G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Is intelligent key a gimmick?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UltimateGee27
Yup all Bimmers are the same..i was driving a new X5 this week end (what a hell of a car ) and i had to stik the little fob in a hole everytime to start it

My friends 2007 Maxima is the same well actually diff....you keep the ikey in your pocket but you have to turn a key that is embedded in the ingition...kinda weird but whatever
only if you dont opt for comfort access are they like that. With comfort access it works just like an ikey and its a $550 option.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fecurtis
I actually get pissed now whenever I actually have to take my keys out of my pocket...why can't my damn house have an intelligent key.

Every time I have to open my house door I think about it. WHY? I certanly would love to just push it and walk in.

TG

Old 11-19-2007, 02:40 PM
After 3500 miles with this car, I still can't get used to the idea that I can leave the key in my pocket. I end up putting it on the seat between my legs or in the cup holder. The other day the keys fell between the seat and the console and took me a while to fish them out -- anybody tried to get their hand between the seat and the console on these cars? 25+ years of shoving a key in a hole is hard to unlearn.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by G-Whizzer
OP must be high on crack...
Why WOULDN'T you want a smart key?
At (3) total posts, you sound a bit like a troll. But, hey, I'm game.
1. Never having to remove the key from your pocket.
2. Having the car adjust the seats, mirrors, etc, based on your fob (up to 2 total)
3. Never having to remove the key from your pocket. (or purse for you ladies)
4. Pushing a button to open the trunk (Never having to remove the key from your pocket)
5. Push a button to start and stop the engine (Never having to remove the key from your pocket)
6. oh yeah, Never having to remove the key from your pocket.

So losing your key is your major complaint? If you never have to remove it from your pocket, the odds of losing it are MUCH LOWER, no?
1. Yeah that's a real burden lifting that big heavy key! Good technology for amputees though! Oh wait...how do they push the button?
2. I think you need the Premium Option package for this.
3. See no. 1. My wife loves gimmicky stuff so the purse thing is cool.
4. Every time I go down to my garage in my skivvies to get something out of the trunk I never seem to have the key on me.
5. Big whoop. I owned a 1954 Morris Minor with a push button ignition. It had a crank too as a battery backup.
6. See No. 3. And if you ever reach into your pocket and don't find the key it is going to cost you $200 and a trip to the dealer for reprogramming.

Actually I have discovered a couple benefits.
1. I don't have the FOB swinging back and forth causing a tapping noise against my steering column. Gotta love that.
2. I can be putting on my seat belt and starting the CD while the car is starting itself.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:51 PM
a.k.a kleicoupe
I would love to have an I key. I woulld love to not have to remove the key from my pocket to start the car.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
[QUOTE=fecurtis]why can't my damn house have an intelligent key.

QUOTE]

It can...

http://www.weiserlock.ca/smartscan/smartscan_eng.html

Old 11-19-2007, 04:04 PM
thumbs up for the Ikey and all the perks. yeeah!

Old 11-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
[QUOTE=fecurtis]why can't my damn house have an intelligent key.

QUOTE]

It can...

http://www.weiserlock.ca/smartscan/smartscan_eng.html

Old 11-19-2007, 06:58 PM
^^^ must cost an arm and a leg!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by barrister89
After 3500 miles with this car, I still can't get used to the idea that I can leave the key in my pocket. I end up putting it on the seat between my legs or in the cup holder. The other day the keys fell between the seat and the console and took me a while to fish them out -- anybody tried to get their hand between the seat and the console on these cars? 25+ years of shoving a key in a hole is hard to unlearn.
+2!!!! This happened to me at a rest stop. The fob fell out of my pocket and between the seats. It literally took me 30 minutes digging around to find the darn thing. It was so frustrating because I knew the fob was somewhere in the car because it would start up just fine.

I love my i-key though!!!!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Infinitude
1. Yeah that's a real burden lifting that big heavy key! Good technology for amputees though! Oh wait...how do they push the button?
2. I think you need the Premium Option package for this.
3. See no. 1. My wife loves gimmicky stuff so the purse thing is cool.
4. Every time I go down to my garage in my skivvies to get something out of the trunk I never seem to have the key on me.
5. Big whoop. I owned a 1954 Morris Minor with a push button ignition. It had a crank too as a battery backup.
6. See No. 3. And if you ever reach into your pocket and don't find the key it is going to cost you $200 and a trip to the dealer for reprogramming.

Actually I have discovered a couple benefits.
1. I don't have the FOB swinging back and forth causing a tapping noise against my steering column. Gotta love that.
2. I can be putting on my seat belt and starting the CD while the car is starting itself.
First benefit doesn't apply if the ignition is not actually on the steering column.

Besides, most all of car features are gimmicks. Cruise control, keyless entry was once viewed as a gimmick now every car has it. Why not complain about headlights that tilt, or just xenon headlamps in general because they're brighter than regular and they hurt your eyes.

Don't want gimmicks? Great, save the money and buy a Kia or something.

Or just complain about fuel injection and the death of the carb.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:18 PM
my sister's house has a key fob like a car alarm. To arm, disarm, and have the house on inside mode....

Old 11-19-2007, 10:49 PM
sooo new question is, is there a i-key mod yet for cars that arent equiped with it? :P

Old 11-20-2007, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by barrister89
^ FAIL.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Infinitude.......you are a gimmick hahahahahahaha

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is intelligent key a gimmick?