll accuse me of driving like an idiot.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:37 PM
I wonder if this is just a 6MT issue or if the '07 automatics are also experiencing this.
My wife's '05 G35X does not do this at all.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by brian928
i've noticed it...it definitely gives you the feeling of hesistation and then lurching....its annoying when i'm alone and i have to be extra careful when my wife is in the car because she'll accuse me of driving like an idiot.
LOL, yeah I have the same fear.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:59 AM
My 6mt does the same thing. I think you have to allow for it because you could get yourself into trouble if you were pulling into traffic, etc.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:58 PM
i think i know what you mean...if i shift from first to second gear and my rpms are below 3 k when it second and i apply the gas about half way down the car gives this kick. The feeling is almost like an automatic when you floor it and you catch that kick because of the downshift. Honestly this dont bother me one bit and if my car 3k rpms or higher it doesnt even happen.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:21 AM
RCK
Just got my Sedan 6MT and noticed the same delay and slight rpm drop as I shift. But it happens only when I try to toe the accelerator instead of planting my whole foot on it. I'm told the accelerator on the G35 is hinged at the bottom, not at the top. So you need to accelerate with the middle of your foot with your heel as a pivot point.

It takes some getting used to, but I've also noticed that the accelerator pedal is nice and wide, so it's not uncomfortable.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is this normal, hesitation (not related to gas pedal lack of responsiveness)