G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

How did I ever live without Nav + XM Traffic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did I ever live without Nav + XM Traffic?

Nav with XM traffic shows traffic flow along the route. I love this feature. But today I realized that's only part of it.

Drove across the LA basin today using the freeway system. Geena (my G girl voice) announced to me that there was congestion up ahead, and would I like to select an alternate route? With my attention drawn to the Nav screen, a new route was displayed about a mile ahead. I used the Nav arrows to move the pointer around and Zoomed the map out to see what traffic looked like on the original route vs. the alternate route. I also clicked on Info>Traffic Info to see additional details. I decided to stay on the original route and Geena obligingly continued on course. About a mile ahead was the traffic jam (just as predicted), but I got off the 605 onto the 5 where the freeway was green arrows all the way downtown. And so it was....

You know, I really could care less about XM Radio -- with all the music options in the car, 250 stations of satellite radio (of which I listen to maybe a dozen) is just ridiculous. But I'll pay whatever they want for XM Traffic.

I love my G!!!

Old 08-22-2007, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by g354jb
Nav with XM traffic shows traffic flow along the route. I love this feature. But today I realized that's only part of it.

Drove across the LA basin today using the freeway system. Geena (my G girl voice) announced to me that there was congestion up ahead, and would I like to select an alternate route? With my attention drawn to the Nav screen, a new route was displayed about a mile ahead. I used the Nav arrows to move the pointer around and Zoomed the map out to see what traffic looked like on the original route vs. the alternate route. I also clicked on Info>Traffic Info to see additional details. I decided to stay on the original route and Geena obligingly continued on course. About a mile ahead was the traffic jam (just as predicted), but I got off the 605 onto the 5 where the freeway was green arrows all the way downtown. And so it was....

You know, I really could care less about XM Radio -- with all the music options in the car, 250 stations of satellite radio (of which I listen to maybe a dozen) is just ridiculous. But I'll pay whatever they want for XM Traffic.

I love my G!!!
How do you go about getting XM? Does it come pre-wired as part of a package? If not, do I have to go into the dealer and pay whatever to have XM available?

Old 08-22-2007, 12:47 AM
I got a 3 month trial subscription with my Journey model. The Nav system comes with satellite radio (and I think you can get it without Nav, but I am not sure). The moment I pushed the ignition switch I got XM radio. No muss, no fuss.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:15 AM
So what happens when your 3 month trial is over? Do you pay the dealership a monthly fee or XM will contact you to ask you if you want to continue and start paying the fees with them?

Old 08-22-2007, 01:32 AM
Premier Member

You pay the fee to the XM company...The longer you buy the cheaper it is...1 year package is cheaper then a month to month. But month to month you can cancel anytime....

Old 08-22-2007, 02:15 AM
It's about $2 or $3 per month - and I agree... it rocks.

Some areas have better coverage than others, but in LA it's extremely accurate.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:43 AM
So the navi comes with XM prewired I guess and just needs to be activated? How do I go about activating it?

Old 08-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Follow the instructions in the manual and sign up online at xmradio.com.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:28 AM
I love the Nav in this car, but I have yet to see the benefit of XM Traffic. I've hit a few major back ups on major roadways in the Boston area and the Nav has yet to recommend to me an alternate route as you describe.

Just to answer the question which is probably coming . . . yes, I did turn on the traffic option and I did activate my XM Traffic free trial.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:40 AM
2 questions!

Does the 3 month start after activation?

Does the subscription cancel itself after the 3 months?

Old 08-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NewGuyG35
2 questions!

Does the 3 month start after activation?

Does the subscription cancel itself after the 3 months?
Yes, the three months starts after activation and it does cancel after 3 months. (thogh I've heard some people still have the serivce after the trial periods)

Also, you can subscribe only to the XM Traffic service, which is $9.99/month.
Otherwise, you'd need to pay something like $17.00/month for both radio and traffic.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:45 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
One question: Who's Geena?

The problem with XM Traffic is it's apparently only available in the big cities. Not available for me in Hick City. Too bad, wish it were. But in Hick City, three cars at a stop light constitutes a "traffic jam." Specially since some of us here tend to forget what the green light means (the G has a fine, loud horn!).

Old 08-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Geena is the name of my car, and she talks to me when Nav and Voice Commands are accessed. I decided to name her when my 9 year old first heard the "voice", and asked me "Daddy, who is that?". When I told her "she" was the voice of my car, she asked "Does she have a name?". So we named her.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by g354jb
Geena is the name of my car, and she talks to me when Nav and Voice Commands are accessed. I decided to name her when my 9 year old first heard the "voice", and asked me "Daddy, who is that?". When I told her "she" was the voice of my car, she asked "Does she have a name?". So we named her.
That's a great story! I can relate.

For me, the kids are grown/gone, and the wife frequently won't speak to me. Sometimes, the most meaningful conversation I have all day are with "Geena." I think I have a crush on her.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:02 PM
i love it when she says "you have arived at your destination"
how can i live without you?! haha

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How did I ever live without Nav + XM Traffic?