G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

08 Voice Recognition Commands

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As noted in a previous post there is a "2008 Infiniti Voice Recognition Owner's Manual Supplement" on Infiniti's website (to access type "user guide" in the search and it will be in the results). In that manual on page 1-12 it states that there are two modes, a standard and alternate command mode. In standard mode (the factory default) the audio and climate control hands-free operation is not available through the voice recognition. The alternate command mode has an expanded list of commands. So it appears that this is the reason for some people's commands working as they relate to the climate and the radio.

Hope this helps everyone!

Old 10-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by birdman84
As noted in a previous post there is a "2008 Infiniti Voice Recognition Owner's Manual Supplement" on Infiniti's website (to access type "user guide" in the search and it will be in the results). In that manual on page 1-12 it states that there are two modes, a standard and alternate command mode. In standard mode (the factory default) the audio and climate control hands-free operation is not available through the voice recognition. The alternate command mode has an expanded list of commands. So it appears that this is the reason for some people's commands working as they relate to the climate and the radio.

No, that's unfortunately not it. You're right that there's a Standard Mode and an Alternate Mode, and that the Alternate Mode has options for climate, etc. But, it appears that on some of our cars the available commands (even in Alternate Mode) are much less than what was in previous systems. See page 1-28 in that Supplement. The only climate commands in Alternate Command Mode are to turn the system on and off (not adjust the temp, etc.)

Old 10-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by birdman84

Wish it was that simple. Unfortunately, I have alt command mode and minimize voice feedback enabled. Neither seem to be doing much. The voice prompts are the same and the only expanded commands I get are climate control on or off. Neither XM or Satellite # work by voice other than just switching to that source. It does not switch to the channel by voice. This is driving me nuts.

Lol

Old 11-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Just to add 1 more to the sample size...

I picked up my 08 G35x yesterday, with premium and navigation. Build date was September.

I can confirm that I have the limited voice command options. No temperature, channel change commands work. All the commands listed in the updated user guide work well, but if I try any of the old commands that aren't still listed, it typically just gives me something completely unrelated. (Ex. I say "Temperature 72", she says "Current location stored in destinations").

Not a big deal, as I think changing temp using voice is just a novelty, as the control is literally a couple of inches away from your hands.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by GeeWizzard
Just to add 1 more to the sample size...

I picked up my 08 G35x yesterday, with premium and navigation. Build date was September.

I can confirm that I have the limited voice command options. No temperature, channel change commands work. All the commands listed in the updated user guide work well, but if I try any of the old commands that aren't still listed, it typically just gives me something completely unrelated. (Ex. I say "Temperature 72", she says "Current location stored in destinations").

Not a big deal, as I think changing temp using voice is just a novelty, as the control is literally a couple of inches away from your hands.
I'll trade you some voice commands for an iPod interface.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Jim123
Good point. I love the iPod integration. I posted the original comment on this issue a couple of weeks ago right after I got the car, and have to say that I've gotten over it. I agree with the prior post regarding the climate control. Who cares if you can't control it with your voice? I generally set it once and don't touch it again. It would be kinda cool to control the XM stations with voice because I tend to listen to a lot of them, but once the presets are set it's no big deal.

So, after a couple of weeks, I'm no longer bugged by this issue. The extra voice reco features would be kinda cool, but really are unnecessary. The car is still awesome without them.

Just FYI - I did ask my dealer about this issue. He checked with Infiniti and found out that the reason that they shortened the list of commands was because they were getting hurt on a JD Power new owner survey. The long list of commands in the prior version was apparently confusing for some people. Pretty lame, but that's the marketing reality.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Jim123
Ha! Played quickly with the iPod interface yesterday, and was a really nice feature. Worked flawlessly with my iPhone, and having full command of the audio features is great. There is also a little cutout under the armrest that allows the ipod integration wire to stick through, in case you want to keep your ipod/iphone in your cupholder.

It would be nice if you could transfer your contact list through that wire as well, but I don't think that is possible.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:07 PM
I have a '08 35x and I have an iPhone as well...It works great, but not flawlessly.

the most glaring problem I've come across is when you're scrolling through Artists, then select album, then song...If you wanted to switch to a different artists after you've already selected to play the song and backed out to Artist again it will NOT advance to album. The only workaround is to hit Back again to the iPod main screen...Very frustrating if you have some 70+ artists on that iPhone. Keeping my fingers crossed that its a simple iPhone update in the near future.

This other incident only happened once: Not sure what I was doing but my iPhone screen froze while connected to the interface kit. I had to disconnect and give it a hard reset to get it working again...

I'm going to go try out the expanded list of commands that seem to work on 07 Navs and check off which ones work and which don't...

Old 11-15-2007, 05:07 PM
I drove home my 2008 last night. It was built in September. I can confirm that the voice recognition commands have definately been changed. Thanks for the tip on the supplement from the web site.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:42 PM
**in addition to the deleted voice commands I hear that new models no longer have the auto raising steering wheel and auto backing driver seat feature. Is that true?*****

No, it's NOT true...just picked up 08 Journey, and it definitely has the auto seatback on exit feature (it can be switched off under the "Comfort and Convenience" Settings menu)

Old 11-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Serbonze
I drove home my 2008 last night. It was built in September. I can confirm that the voice recognition commands have definately been changed. Thanks for the tip on the supplement from the web site.
my 2008 g35x was built in August, and it seems to have the additional commands, i.e., "temperature 73" works.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:38 PM
My G35 Journey was built in September - and temperature and radio channel commands do not work.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:39 PM
i just picked up an "08 g35s with premium/nav pkgs in November (i don't know the exact month of build, but the car came directly from the factory). the climate control and radio voice commands definitely don't work... I checked the alternate command mode and all settings trying to find them, but they're definitely not there. I don't mind the climate control commands that much, but it would be really nice to have the radio commands, especially for the xm... what kind of marketing bs would take away one of the most useful features, IMHO???

Does anyone know if we can go back to the prior version? What would you lose by doing that?

I'd also like to throw a about not being able to "have a passenger" enter a destination in the nav while you're driving. At least 75% of the times i have ever used a nav prior to this car, someone (and yes, it actually was a passenger) was entering the destination while driving, not while the car was parked... Freedom of choice would be nice, it bugs me that they feel they need to protect us from stupid people.

whew... I love the car anyway.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:11 PM
I don't know the build date of my car (most likely Sept or later) but I picked it up in late October, and NO commands

My dealer is looking into trying to get the Nav system flashed to a previous version. I don't see why we couldn't, since some of us on here with 08s have the expanded commands.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:34 PM
08 Navi Voice Recognition

Any news on getting the system updated to include all of the voice commands? I just purchased a G and it has the limited command set(G35x,Prem/Navi) I really like using the radio commands due to the large number of XM stations I like to use.

Thanks
Ed

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 08 Voice Recognition Commands