G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Jerking trans shifting to 1st and stopping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jerking trans shifting to 1st and stopping

Have a new 08 journey auto trans issue. Issue is when sometimes coming to a stop the transmission and car seem to really jerk and be rough when it shifts back into first gear as you decelerate to a stop. Not sure if this is normal or not and worth taking into the dealership? It doesn't happen all the time, just every once in a while when stopping. It also seems to depend on how fast you stop whether you feel the trans jerk as it goes into 1st. This normal or anyone else have this issue? Thanks

Old 01-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by blbncsu
Have a new 08 journey auto trans issue. Issue is when sometimes coming to a stop the transmission and car seem to really jerk and be rough when it shifts back into first gear as you decelerate to a stop. Not sure if this is normal or not and worth taking into the dealership? It doesn't happen all the time, just every once in a while when stopping. It also seems to depend on how fast you stop whether you feel the trans jerk as it goes into 1st. This normal or anyone else have this issue? Thanks
I find that downshifting to 1st at >10 mph and <3 mph (approximately) result in a smooth shift. In between, sometimes there's a definite bang and jerk.

It's almost as if the G doesn't rev match below 10, so you have to be going at almost idle.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Does this happen when you are in "D", "DS", or manual mode?? If this is happening in "D", and it's not a hard stop, I'd say there could be something wrong. Sometimes in "DS", the car may downshift to 1st at a higher RPM, resulting in a jerky shift. If you are in manual mode, I would recommend downshifting from 2nd to 1st when you are almost at a complete stop, or just don't downshift at all and the car will do it for you, nice and smooth.

Hope this helps

Old 01-15-2008, 10:21 AM
This is going to sound stupid but since the car is my wife's and I don't drive it often (only when I'm lucky).
There is a difference between 'D' and 'DS'?? I belive the car has always been in DS mode. We don't ever drive it in the manual mode.
Is 'DS' a type of sport mode? If so, how do I get it back into regular drive or 'D' mode, and whats the difference between the two?

Thanks.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:54 AM
When you put the car in drive (pull the shifter straight back), it is in "D" mode. At this point, if you slide the shifter to the left, you are in "DS" mode. DS is sort of a sport-mode, it holds gears longer, and is designed for spirited driving. Spend some time and search the forum, there are tons of threads about this very topic.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:04 AM
CFW (Carbon Fiber Whore)
this happened to me all the time on my 03 when letting the car downshift to 1st by itself in MM mode when coming to a complete stop. Never did it in D Never got it fixed either

Old 01-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Did some research and all and I don't believe its being put into 'DS' when driving around, just regular old pull the lever straight back into 'D' mode.
Still seems to be very clunky and abrupt occasionally when coming to a stop at certain speeds as it kicks back down into 1st. Not very smooth at all, an 01 maxima with 100k on it never did this. Seeing if I'm the only one or if this is common.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:50 AM
I've noticed less than smooth shifts as well (in D) when coming to a stop.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Anyone took their car in or contacted the dealer about the issue or determine what/why is causing such rough downshifts into 1st when stopping?

Old 01-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have this issue also...just figured it was normal

Old 01-17-2008, 02:14 AM
Far as I know, if your break hard… the car is designed to lower gears automatically to ‎lower your speed and give you a better stop. DS is designed to give you the sporty way of ‎driving by holding gears to higher RPM, that goes the same when you slow down...the ‎car downgrade gears in high RPM...imagine driving in between cars in traffic and you ‎will get the picture

But I don’t think it should happen if you’re driving in the D mode with low speed.‎

Old 01-17-2008, 09:22 AM
I think I'll contact the dealer or have them take a look at the trans in the next few weeks.
I don't think it should be such a rough downshift into 1st when just driving in normal D mode. Other autos, in lesser/cheaper cars, don't seem to do this.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:24 AM
i think it's normal and i have 05 g coupe. (in manual mode that is)
it seems like it might be worth taking it to a dealer since it's happening while in D mode. let us know how it goes

Old 03-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blbncsu
I think I'll contact the dealer or have them take a look at the trans in the next few weeks.
I don't think it should be such a rough downshift into 1st when just driving in normal D mode. Other autos, in lesser/cheaper cars, don't seem to do this.

Did u hear back from the dealer? I still have this issue when driving in D mode.

Thanks

Old 03-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Took it in for its first oil change and had the dealer look into the issue. They checked all compuetrs and didn't find any fault codes. They said they could feel the issue and went and drove another new 08 off the lot and it felt the same. So they couldn't come up with any problems. Its all under warranty for a long time so at least if it gets worse its covered. Not exactly what I was hoping for but oh well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Jerking trans shifting to 1st and stopping