G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Is intelligent key a gimmick?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
After riding around in an 07 loaner, I can really appreciate the Ikey, its very sweet. One thing that hasnt been mentioned tho....

With traditional keys... Im sure some people on this forum have done the inevitable atleast one time in their lives, turning the key in the ignition while the car is already on, one of the most cringing sounds on this planet. With an Ikey, this is certainly a thing of the past

Old 11-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chilibowl
After riding around in an 07 loaner, I can really appreciate the Ikey, its very sweet. One thing that hasnt been mentioned tho....

With traditional keys... Im sure some people on this forum have done the inevitable atleast one time in their lives, turning the key in the ignition while the car is already on, one of the most cringing sounds on this planet. With an Ikey, this is certainly a thing of the past
Nice point Chili - I've done this myself on a few occasions - never again.
A few more benefits that weren't touched upon
1. Never accidentally locking your keys in your trunk and you have your trunk release lever in the cabin in the locked position. (happened to me once)
2. Being able to start your car on cold days (or extremely hot days), getting out and locking the doors to let it run for a while. I guess you can do that on regular cars if you carried around 2 sets of keys, one to leave in the ignition and the other to lock the doors, but that's just stupid.

Infinitude, i don't see how you can't appreciate your ikey - i absolutley love mines. But hey, if you're not happy or see the benifits, that's your right to say so on this forum. If a poll where set up and asked everyone if they like or didn't like their ikey (or thought it was a gimmick that they could do without) I'm sure over 90% of 2007 sedan owners would say that it's a great feature to have.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cnugs127
Nice point Chili - I've done this myself on a few occasions - never again.
A few more benefits that weren't touched upon
1. Never accidentally locking your keys in your trunk and you have your trunk release lever in the cabin in the locked position. (happened to me once)
2. Being able to start your car on cold days (or extremely hot days), getting out and locking the doors to let it run for a while. I guess you can do that on regular cars if you carried around 2 sets of keys, one to leave in the ignition and the other to lock the doors, but that's just stupid.

Infinitude, i don't see how you can't appreciate your ikey - i absolutley love mines. But hey, if you're not happy or see the benifits, that's your right to say so on this forum. If a poll where set up and asked everyone if they like or didn't like their ikey (or thought it was a gimmick that they could do without) I'm sure over 90% of 2007 sedan owners would say that it's a great feature to have.
Well said.

The I-Key was one of the minor reasons why I opted with the G35.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Interesting, I didn't know bimmers were like that. To me, that completely defeats the purpose of push button start.
And it's a $500 option to make Bimmers as smart as the G's iKey.

The other benefit is my wife can't try to "start" the car when it's already running...

Old 11-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JayJay3452
^^^ must cost an arm and a leg!

From Home Despot.ca:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

Weiser Lock
SmartScan Deadbolt, Bright Brass
Model: WED1480 3 PC B SLS2
Internet/Cat #: 937623
Store SKU #: 129963
Bright Brass - shimmering and lustrous
SmartKey technology safeguards against lock 'bumping'
Rugged deadbolt design offers maximum security and durability
Perfect for home or office security
$199.00
This item qualifies for Free Shipping

Old 11-20-2007, 01:58 PM
what is the point of NEVER taking the Intelli key out of my pocket the whole day? well just that! i never have to touch my key all day long, while u gotta take your key out of your pocket and turn it HAHA! im too lazy to turn a key i think ill just turn the electric key instead, and btw there is a key inside the intelli key u can pull it out but whats the point.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:01 PM
i was about to ask if you could start the car then leave it, without leaving the key.

one advantage to my old car that had every one jealous, the lock that holds the key in the ignition wore out, so was able to start it, take the keys, lock the doors and come back inside to get my gf, then head back out to a warm car, or if i just wanted to listen to the stereo and not want some one to drive off with the car...

Old 11-20-2007, 04:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think you can lock the car and walk away, but you can exit the car and it stays running, well, I haven't tried that with my '07, but that was the case with the ikey on my '05.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
I don't think you can lock the car and walk away, but you can exit the car and it stays running, well, I haven't tried that with my '07, but that was the case with the ikey on my '05.
+1
I don't think that's changed

Old 11-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
+1
I don't think that's changed
You can lock it still. i do it all the time. if you use your remote on the fob itself, it will lock the doors but it won't make the honking noise like it normally does. Try it and check the doors. Should be locked.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Out of many - one people
You can leave the engine running and lock the car.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Callaway
+2!!!! This happened to me at a rest stop. The fob fell out of my pocket and between the seats. It literally took me 30 minutes digging around to find the darn thing. It was so frustrating because I knew the fob was somewhere in the car because it would start up just fine.

I love my i-key though!!!!
Frustrating? Nah, at least you can drive it home. Back in my 05 coupe, I dropped my keys between the seat/console and couldn't get them out to save my life. I was stuck at the gas station for an hour trying to find some tool to get it back so I could get my a$$ home.

My G has my back, I don't forget anything anymore. Get in the car and start it up = yes I have my keys. "Connected to Rob cell" = I guess I have my phone too.

iKey =
G =

Last edited by csdstudio; 11-21-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by cnugs127
You can lock it still. i do it all the time. if you use your remote on the fob itself, it will lock the doors but it won't make the honking noise like it normally does. Try it and check the doors. Should be locked.
Confirmed you can lock the car. But again...no reason still to take the key out of your pocket! Start the car, get out, lock the door using the button on the outside of the door, and walk away. Use same button to get back in. Key stays in your pocket the whole time.

I got rid of that honking sound on locking the first week I had the car. Drove me nuts for some reason.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:41 PM
i too turned the honking sound off the second day i had my G...but then i turned it back on because i like the "beep beep" when you lock the car with the button on the door. I just don't ever use the remote.

walk up...press the button..."beep"...get in....drive...stop...get out....press the button..."beep beep". i never touch the key.

very easy.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:46 PM
ummm....sorry...i clicked...nothing happened...i clicked...nothing happened...i clicked....well you see the results.

Sorry for the multiple posts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is intelligent key a gimmick?