G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Intelligent key question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intelligent key question

How far is one supposed to be able to roam with the intelligent key before the car cuts itself off? I have walked several hundred feet from my car and it keeps running. I left my wife in the car the last time I walked away and she reported seeing a "bad key" indicator light on the dash control panel.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The car doesn't shut off no matter where the key is.

Who/what told you the car would shut off?

Old 02-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah you can go to China it will run till you have gas in it.

tg

Old 02-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by hyukki
The car doesn't shut off no matter where the key is.

Who/what told you the car would shut off?
Nobody told me that. I just assumed it would be an anti-theft device. Like if you were dumb enough to stop at a 7-Eleven for a newspaper and leave your car running someone couldn't jump in and drive away. Or getting car jacked. I haven't figured out what makes my key so intelligent.

Last edited by Infinitude; 02-20-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Infinitude
Nobody told me that. I just assumed it would be an anti-theft device. Like if you were dumb enough to stop at a 7-Eleven for a newspaper and leave your car running someone couldn't jump in and drive away. Or getting car jacked. I haven't figured out what makes my key so intelligent.
I'm dumb enough to stop at a 7-eleven to get a newspaper and leave the car running every morning. But I'm intelligent enough to know that I have to lock it. Technology is what it is. But there's always human error that can take place (be it in the creation, production, or use of it). I personally love my i-key.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The rule is: if you leave your car started then lock the doors. With the intelligent key in your pocket, you can still come back and open the doors via the button on the door handle or the button on the intelligent key itself. But I agree with you, wish there was an automatic shutoff if the car was without the I-key for an approximate time.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by longbutthair
I'm dumb enough to stop at a 7-eleven to get a newspaper and leave the car running every morning. But I'm intelligent enough to know that I have to lock it. Technology is what it is. But there's always human error that can take place (be it in the creation, production, or use of it). I personally love my i-key.
Well its heavier and bulkier than my old key (03 sedan). And its a king's ransom to replace it if you lose it. Passengers in my car seem to be impressed by the starter button. To me it seems like technology for its own sake.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by TaBzRx
But I agree with you, wish there was an automatic shutoff if the car was without the I-key for an approximate time.
Yeah, if you got carjacked...the thief would drive a block or two and the car would die. Makes sense to me too. You'd turn the car over to the jacker to keep from getting shot and then you could almost immediately retrieve your car. What carjacker is going to stick around for a dead car?

Old 02-20-2008, 03:34 PM
I love my i-key as well. What makes it intelligent is that it never has to come out of your pocket. I rarely do...locking...unlocking...starting...stopping...o pening trunk...the whole thing.

As for your 7-Eleven example...with your previous car did you frequently stop and leave the car running unlocked with the key in it? Same thing in my mind...its a process problem, not the keys fault.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by TheIvoryG
As for your 7-Eleven example...with your previous car did you frequently stop and leave the car running unlocked with the key in it? Same thing in my mind...its a process problem, not the keys fault.
No problem really. If anything, the I-key is a solution in search of a problem. Much like text messaging.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by TheIvoryG
I love my i-key as well. What makes it intelligent is that it never has to come out of your pocket. I rarely do...locking...unlocking...starting...stopping...o pening trunk...the whole thing.

Agreed.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Why would you assume that a key is an anti-theft device?

Old 02-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What makes the key so intelligent? Besides the obvious benefits stated above, if you drop your key in the car or in the trunk, the key prevents the door from locking or the trunk from closing. I've done both with my previous cars and had to wait for someone to drive to me and give me the spare key. This is no longer going to happen. Also each key can be programmed to different seat settings, so if your significat other borrows the car and she unlocks it via the button on the door or the button on her key, the seat adjusts to her setting.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:14 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
For safety reasons, distance from fob to car will not kill the engine.
What if your fob's battery went dead while doing 90?
do you want the engine shutting off at 90 mph???

Old 02-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Well its heavier and bulkier than my old key (03 sedan). And its a king's ransom to replace it if you lose it. Passengers in my car seem to be impressed by the starter button. To me it seems like technology for its own sake.
I don't agree - love not having to do anything with the key other than walk up to the car. Key stays in my pocket, it leaves with me - car will start when I'm around, won't when I'm not.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intelligent key question