G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Blue dot on wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue dot on wheels?

I've had my car for three weeks now, and after about 3 car washes, i noticed that the blue dot on my wheels haven't come off. I don't know if this is on everyone's car, but I definitely have it on my 07G with the 18's. It's a blue dot on each wheel, and on the tire about an inch away has a red dot. Does anyone know how to remove the dot?

Old 08-18-2007, 05:43 PM
not sure, but I have the same thing.

Hey, at least it makes it look new, mine are still on.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:59 PM
lol, my wheels are practically new, i only have 800 miles on the car, but i noticed the dot the first day i got the car, and never paid attention to it till today when i was showing my brother my car. I tried scratching it off with my finger nail, with no luck. I don't want to ruin the finish of the wheel, so i wanted to ask anyone that did remove the dot, how did they do it?

Old 08-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Old 08-18-2007, 09:37 PM
sorry, i click search and typed "blue dot" but nothing came up closely related in the first three pages...

Old 08-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by disgookonfiya
sorry, i click search and typed "blue dot" but nothing came up closely related in the first three pages...
No problem.

I find when I'm searching for something specific it's best to try the Advanced Search -> Search Titles Only option. Also, I think this forum is set to ignore words of 3 characters or less in Search.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got mine off by just dousing it with water and using my fingernail to scratch it off. it's pretty easy to do

Old 08-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
This was totally new to me also. I got to wondering what the blue dots were on each of the wheels, so I did some checking.

Turns out the top-tier manufacturers "road force balance" the tires/wheels & "match mount" each tire to each wheel at the factory. That means they check each tire for out-of-round and sidewall stiffness. Apparently every tire, no matter how good or expensive, is slightly out of round and has small variations in sidewall stiffness. And every wheel is, likewise, out-of-round by a small amount. What they try to do is match the hard spot/high spot in the tire with the low spot on the wheel. The low spot on the wheel is where the blue spot is. Then I noticed the blue spot on the wheel is directly opposite a red spot on the tire - obviously where the high/hard spot on the tire is. With this, the # & location of balance weights is minimized.

How cool is that?

Down side is, only a few tire shops have the equipment (such as a Hunter GSP 9700 ForceMatch balancer) to do road force balancing in the aftermarket. And it costs $65-$75 per tire just for the balancing.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by XR400R
This was totally new to me also. I got to wondering what the blue dots were on each of the wheels, so I did some checking.

Turns out the top-tier manufacturers "road force balance" the tires/wheels & "match mount" each tire to each wheel at the factory. That means they check each tire for out-of-round and sidewall stiffness. Apparently every tire, no matter how good or expensive, is slightly out of round and has small variations in sidewall stiffness. And every wheel is, likewise, out-of-round by a small amount. What they try to do is match the hard spot/high spot in the tire with the low spot on the wheel. The low spot on the wheel is where the blue spot is. Then I noticed the blue spot on the wheel is directly opposite a red spot on the tire - obviously where the high/hard spot on the tire is. With this, the # & location of balance weights is minimized.

How cool is that?

Down side is, only a few tire shops have the equipment (such as a Hunter GSP 9700 ForceMatch balancer) to do road force balancing in the aftermarket. And it costs $65-$75 per tire just for the balancing.

Then what's the yellow dot on the tire? I have yellow dots quarter of the diameter away from the red on three of the tires and one tire has yellow opposite the red dot.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Als35
Then what's the yellow dot on the tire? I have yellow dots quarter of the diameter away from the red on three of the tires and one tire has yellow opposite the red dot.
Good question. I'm no expert, but here's my understanding (for what it's worth).

There are two methods to do a high-precision tire/wheel match balance: Uniformity Match Balancing (using the red dots) and Weight Match Balancing (using the yellow dots). I described the Uniformity Balance method in my earlier post. With weight match balancing, usually the yellow dot represents the lightest point of the tire circumfrence. And the tire is mounted so that the yellow dot is aligned with the valve stem (presumably the heaviest point of the wheel). So balance is optimized based on weight rather than uniformity. You can do either uniformity match balancing, or weight match balancing; but not both. Infiniti apparently choose uniformity rough balancing, then deal with the weight imbalance using. . .well, weights!

Speaking of tires/wheels, were yours filled with nitrogen rather than air by the dealership as mine were? You think it's worth it?

Last edited by XR400R; 08-21-2007 at 03:21 PM.