G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

08 Voice Recognition Commands

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJG35
Has anyone noticed that the actual commands available in the 08 Voice Recognition system are much fewer than what's listed in the manual and fewer than what was available on the 07s? (even in Alternate Command Mode) For example, it includes a command for changing to satellite radio mode, but doesn't have a command for tuning to a specific station. The command for climate control allows you to turn the system on and off, but not control the temperature. What's the deal?
This was done as a result of a JD Power IQS customer survey. Its designed to improve usability and performance of the system. Not happy that they made the change I really don't think it was necessary and it deleted some great well used commands. If enough of us complain maybe they will go back to the old vr system.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by DJG35
I just confirmed that there are less available voice commands in 08 as compared to 07.

There's a pdf on the Infiniti website called: "2008 Infiniti Voice Recognition Owner's Manual Supplement"

It starts off by saying: "The information contained in this owner’s manual supplement replaces all information related to the Voice Recognition System contained in the vehicle’s owner’s manual and the navigation system owner’s manual."

It's got a much shorter list of available voice commands. Anybody know what happend? Seems very strange to have a shorter list of options in a later model year. My guess is that the system wasn't recognizing the commands very well, so they limited the number of them.
The system recognized the commands fine, they designed it to walk the user through it easier, but it actually makes it more time consuming. We want quick response and they made a bad choice in my opinion.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by AndrewCCM
Got my G35 S yesterday... I need to go check it out... Heck, I need to figure out how to do the voice commands without all the prompting for that matter. LOL

Guess that happens when you have had it less than 24hrs..
You should have had a delivery Coordinator at that dealership! They would have walked you through your entire car! Go to info /voice recognition/command list and you will find the entire list and exactly how to say them. Good Luck!

Old 10-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by MAH4546
In addition to the deleted voice commands I hear that new models no longer have the auto raising steering wheel and auto backing driver seat feature. Is that true?
My 08 does not have the longer list of voice commands, but does have the auto raise steering wheel and auto backing driver seat. I don't know whether or not they are removing these features from cars being built now, but at least my car has them.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:14 PM
In addition to the deleted voice commands I hear that new models no longer have the auto raising steering wheel and auto backing driver seat feature. Is that true?
I just picked up my 08 Journey w/Nav, Premium, and sport yesterday. The auto raise steering wheel and driver seat sliding back when shutting down the car are still functional (selectable via setup).

-Craig-

Old 10-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Lack of understanding

This really frosts my shorts. How can anyone think that REMOVING commands would improve useability? For those that don't know the commands, they wouldn't use them. But for people who want to use as much of the car as possible (especially with the nav lock-out), having the complete list of '07 commands would come in very useful.

Sometimes I just don't understand car makers. People want more options not less....especially when there is no additional cost!

Wurst not First

Old 10-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Just picked up a brand new 2008 G35x Prem/Nav/Tech and I can confirm that
1) voice commands like "temperature 70" work, and
2) wheel, gauge cluster, and driver's seat move out of the way when getting out of the car

Old 10-21-2007, 11:08 PM
I'll go check and get back to you.. I don't think these features have been removed. At least I read about them in the manual. Haven't actually tried using them yet.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:46 AM
I don't understand why some of the 08's have these commands and others don't.

Mine has them and also does the auto steering wheel raise thing as well.

Is it possible, that the car doesn't like your voice on these commands? Have you had a friend try them? I hav eno trouble with most commands, but I can never get it to recognize my home town name.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
list which packages you have on your car... it could be the extra commands are part of a package set of options...

Old 10-22-2007, 12:55 PM
I did above, but I have the 08 sedan with premium and nav packages. I do not have the tech package.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:15 PM
It appears that some of the voice commands have been changed, but not removed. "Satellite radio channel 222" doesn't work in my '08 Sedan (sport/nav/prem), but "xm 222" does.

Last edited by darreng; 10-22-2007 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by darreng
It appears that some of the voice commands have been changed, but not removed. "Satellite radio channel 222" doesn't work in my '08 Sedan (sport/nav/prem), but "xm 222" does.
This is odd... "XM 222" does not work in mine, but "satellite radio channel 222" does....

Old 10-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by civengpe
This is odd... "XM 222" does not work in mine, but "satellite radio channel 222" does....
Not odd, I just suck apparently. Re-checked over lunch and I obviously misremembered which combo of commands worked.

"XM 222" no-go.

Both "Satellite radio 222" and just "satellite 222" worked like a charm.

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by pj03
You should have had a delivery Coordinator at that dealership! They would have walked you through your entire car! Go to info /voice recognition/command list and you will find the entire list and exactly how to say them. Good Luck!
He showed me some of them, but said they have decided to show the basics at initial pick up and then have a thorough session with you when you pick up the license plates. He said they hae discovered that most people are overwhelmed with the features on day 1 and retain it better if they have a couple of weeks with the car first.

Sorta made sense to me, but I would have liked to have a bit more day 1.

One thing was ironic, he was trying to show me the multi-command thing, like Temperature 77, etc.. And it wasn't working. It does appear that mine is one that has some of the commands removed or changed... I tried every combo I could think of to get multi-word commands to work...Not getting anywhere right now.

I can, however, confirm that the auto seat back and steering wheel raise on exit are still options.

My 08 has all options except the Tech Package.

Going back out to try the XM 222, etc commands now..

PITA

Andrew

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 08 Voice Recognition Commands