G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Battery appears to have leaked out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2008 | 09:13 AM
|
G35x
Battery appears to have leaked out

I was driving into work this morning and my wife calls that G won't start. We have been away for about 10 days so I think the battery is merely dead. I attempt to jump start and it doesn't seem to want to take much of a charge. I thought I would just put on charge and deal with it when I got home. We have 3 vehicles. Well charger won't charge either. Upon closer inspection under car I notice liquid that has puddled and dried leaving a white crust all around. It appears the battery wore through somewhere and leaked out.

Quite a bummer. I figure I'll call roadside assistance when I get home. I was hoping I could just get another battery but I imagine they will want to look at car.

Anyone else have this happen? This hasn't been a good morning and too lazy to search right now.

Last edited by treacherous; 01-07-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-07-2008 | 05:05 PM
Checking the battery compartment, is it relatively straightford to take out the battery? Seems like the ECU gets in the way. In the future to replace my battery I would prefer to use the local AutoZone shop, rather than the dealer and get the best aftermarket battery.

Would not want to make it difficult for those battery changers at the retail shops.

Lunchman
2008 G35S prem+nav+spoiler

Old 01-07-2008 | 05:46 PM
If I am not wrong, battery replacement is covered for the first year - in fact for the first 5 or 6 years, you only have to pay part of the new battery cost. So this maybe a free replacement.

Old 01-07-2008 | 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Lunchman
the local AutoZone shop
Autozone will sell you a battery, but they won't touch the car... Learned the hardway with our FX. They asked what it was for, and a disclaimer popped up on their screen advising them that they 'do not' work on Infiniti's.

Old 01-07-2008 | 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by treacherous

What is the longest someone hasn't driven their G and had it start for them? This is the longest period I have gone without starting the car.

Hmm mine sat for like 6 days, and she fired right up. I always have it in my mind, that the next time i try to start my car, it will be dead? But never happened yet*Knocks On WOOD!* But when i first got the car, and checked the battery levels, since it's not a "Maintanence Free" Battery, the water level was kind of low, so my dad added water, and been fine ever since, just gotta keep checking the batt fluid maybe like once every 2 weeks to be safe, so it does not dry up! Wonder why Infiniti chose to use an old style Batt, and not Maintanence free ones? Strange to me.

Old 01-08-2008 | 12:26 AM
I've gone 10-12 days with the G locked and untouched in the garage while away on vacation. Fired right up when we got back.
Knock on Rosewood trim... No problems here yet.

Old 01-08-2008 | 01:00 AM
Somewhat of a false alarm.

I just discovered I didn't have this problem at all. I had RA on the way and cancelled after I decided to check the fluid levels in battery since it wasn't easy for me to see this morning. They were all full. The dried liquid I saw underneath must have been from some road debris I drove through at some point. I decided to jump it off of my Explorer and left it connected for about 10 minutes. She fired right up. I drove around and tried a restart with no problems.

It seems with car not running for 9 days caused the battery to die. Not sure if this contributed but I did lock the car in garage. I wonder if alarm adds any additional load. I guess in the future I need to keep a trickle charger on it.

What is the longest someone hasn't driven their G and had it start for them? This is the longest period I have gone without starting the car.
I'd have the dealer check things out anyway, because, even if you left something on, it should shut off automatically after a certain amount of time unless they changed that in the '07+. I know on my '05, I was using my headlights to light the area while we were loading a few things on a truck, and I had to return to the car twice to turn the lights back on. If you are referring to the factory "alarm", it shouldn't matter, but if it's an aftermarket, I don't know.

Originally Posted by PhoenixINX
Autozone will sell you a battery, but they won't touch the car... Learned the hardway with our FX. They asked what it was for, and a disclaimer popped up on their screen advising them that they 'do not' work on Infiniti's.
Did they give you any reason for this? I'd rather not have somebody from AutoZone touch my car anyway, besides, they just have stores here, no shops to work on cars.

Last edited by ABQ_G35; 01-08-2008 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-08-2008 | 06:24 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
next time you go in for an oil change, tell them your car is hard starting in the morning's and they will do a battery test... If it fails the test, poof new battery.

Old 01-08-2008 | 06:31 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
The ORIGINAL Equipped battery is covered for 1 year 12,000 miles from IN SERVICE date of the vehicle.

The 2nd year or 24,000 miles from IN SERVICE date is a 50% prorated replacement.

The 3rd Year or 36,000 miles from IN SERVICE date is 25% prorated replacement.

However, the NEW battery purchased or replaced by INFINITI is covered for 8 years, with the first 2 years free and 3-8 year prorated replacement...

Its fairly common for the original battery to not hold charge within the first year...

Old 01-09-2008 | 12:18 AM
I've heard the stock batteries are pretty sucky, but mine sits two to three weeks at a time and always starts right up. It's usually not locked though, so I can't comment on the alarm draining it.

Old 01-09-2008 | 07:56 AM
Moderation-free
Staff Alumni
8 days this summer, fired right up.

Old 01-12-2008 | 02:41 AM
Has anyone had any experience with these batteries?

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/

Thanks

Nevermind...found some great reviews

Last edited by d12a60n; 01-12-2008 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-12-2008 | 11:41 AM
Moderation-free
Staff Alumni
Dealership claimed battery checked out fine and it was possible for it to be discharged after 9 days.

Oh well... I was out of fight for the day so made sure I ate a bunch of extra cookies and went on my way.

If it happens again I plan to pick up one of these Optima batteries.
A buddy of mine owns a pretty big battery business, and he told me Optima batteries are not worth the expense unless you're in extreme environments. He recommended Exide based on their manufacturing process, the type of lead coating they use, and a bunch of other stuff that I half-listened to

Had one in each of my last two Maximas, they worked flawlessly for years.

Old 01-12-2008 | 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
A buddy of mine owns a pretty big battery business, and he told me Optima batteries are not worth the expense unless you're in extreme environments. He recommended Exide based on their manufacturing process, the type of lead coating they use, and a bunch of other stuff that I half-listened to

Had one in each of my last two Maximas, they worked flawlessly for years.
Thanks. I appreciate the advice