G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Help me configure a new G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me configure a new G35

Hi all,

I had a few quick questions when configuring the G35.

G35x - Does all wheel drive add significantly to performance? I don't need it to drive in inclement weather.

Does the Voice command of the Nav package work well? Do you think it was worth it? (I don't need Nav, but the voice command sounds pretty cool).

Does anybody have the standard speakers? And how much of a difference is it with the premium (Infiniti soundstage) speakers? How about the rearview monitors? Does it work well?

Sports Package - I'm probably going to get this, just for the rear limited slip. Is the difference in looks significant also? Are there pictures out there showing the difference?

4 Wheel Active Steer - Is this totally pointless for most driving occasions? If you had a choice, would you get the AWD or 4WS?

Do the taillights have a ring of LEDs? The pictures don't show this clearly, though the G37's definitely show this.

Is the G37 Sedan definitely going to be out this year or is it just rumor?

When's the best time for Infiniti incentives?

Thanks all!

Last edited by ctzpanda; 03-06-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you say you do not need to drive it in inclement weather, where do you live? It seems like all of the US now is subject to snow, rain etc... even if its freak storms or what not...

I prefer the handling of the X but that maybe because I live in Canada..the nav works well, I have not really used the voice stuff. The premium package is great, I think you cannot buy a luxury car w/o the usual add on features like moonroof, better sound, ipod such, I think thats just lame..when you need to sell it if ever, you are going to have a hard time.

The rearview camera is great I use it all the time.

Thats all the info I have for u.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by jdanielsg
When you say you do not need to drive it in inclement weather, where do you live? It seems like all of the US now is subject to snow, rain etc... even if its freak storms or what not...

I prefer the handling of the X but that maybe because I live in Canada..the nav works well, I have not really used the voice stuff. The premium package is great, I think you cannot buy a luxury car w/o the usual add on features like moonroof, better sound, ipod such, I think thats just lame..when you need to sell it if ever, you are going to have a hard time.

The rearview camera is great I use it all the time.

Thats all the info I have for u.
I live in New England, but I've driven all my life a FWD Camry, and I do just fine, which tells me I don't AWD, if not here, then not anywhere heh.

To be honest, I am buying this Infiniti because it's probably the only good looking Japanese vehicle that isn't insanely ubiquitous, like an Accord.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:22 PM
mmm if u get the sport it comes with bigger wheels and summer tires only... which I seroiusly doubt are going to be any good in snow.. so u would have to change out those summers pretty quickly. And because its staggered you would have issues with rotating the tires etc.. u gotta think about those things too.. well I do

In the east coast I would advise anyone to get the X, if you want, get the X sport.. they should come with all seasons. IMO its always better to be prepared regardless of what you think of your own abilities But then again I am not you, so haha if you think you can beat mother nature in a FWD by all means. I am less of a risk taker.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well ... the awd is good for bad weather... so that is a plus... but i think the rwd has better performance.. if you are going from a fwd then awd is better than rwd.

I am having trouble adjusting to rwd....

Old 03-06-2008, 09:28 PM
With the G35X now available with an S package, I'd go with a G35xS with Premium and Nav, since Nav now includes the rear view monitor. If you drive on highways a lot, Active Cruise Control would be a good one as well. I got everything except the 4WAS on my 07 and I don't regret it at all. Oh and I got no rear spoiler!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:32 PM
yeah rear spoiler is nasty LOL esp the stock ones.. and for people in snowy areas I suggest no tech.. the acc is rubbish.. it doesnt work very well in practise and is quite finnicy and basically if you get lots of snow etc.. it would be rendered quite useless. But if you dont mind throwing down 1k more just for the heck of it, by all means good to have just for whenever it works and resale value.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:28 PM
G35x - Does all wheel drive add significantly to performance? I don't need it to drive in inclement weather.
-AWD takes away from performance because more power is sent to the drivetrain and also since they're on skinnier tires also

Does the Voice command of the Nav package work well? Do you think it was worth it? (I don't need Nav, but the voice command sounds pretty cool).
-can't say from experience, but it sure does sound cool. just ask yourself if the feature is worth the money (speaking are you going to use it enough to get your money out of it)

Does anybody have the standard speakers? And how much of a difference is it with the premium (Infiniti soundstage) speakers? How about the rearview monitors? Does it work well?
-i've been a huge audiophile my whole life. started out on crappy alpine head units with audiobahn speakers and graduated to JL audio subs with eclipse lcd's and from a lot of experience in the aftermarket stereo field, i must say, the base speaker system is very surprising in a good way. every guy/girl that has ridden in my car always asks me if i have an aftermarket sound system. (and i only have the bass on the third bar)

Sports Package - I'm probably going to get this, just for the rear limited slip. Is the difference in looks significant also? Are there pictures out there showing the difference?
-sports package might be the most important package for your car, GET IT period. i've driven journey loaners, and every time i get my car back i just smile.

4 Wheel Active Steer - Is this totally pointless for most driving occasions? If you had a choice, would you get the AWD or 4WS?
-neither, i like classic RWD feel.

