G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Paddle Shifters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paddle Shifters

For those of you who have the paddle shifters on your G how do the paddle shifters feel for everyday use versus shifting from the transmision shifter. Reason I'm asking is because the transmission shifter on the G35 is position ideally. The height is perfect and you don't need to overly reach for it. To me it appears that using the transmission shifter instead of the paddle shifter would feel better. Specially since the paddle shifter don't move with the steering wheel.

And before someone suggest that I buy a manual I've been driving nothing but manual since 1983. I just don't enjoy it as much for everyday driving / commuting any more.

Thanks.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Disclaimer: Only based on my (numerous) test drives & friend's car etc etc

Paddle is much nicer to use to shift - your hands stay on the wheel. Also its cooler since shifting the actual shifter is old school (like a manual tranny) - this one feels F1ish haha

Also I don't really prefer shifting half-way into a corner -- feels like it throws the car off balance (esp in fast corners) - so the paddle not moving with the wheel doesn't bother me too much.

PS: You don't have to defend your decision on buying an auto - its all a matter of preference (much like the color) -- and only 10-15% of the Gs are 6MTs - so you are in the majority

Old 09-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
^ Whs!

Old 09-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
at first i didn't like using the paddle shifts because there was always a delay just like I remembered in my cousin's IS300...but now that the ECU is getting used to the way i drive it definitely shifts faster. i only use paddles in a straight line shoot and never around turns because of what you guys mentioned earlier about the paddles not being attached to the steering wheel. the best part about this car IMO is DS mode. rev matching and high rpm shifting is awesome

Old 09-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I prefer the tranny shifter, the paddles are usually not easy to reach in most situations on turns or when your hands are in 10/2 position. it seems the paddles are designed for your hands to be in 9/3 position. paddles are good for strait aways driving or wide open turns at high speed. everyday driving I use M mode and the tranny shifter.

Last edited by kring; 09-28-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:37 PM
That's interesting. I rarely drive with my hands at the 9/3 position.
Thanks for the feedback.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by kring
I prefer the tranny shifter, the paddles are usually not easy to reach in most situations on turns or when your hands are in 10/2 position. it seems the paddles are designed for your hands to be in 9/3 position. paddles are good for strait aways driving or wide open turns at high speed. everyday driving I use M mode and the tranny shifter.
Technically, you're not supposed to shift in a turn anyways.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Technically, you're not supposed to shift in a turn anyways.
for performance driving yes, but when I'm stopped at a light and am making a left turn, I always have to shift in the turn, paddles are impossible to use for every-day driving, I still love them and am glad they are there for when I'm having some fun...

They say it's better to have them mounted on the column for racing, but I think for the average person it's better to have them on the wheel for convenience.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:00 PM
i dont use my paddle shifters AT ALL...i mostly use DS just like mentioned earlier

Old 09-29-2007, 12:23 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I use mine almost 100% of the time - feels weird not to use them now. Easy to reach, your hands stay on the wheel, and you can hit downshifts of multiple gears faster. Others are right, DS works really well, but I like the car being in the gear I choose.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:11 AM
If part of you has that spirit that you wish you were an F1 driver, get the paddles...they might not be "practical" (they ARE NOT impossible to use in everyday driving - I spent a whole day using nothing but paddles) but they're a WHOLE LOTTA FUN!

Old 09-29-2007, 10:49 AM
I started this thread because I plan to buy an 08 G35X and was trying to decide if the additional features of the sport package was worth it. But after using the search and reading many threads according to a lot of people here the sport seats alone are worth it. But thanks for all the feedback.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Paddle shifters in full Automatic

I don't believe that anyone else has mentioned this.
In the full automatic mode, you can paddle shift down to pass and then the automatic will up shift when it wants to.
It works great in rush hour traffic when a hole suddenly opens up.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Didn't know that, very useful.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:10 PM
I love the paddle shifter. I would not have bought this car without the paddle shifters. I have never used the tranny shifter because my elbow hits the side of the seat.

I love the fact that the shifter is not moving with the steering wheel. You will have a hard time knowing which paddle is + and which is - during turns. Go drive the IS 350 and you know what I am talking about.

A few things I love about the paddle shifters:
1. I can shift up or down while I am in auto mode.
2. While drive in auto on the freeway in auto when you use the shifter to go to the DS mode the tranny kicks into 4th gear. I don't like that. So this is what I do to avoid it. I shift first using + paddle and now I am in M mode running 5th gear. Next move the tranny shifter into M. Now I am in M mode. Basically I bypass the DS mode. I never like the DS mode any way.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifters