G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

$14,000 in damage!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 06:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$14,000 in damage!

Saw this on the news while getting ready for work. Definitely not the kind of headline Inifiniti is looking for:

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr080207.html

Up to this point, the G35 was at the top of my list for my next car, but I have to admit, this news gives me pause.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:19 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Good find. I just heard the same in a local radio news this morning at work. Yeah not looking good for the '07 G35.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:23 AM
Bad Toro
I have to admit that I didn't read the whole thing but I don't see any mentioning about the 2007 year model. Unless I missed it, this study could pertain to the older generation.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:02 AM
What a stupid, whiny report. Who cares about repair costs in a collision? Honestly, that is about the worst metric to measure a cars worth. I want to know - how are the driver and passenger going to be in an accident, who gives a sh1te about the cost? You ever seen a real good Nascar/IRL accident, the cars disintegrate but the driver walks away. Conversely if you see a Nascar accident from the 60s, the car was unscathed but the passengers would be dead.

If you read the chart it looks like the front corners sustained the most damage/cost. Well I wonder why with the adaptive headlight unit and radar control sitting right up front. Things that cost more are going to cost more to fix otherwise the G35 would cost as much as a Toyota Yaris and the Yaris would be loaded with all the options as the G35.

Frankly, this is about the dumbest report I have ever read. If it said that all the occupants died in a ball of fire in a 6mph crash I would be worried. But it didnt.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:19 AM
+1

That's why I have auto insurance. It's only going to cost me my deductible regardless of repair cost. This study would have absolutely zero impact on my car buying decision.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:24 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SPEEED
I have to admit that I didn't read the whole thing but I don't see any mentioning about the 2007 year model. Unless I missed it, this study could pertain to the older generation.
I looked at their site, it's an '07 Journey.

Anyway, on the one hand it would be great if the G could stand up to these tests better. On the other hand, that would likely require more weight, and a radically different look and drag coefficient. I'll happily keep my G

Old 08-02-2007, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by 95se
+1

That's why I have auto insurance. It's only going to cost me my deductible regardless of repair cost. This study would have absolutely zero impact on my car buying decision.
Exactly. This has nothing to do with safety, their complaint is how much the materials cost to fix. Who cares? If I had a Maserati Quatroporte and dinged it up I would expect it to cost a lot to fix - but it wouldnt prevent me from driving it.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:30 AM
this is one thing you can blame on bush: the first thing he did when he came into power was lower the standards for bumpers... the insurance companies are not happy, because repair costs have sky-rocketed.

not many cars nowadays can drive away unscathed from a low-speed impact.

maybe we'll start seeing after-market police-style push bumpers on g's now...

Old 08-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow. Thats crazy. Good find!

Old 08-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Maybe if they used better paint/clear coat on the front of our cars it would hold up better?!?!

In all seriousness though... I would be pretty pissed if I hit something at 5mph and did $14,000 in damage. Thats pretty bad.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by hokiesean24
Maybe if they used better paint/clear coat on the front of our cars it would hold up better?!?!

In all seriousness though... I would be pretty pissed if I hit something at 5mph and did $14,000 in damage. Thats pretty bad.
Thats where the figure is misleading. Thats a total of front, front corner, rear and rear corner together.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Isn't that why we have insurance?

Do you expect to get in a lot of collisions? I mean, for me this information is interesting but really has zero impact on my choice in buying a car.

In the end, if I own any of those cars it's going to cost me $0-$500

Old 08-02-2007, 09:08 AM
Haha.. hilarious response... can't handle the facts? Too funny..

Originally Posted by dcmidnight
What a stupid, whiny report. Who cares about repair costs in a collision? Honestly, that is about the worst metric to measure a cars worth. I want to know - how are the driver and passenger going to be in an accident, who gives a sh1te about the cost? You ever seen a real good Nascar/IRL accident, the cars disintegrate but the driver walks away. Conversely if you see a Nascar accident from the 60s, the car was unscathed but the passengers would be dead.

If you read the chart it looks like the front corners sustained the most damage/cost. Well I wonder why with the adaptive headlight unit and radar control sitting right up front. Things that cost more are going to cost more to fix otherwise the G35 would cost as much as a Toyota Yaris and the Yaris would be loaded with all the options as the G35.

Frankly, this is about the dumbest report I have ever read. If it said that all the occupants died in a ball of fire in a 6mph crash I would be worried. But it didnt.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:09 AM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actually as owners, you should care. your insurance premiums will be higher. duh.

Last edited by absolutg; 08-02-2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by madchef
Isn't that why we have insurance?

Do you expect to get in a lot of collisions? I mean, for me this information is interesting but really has zero impact on my choice in buying a car.

In the end, if I own any of those cars it's going to cost me $0-$500
What? So because you have insurance is that an excuse for them to build cars that can't handle a simple light impact?
Cmon..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: $14,000 in damage!