G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Maintenace at dealer.. or who cares go anywhere?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think having someone who knows the vehicle do it has value.
They might spot something that Joe Schmoe might not (No offense to Joe Schmoe).
And I get coupons for service all the time from my dealer - no more than $25 - $30 - and they top off fluids, check belts, check tire pressure, etc.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:52 PM
anywhere you go to change your oil checks your belts, tires, etc.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:54 PM
and what can you spot when changing fluids? its a simple drain and fill. the car looks like the underside of most other cars. if there is something messed up down there im sure anyone with even a little car knowledge will let you know.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:02 PM
well my car is a lease so I dont care to take as good care as if I owned it.. (i love leasing!, new car every 2 years).

My question was more aimed at LEASERS...

Anyways.. I was just wondering what the price was at the dealer and if there is any reason in particular I should go to them...

I will probably just take it to the neighbor place to change the oil...

Old 08-19-2007, 11:14 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
I get all my maintenance work done at my local Nissan dealership. Oil changes are only $32.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:09 AM
Major repairs and warranty work is all i want from the dealership.For oil changes my local infiniti dealer uses Valvoline synthetic blend for oil changes and i don't want that in my car.If i'm paying might as well put in what i want.
I seen the shop guys wash other peoples cars with old dirty water and crappy rags.That's a no-no.DIY.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Bad Toro
1. My dealer offers complimentary oil changes for the lenght of my ownership
2. I don't follow the scheduled maintenance (it's a ripoff)
3. My dealer always took care of my problems under warranty without any issues.

ANSWER: I go only to my dealer.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
by all means....take your nice car to a jiffy lube.

JIFFY LUBE SCAM PART 2!!

Last edited by DRAGMODE; 08-20-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by DRAGMODE
by all means....take your nice car to a jiffy lube.

JIFFY LUBE SCAM PART 2!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI

Thanks. I was always uncomfortable about the idea taking my car there. I've gone there a couple of times in the past while traveling on long trips, since it was convenient to go there while I was out of town (these were in previous cars, not in my G35). I always thought that were pretty aggresive (sometimes obnoxious) in trying to sell more than what I asked for. Even if they did what is needed, I was always nervous about them using the right fluids. For example, some car manufacturers are very picky about what fluid goes in, particularly transmission fluid. Transmission fluid is something that should rarely ever need to be replaced, but that's something Jiffy Lube has tried to sell me in the past. I had a Volvo, and the original Volvo manual actually recommended the wrong transmission fluid. Volvo later released a TSB saying what the correct transmission fluid should be. Even with the best intentions, it's doubtful that the Jiffy Lube database may have been updated to reflect the updated TSB. I'm more confident that the authorized dealerships would have been informed of such a change.

Chain stores like Jiffy Lube are convenient, but I don't trust them. I prefer to use Infiniti (they charge, with tax, $38 for an oil and filter change, which also includes fluid and tire checks). For something simple like oil & filter change, I'd be happy to also go to a Nissan dealership (closer to home). But for maintenance work, I definitely want an Infiniti dealership. I'd prefer mechanics who work on Infiniti cars all day, who have the necessary equipment to diagnose issues properly, and who have the Infiniti training. Once in a blue moon, I learn of a local mechanic I would really trust and who is really good. But those are hard to find, and even if they were good, they may not have the training and equipment, and day-to-day experience with G35s that would be nice to have.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:23 AM
So true. There is a HUGE difference between the words "should" and "must". I write security policies, standards, and guidelines on a regular basis as part of my job...It's all about semantics.

While the G35 is indeed far from being a "supercar" as someone put it, I would prefer to either 1) take it to my dealership for their $39 service. This includes oil, filter, fluid checks/top off, tire check/top off (with nitrogen), loaner car, car wash, and massage with happy ending (ok, I threw that last one in to make sure you were still paying attention). OR 2) Do it myself. By the time I buy the oil, and filter, I'm almost to $40 already. I might as well have a qualified Infiniti service tech do it for me. Now, if they were to charge me $80 for the same thing, I would most certainly just do it myself. I've had enough bad experiences with Jiffy Lube and Valvoline Instant Oil Change to never go back again.

