G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Intelligent Cruise Control Acting Strangely

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intelligent Cruise Control Acting Strangely

I brought my car in to get the clutch slave thing recall done and also the TSB for cruise control surge. The day that I get it back from Infiniti service, I used the ICC to drive down to LA. When the ICC is on and I'm driving in the fast lane, I started to notice that the sensor would pick up on trucks in front of me, but in the right lane! Then the car would slow down very quickly thicking that I was about to hit something, even when the lane in front of me is clear. I'm sure this pissed off several people following behind me. This did not happen before I got the service done and I called the service manager this morning to explain what had happened and he says that's normal. He suggested that I call Infiniti headquarters and let them know, but this is a common thing according to him but I repeatedly said that this was never a problem before I got the TSB done.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 03-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts
G35x
Maybe ICC sensor is out of alignment if it is picking up cars in the right lane? Does work order show it being replaced?

Old 03-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats what i was gonna say..if its picking up larger vehicles in the other lane maybe it has to be re calibrated or aligned?

Old 03-03-2008, 04:12 PM
This is what I'm thinking as well, but the service guy's response has me a little bothered. I too think it needs to be recalibrated. It doesn't sound like anyone else out there that has ans uses ICC has any similar problems, right?

Old 03-03-2008, 05:21 PM
It sounds like you have a lousy/lazy service manager. Can you talk to his boss? If it is behaving differently then something changed, I would pursue this at your Dealer. Have him call the Infiniti headquarters.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by cnugs127
This is what I'm thinking as well, but the service guy's response has me a little bothered. I too think it needs to be recalibrated. It doesn't sound like anyone else out there that has ans uses ICC has any similar problems, right?
I use ICC often on trips down to LA and have never had it react to vehicles in other lanes, even as rounding curves. I think the service guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had this same problem soon after I got the cruise control TSB and they replaced my ICC sensor. I just thought it was the weather or something so I let it go. I havent really used cruise control lately because I'm always in rush hour traffic. I'll try it out tonight again and let you know.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:46 AM
its ur call on the guy your dealing with non of us have seen him or know what hes all about. If he seems like a lazy f**k stik that doesnt wanna get off his a$$ then you gotta say you know what " i paid alot of money for this car and im not running into a wall with headquaters cuz this POS doesnt wanna help me" and go straight to his boss and let him know SIR IM NOT DEALING WITH YOU ANYMORE.

I cant believe he told you to call headquaters

Its like you go to the gap and buy a shirt and you get home and it is defected and when you go to return it the lady at the counter tells you to call corporate??

In all fairness i would say that our automobiles is the single most expensive item we own (other than a house) and to me if something happens to it or something malfunctions i expect the dealer to fix it or replace it with a smile on their face.

Last edited by UltimateGee27; 03-04-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:25 AM
re ICC

When I had the ICC work done, I was the first that the service dept had done. It took quite a while because they told me that if it was not aligned perfectly, it would pick up vehicles in other lanes. Maybe that is your problem

Old 03-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by TaBzRx
I had this same problem soon after I got the cruise control TSB and they replaced my ICC sensor. I just thought it was the weather or something so I let it go. I havent really used cruise control lately because I'm always in rush hour traffic. I'll try it out tonight again and let you know.
That would be great - Thanks.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by larry.k
When I had the ICC work done, I was the first that the service dept had done. It took quite a while because they told me that if it was not aligned perfectly, it would pick up vehicles in other lanes. Maybe that is your problem
I'll give my guy a call back - it sounds like an alignment problem.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had to make 4 trips to the dealer to get it right, they game me a little attitude on the last trip saying it's me, but I asked the tech to come with me then I kidnapped him for 45 minutes and showed him how it doesn't work. at the end of trip he agreed it wasn't working correctly and they had it for 4 days working on it. it ended up being that the aiming board they had was bad and they had to get a new one.

I would HIGHLY suggest that no one have the surge TSB done... it's terrible. I will say that the calibration is back to perfect, however the new sensor is much more sensitive, it wants to keep you at exactly 20 feet and 3.2884" with laser precision. it's not as flowing as the original sensor, it can never settle in to a relaxing pace and if the car ahead of you drops 1mph, then the sensor tries to slow 1 mph rather then letting you get 5 feet closer then roll back the 5 feet. it seems like the original sensor allowed for 10 feet of sway so long as you were in that range it didn't need to kill the throttle or give it too much gas.

The one thing the new sensor seems to handle a bit better is when someone cuts you off, it won't over react like the original sensor did.

Overall, I do not recommend having this TSB done, I'd pay to get my old sensor back.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:28 PM
kring, thanks for the input. has anyone else experienced this and think it's normal?

Old 03-05-2008, 08:55 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The only reason i got the surge TSB done was so they would reprogam my ECM and fix the sensitive throttle issues. The throttle issues are now gone but I agree with kring, the ICC sensor is just not the same. I kinda regret getting it now. cnugs127 - i have yet to test out the the crusie control because it was raining heavily last night when I was driving home. I'll see if I have better luck tonight.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts
G35x
I would not have had 28a or 045 done either but I experienced the cold start symptoms of 045. When 28a was performed they told me my ICC sensor was not listed as needing to be replaced. It's funny my stock sensor seems to be touchy like your replacement sensor. I figure it's the nature of the beast so I'll leave it as is. I try to keep my dealer visits to a minimum.

What is the build date of your G? Mine is a 1/07.

I think the thing that bugs me about ICC is I can't tell if brakes are always being applied when it is trying to keep a set distance with a fluctuating car ahead. Sometimes when it is dark I can see the red leds light up for the 3rd brake light but not in the day. I just do not want to look like some idiot who is riding their brakes all the time when ICC is in use.

Originally Posted by kring
I would HIGHLY suggest that no one have the surge TSB done... it's terrible. I will say that the calibration is back to perfect, however the new sensor is much more sensitive, it wants to keep you at exactly 20 feet and 3.2884" with laser precision. it's not as flowing as the original sensor, it can never settle in to a relaxing pace and if the car ahead of you drops 1mph, then the sensor tries to slow 1 mph rather then letting you get 5 feet closer then roll back the 5 feet. it seems like the original sensor allowed for 10 feet of sway so long as you were in that range it didn't need to kill the throttle or give it too much gas.

The one thing the new sensor seems to handle a bit better is when someone cuts you off, it won't over react like the original sensor did.

Overall, I do not recommend having this TSB done, I'd pay to get my old sensor back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intelligent Cruise Control Acting Strangely