G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Maintenace at dealer.. or who cares go anywhere?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Maintenace at dealer.. or who cares go anywhere?

The first maintenance (oil change) was complimentary, but I think it is normally $85.00 and I am due.

Am I ok to just take it to a Jiffy Lube or whatever.. Do I have to document anything?

Old 08-18-2007, 07:31 PM
I would not take my G35 Sport to Jiffy Lube, dealer cost about 57.00 or learn to do it yourself. Remember don't treat your G like a Ford focus.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:32 PM
I wouldn't take it to jiffy lube. AT least find a good independent. I pay $39 at the dealer for oil service.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
take it to a nissan dealership. also, check the local dealer's websites...they often have service specials.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Stealership........NEVER!

I can't tell you how many members cars have been jacked up by going to the
dealership. I buy my oil whenever I can find it on sale, then order my filters
on line. My buddy lets me use his rack and I do it myself, change oil/filter,
check tires pressure and check fluid levels. Less than an hour and I'm back
on the road. This way I don't worry about the boozo's messin with my car,
washing it when I asked them not to or locking my keys in the car.(this happned). Stay away from outfits like Jiffy Lube, I wouldn't trust them with
my lawnmower!

Old 08-18-2007, 09:12 PM
nsv
I couldn't put it in better words -

If it will give you peace of mind, than by all means... But I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

The warranty does not say you need to keep records/receipts of all your oil changes to keep your warranty... It says that Nissan may inspect them, and may use them against you... However, that would be illegal... Here's why:

If you read the ACTUAL warranty jargon, it doesn't say anything about having to produce receipts and records.... It just says to follow the owners manual. The owners manual says to follow the Infiniti Service and Maintenance Guide.

1.) The Maintenance Guide, is called a Guide. That has specific legal meaning.

2.) Page seven of the maintenance guide said that you should follow one of the maintenance schedules. The word "should" has a specific legal meaning.

3.) Page eleven of the maintenace guide says, "The services listed represent the minimal factory recommended requirements for each time/mileage interval..." The word "recommended" has a specific legal meaning.

Now, I'm not arguing that you shouldn't be properly maintaining your car... I'm just saying that all this nonsense with saving receipts and records, is a scare tactic to get you to use the dealer for your service needs. They will not have a legal leg to stand on, if they try to deny you a warranty claim...

(I work in the International Standards industry, and I work with legions of attorneys that hassle me all the time about legal definitions of phrases I use in the specifications that I write. Especially when it involves conveying mandatory requirements.)

The warranty allows you to perform these maintence items yourself. The warranty does not make any requirements on what needs to be conveyed in any written documenation about your maintence that was performed. Simply noting that you actually did something, is more than sufficient, becuase they cannot claim it is insufficient, because the requirements were never spilled out. For example, the warranty does not say that your maintence records needs to be notarized in front of a witness, etc, etc. Keeping receipts of your oil purchases etc is pointless, because it just proves you bought oil, it doesn't prove you actually used it, etc.
Source - https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...=168812&page=2
Author - avs007

Old 08-18-2007, 09:14 PM
None of the dealerships you guys used offered free scheduled maintenance for up to 75,000 miles?

I paid a tad bit extra to get that service. The dealer said it was an option for those people wanting to have what BMW offers.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:09 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I've used the same oil change place for six yeas (and four cars); it's not a Jiffy Lube but similar concept. And they've always done excellent work - just depends what place you find.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KDG35
I would not take my G35 Sport to Jiffy Lube, dealer cost about 57.00 or learn to do it yourself. Remember don't treat your G like a Ford focus.

YOU TELL EM'! .. haha

Old 08-19-2007, 03:26 AM
it's not like they're rebuilding your engine. it's just changing oil, any grease monkey can do it. plus most of those places it's not like they drive your car either, you pull in to a bay and they work on it. just watch them do everything, you gotta be pretty bad to mess up on a oil change.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:12 AM
I've brought several of my Acuras to Jiffy Lube-type places for years, but my attitude is changing a bit.

In the last several years we are seeing very low cost import filters (less than $1.00 acquisition cost for popular auto lube filter numbers) entering this marketplace (from China and Korea.) Quality wise, they aren't horrible, but are not the equal to WIX, Champ Labs, Baldwin, etc. If you live in a large metro area, there is a real possibility that you could encounter these lower cost, lower performance knock-off filters.

My solution, as my dealer is a mere two hours away, was to buy several Nissan filters from him the last time I visited, and I have them installed at a local independent auto repair garage. I trust the owners and workers there, and at least I know I am using the OE filter. I save my receipts, for what it's worth.

And yeah, I do know that Nissan doesn't manufacture filters, nor do I know who manufactures their filters, but at least I know they are made to Nissan's specs.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
it's not like they're rebuilding your engine. it's just changing oil, any grease monkey can do it. plus most of those places it's not like they drive your car either, you pull in to a bay and they work on it. just watch them do everything, you gotta be pretty bad to mess up on a oil change.

Well you would be surprised, yes its easy to do but some people couldn't care less about your car. And further more most peopel haven't herd about the scams Jiffy lube was pulling on people nation wide Search youtube and you'll see what I mean.

I have moved alot the last few years so i haven;t been able to find a good low cost place to take my cars. But until then I do it myself or I take some where they see my veichle alot(Dealer), less chance of f,ing it up. And if they do they are more conceared about a bad rep than what it actually costs them to fix it. Those other place my just say, sue me!

Just my 2 cents

Old 08-19-2007, 02:23 PM
yeah i guess it's really up to how you feel about some of these places. I just try not to make the guys working at jiffy lube angry and just mope around and they usually do a great job, but it's different everywhere and you can't expect the same results. Whatever you feel most comfortable with, I say go with it. Good luck on finding the right shop for you

Old 08-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
... I just try not to make the guys working at jiffy lube angry and just mope around and they usually do a great job ...
Customer service is gone in this country when we have to worry about making the people we give money to angry.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:11 PM
its a ****ing oil change!! this is not some supercar...just take it to wal mart and get the $15 oil change. if it makes you feel better supply your own oil filter. im just wondering...if anyone owned a maxima or altima would they pay over $50 for an friggin oil change?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Maintenace at dealer.. or who cares go anywhere?