Originally Posted by nsv
I couldn't put it in better words -
If it will give you peace of mind, than by all means... But I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

The warranty does not say you need to keep records/receipts of all your oil changes to keep your warranty... It says that Nissan may inspect them, and may use them against you... However, that would be illegal... Here's why:

If you read the ACTUAL warranty jargon, it doesn't say anything about having to produce receipts and records.... It just says to follow the owners manual. The owners manual says to follow the Infiniti Service and Maintenance Guide.

1.) The Maintenance Guide, is called a Guide. That has specific legal meaning.

2.) Page seven of the maintenance guide said that you should follow one of the maintenance schedules. The word "should" has a specific legal meaning.

3.) Page eleven of the maintenace guide says, "The services listed represent the minimal factory recommended requirements for each time/mileage interval..." The word "recommended" has a specific legal meaning.

Now, I'm not arguing that you shouldn't be properly maintaining your car... I'm just saying that all this nonsense with saving receipts and records, is a scare tactic to get you to use the dealer for your service needs. They will not have a legal leg to stand on, if they try to deny you a warranty claim...

(I work in the International Standards industry, and I work with legions of attorneys that hassle me all the time about legal definitions of phrases I use in the specifications that I write. Especially when it involves conveying mandatory requirements.)

The warranty allows you to perform these maintence items yourself. The warranty does not make any requirements on what needs to be conveyed in any written documenation about your maintence that was performed. Simply noting that you actually did something, is more than sufficient, becuase they cannot claim it is insufficient, because the requirements were never spilled out. For example, the warranty does not say that your maintence records needs to be notarized in front of a witness, etc, etc. Keeping receipts of your oil purchases etc is pointless, because it just proves you bought oil, it doesn't prove you actually used it, etc.

Source - https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...=168812&page=2
Author - avs007

Last edited by Dweezil; 08-20-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Dweezil
So true. There is a HUGE difference between the words "should" and "must". I write security policies, standards, and guidelines on a regular basis as part of my job...It's all about semantics.

While the G35 is indeed far from being a "supercar" as someone put it, I would prefer to either 1) take it to my dealership for their $39 service. This includes oil, filter, fluid checks/top off, tire check/top off (with nitrogen), loaner car, car wash, and massage with happy ending (ok, I threw that last one in to make sure you were still paying attention). OR 2) Do it myself. By the time I buy the oil, and filter, I'm almost to $40 already. I might as well have a qualified Infiniti service tech do it for me. Now, if they were to charge me $80 for the same thing, I would most certainly just do it myself. I've had enough bad experiences with Jiffy Lube and Valvoline Instant Oil Change to never go back again.
Guys, what written in paper and what in real life are not the same!!!!

When there is an issue, the dealer just asks you to pay for it because they say you didn't follow maintenace as adviced. Some even refuse to fix it under warranty. It takes you many phone calls and visits or even threaten to resort to legal law suit to get it resolved. Good luck telling them the difference between "should" and "must"

I learned it the hard way with my Audi. I just don't have time and effort to argue with them anymore. I just let my dealer do my maintenance. If they ask for something outrageous then I go with different shop/dealer.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:51 PM
so are you guys changing the oil every 3k miles?

Old 08-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by swordfish
so are you guys changing the oil every 3k miles?
I do it at every 3,750

Old 08-20-2007, 03:56 PM
roger that...

Old 08-20-2007, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Dweezil
Yes, I pay $38-$39 for an oil & filter change from the Infiniti dealership, which includes other items as you mentioned (except the happy ending). I used to change my oil a LONG time ago in a previous car. But for me, it's just not worth my time if I can get it done for $39. The most inconvenient part about doing it yourself is the trouble of having to get rid of the used oil (e.g. make sure it's sealed, you put it in the car to ensure it doesn't spill or soil the car, go to the recycling place which is always closed, but fortunately gas stations take it, but deal with the gas station persion who isn't happy to get your used oil, etc.). Not to mention having to get under the car...

Some folks enjoy doing this stuff, so great for them. For me, sorry, I'd prefer to get it done at Infiniti or Nissan.

I also recall when I took a previous car to Jiffy Lube a couple of times in the past, and then I take it to the dealership for something else a few months later, and the dealership would make a comment like some fluid wasn't topped off right, or the fluid doesn't look like it got changed... I can only wonder if Jiffy Lube actually did their job...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Maintenace at dealer.. or who cares go anywhere?