Do the taillights have a ring of LEDs? The pictures don't show this clearly, though the G37's definitely show this.
-yes, the taillights have L.E.D.'s

-it's probably going to happen but hopefully by then i'll graduate and get a GTR

-i'd say tax season (now) and around september.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
-AWD takes away from performance because more power is sent to the drivetrain and also since they're on skinnier tires also

-can't say from experience, but it sure does sound cool. just ask yourself if the feature is worth the money (speaking are you going to use it enough to get your money out of it)

-i've been a huge audiophile my whole life. started out on crappy alpine head units with audiobahn speakers and graduated to JL audio subs with eclipse lcd's and from a lot of experience in the aftermarket stereo field, i must say, the base speaker system is very surprising in a good way. every guy/girl that has ridden in my car always asks me if i have an aftermarket sound system. (and i only have the bass on the third bar)

-sports package might be the most important package for your car, GET IT period. i've driven journey loaners, and every time i get my car back i just smile.

-neither, i like classic RWD feel.

-yes, the taillights have L.E.D.'s

-it's probably going to happen but hopefully by then i'll graduate and get a GTR

-i'd say tax season (now) and around september.
Thanks! Very helpful.

I've been reading the 4WS is for amateur drivers, and pros will not want it (on the race track or regular driving).

Anyway, I might have to reconsider and wait if the G37 sedan is coming out this year (which will probably replace the G35 completely), or splurge and go for the Coupe now.

From everyone's responses, I will most likely be adding a Sports package, and that would be it. While everything else sounds neat, they just aren't going to be used much in my opinion (looks like AWD, 4WD is out, Nav is unneeded for me, and I love my music but it sounds like the base system would be fine!). What I would like however is steering controlled rotating headlamps... do I need an option package for that? Are fog lamps also included in the base Journey?

Thanks all.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Heres an article on G35 vs G35x
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....page_number=10

Based on group average times on the dry autocross, the awd G35x proved itself faster, surprising us with its rear-biased manners and lapping nearly a second (0.9 sec.) quicker than the rear-drive G35. In the wet the G35x fared even better, 1.3 sec. quicker than the rear-drive G35.

Go X

Old 03-07-2008, 01:59 PM
i feel the same way you do about the options...very cool features and technology, but i just don't use stuff like that. i own a 10 dollar cell phone w/ no blue tooth or anything...i just call ppl with it, i don't go online with it. base is all i need. tell us how you like the car once you get it buddy. take care

Old 03-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by ctzpanda
I live in New England, but I've driven all my life a FWD Camry, and I do just fine, which tells me I don't AWD, if not here, then not anywhere heh.

To be honest, I am buying this Infiniti because it's probably the only good looking Japanese vehicle that isn't insanely ubiquitous, like an Accord.
The control (or lack there of) of a RWD is not generally as good as a FWD in conditions that greatly decreases traction. The X version may cost you minimaly in performance and fuel consumption but if it's safety and the ability to drive in the event that you get a little or a lot of snow then it is by far a good choice. My 07G35x can plow through 6in of fresh snow with ease, riding on the OEM tires (which are still pretty new), and I have had to do that alot this winter here in Ontario. Good luck with your decision. You can't really go wrong with any G model IMO. Have fun testing.
PS
My buddy/neighbour has an 07 Maxima 3.5 and he gets jealous (he says) every time he sees me take off after a heavy new snowfall.

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 03-07-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
The control (or lack there of) of a RWD is not generally as good as a FWD in conditions that greatly decreases traction. The X version may cost you minimaly in performance and fuel consumption but if it's safety and the ability to drive in the event that you get a little or a lot of snow then it is by far a good choice. My 07G35x can plow through 6in of fresh snow with ease, riding on the OEM tires (which are still pretty new), and I have had to do that alot this winter here in Ontario. Good luck with your decision. You can't really go wrong with any G model IMO. Have fun testing.
PS
My buddy/neighbour has an 07 Maxima 3.5 and he gets jealous (he says) every time he sees me take off after a heavy new snowfall.
Good thing I am young and am planning on relocating to somewhere with no winter or snow! Some things in life just aren't worth it (especially here in Boston where it would be just as expensive as Cali, but with many months of crappy weather).

I may get the X if the performance really is there.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
I believe mlimg35x's post above shows accurate stats on the X out performing the RWD in some times but it's very marginal and besides, how often do any of us drive like that? I read stats similar to those somewhere else too but I can't remember where. If I can find the article I will post it for you. BTW, I'm pretty sure my X is only AWD at low speeds anyway.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Base has the fog lamps, but steering controlled headlamps are part of the Technology package. I believe you must first add the premium package before you can add Tech.

Sounds like you already made up your mind on the nav, and I would agree that it doesn't make sense if the only reason you want it is for voice recognition. Sure its kinda cool, but the climate control and audio functions are easy enough to adjust the old fashion way. Nav also comes with musicbox, but iPod interface (part of premium package) provides all the music storage I need. Also keep in mind that nav pushes the CD changer to the trunk (at least for 08, maybe not in 09) further reducing an already small trunk. On the plus side, the rearview monitor also comes as part of the nav package and would be nice to have given the limited view out the back (wish I had it), but it is had to justify the cost for the rearview monitor alone.

I almost passed on the premium package as well. I never used the sun roof on my previous car, and heated seats seemed silly in Houston. Since I will be driving the car 99% of the time, the memory seats and power tilt steering column seemed to be a waste as well. However, I really liked the SOW, iPod interface, and Bluetooth features, and the auto dimming rear view mirror with homelink is kinda nice to have. I also wanted the wood trim and Premium is a prereq. for the wood. So you will need to decide for yourself, but I am glad I got it (even if $2500 is a lot for the features I actually use).

Audio is a personal thing. Take your favorite CD to the dealer and listen to both the base stereo and the SOW. This test convinced me I wanted the SOW, but you might come to a different conclusion.

G37 for 09 seems likely, but your guess is as good as mine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help me configure a new G35