G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Convince me not to buy A G35x

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convince me not to buy A G35x

Alright G35x Owners, I want you to convince me why I should not by this car. I am coming close to purchasing a new car, and instead of being the average new guy asking for reasons that he should get the car, I am asking for the opposite. Tell me what you hate about your car; things that go wrong, things that you grew to hate, or things you hated from the beginning. Really, I just want to know every negative thing about this car. Please make reference to the year of the G35 that you are referring to (07 or 08). Also, feel free to recommend alternative vehicles that might compensate for the negatives that you have listed. Thanks everyone.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:57 AM
you shouldn't buy the car if

you hate tight handling, 306 horses and the control with all wheel drive. You shouldn't be asking people who love the car but I am a BIG BMW fan and co owner of one but they are a little more pricier then these cars. If you can afford a couple more $ then look at a new 3 series or a lexus IS. Do some research but I hope you pull the trigger on a new infiniti. I currently drive a 08xS.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
'07 - very little bad:

Pretty bad gas mileage
Trunk is kinda small
Seat heaters take a while to warm up (I'm in Texas, what do I care? )
Sunroof is a bit loud

That's pretty much it for me

Old 03-26-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by joex420
If you can afford a couple more $ then look at a new 3 series or a lexus IS. Do some research but I hope you pull the trigger on a new infiniti. I currently drive a 08xS.
I'm totally disagree that BMW 3 series or IS are better than G35. I think BMW interior looks cheap and small. The exterior isn't all that sporty. Same goes for Lexus. I do however agree that they are much more expensive then the G.

I got mine a few weeks ago and the thing I do not like about it is the passenger air bag sensor. There is no way of telling if it is on or off.

NamNhi

Old 03-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by joex420
you hate tight handling, 306 horses and the control with all wheel drive. You shouldn't be asking people who love the car but I am a BIG BMW fan and co owner of one but they are a little more pricier then these cars. If you can afford a couple more $ then look at a new 3 series or a lexus IS. Do some research but I hope you pull the trigger on a new infiniti. I currently drive a 08xS.

Yeah, I have had my eye on this car for a looong time. My dad atually owns a 07 G35x and of course I can get his opinion, but he is only one person.. That is why I am looking to you guys. He has had no problems and no complaints, however, that doesn't mean everyone feels the same way. So that's why i am here.. We looked at the BMW and IS as well, while he was looking and we determined both to be too small.. I appreciate your suggestions, thank you.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Wei
test drive all 3 again and again and again
bmw is nice but more expensive
IS is nice but small, real small
G is terrible at gas mileage, 07, 08, x, sport, journey, base... trunk is funky... some people have problems with chipping on grill/paint... we're biased here, so pick the G already

Old 03-26-2008, 12:37 PM
My biggest pet peeve about the car is the annoying sounds. Rattling from the rear driver's side window, tapping from the dash, tapping from the steering column, buzzing from the passenger seat belt area. Worst is that when I brought it into service, the sounds didn't appear that day. ARGH!

Old 03-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by CalsonicVQ
My biggest pet peeve about the car is the annoying sounds. Rattling from the rear driver's side window, tapping from the dash, tapping from the steering column, buzzing from the passenger seat belt area. Worst is that when I brought it into service, the sounds didn't appear that day. ARGH!
Isn't that always the case.. The disappearing problem the day you bring it in..haha. Thanks for the reply!

Old 03-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate how fast the car is. I hate when you launch the car no spinning tires. I hate people look at your car at the light. I hate people asking about your car and admiring your ride. .

That's all I can think of.

Oh yeah I hate when I sit in my car I just don't want to get out from it. I probably did about 20% of my milage in the car just because I can't get enough.

tg

Did I convince you not to buy?

ha ha ha

Old 03-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Put it to you this way, I was looking at the Acura RL, Infiniti M35X, Acura TL-S, Audi A6 and the G35X. We ended up with a 2008 G35X Sport this past weekend.

Only negatives I can think of are:
- Tight toe room for rear passengers
- Snug interior, when compared to the other cars I was looking at.

Here's the short version of my search:

-The 2007/8 G35 Sport was my original first choice early last year but the wife said no stick and no RWD.. (We're in NJ)..
-So I started looking at the Acura RL/TL-S, M35X, A6.
-Ruled out the TL-S as I don't like that 286 hp and the torque output through the front wheels. Too much wheel spin and torque steer.
-2007/8 RL is a nice luxury car. Nothing wrong with it in my eyes. Nice ride, relatively quite. Bigger and more luxurious.
-2007/8 M35X is a nice luxury car. Nothing wrong with it in my eyes. Nice ride, noiser than the RL. Bigger and more luxurious. There is a dealer with 2007 M35X's in Northern NJ.
-2007 Audi A6 is a nice luxury car. However, I was concerned with long term reliability.

We went with the G35X since the OTD would most likely be less than $40K (which it was by a long shot), with 1.9% finance. The M35X/RL would have been between $41-44K OTD. The A6 (2007) would have been $46-47K OTD.

If you are definitely wanting the AWD, depending on your age/wants/needs, you may consider/want the following as alternates, besides the RL, M35X/M45, A6:

1) Subaru WRX-STi
2) Mitsubishi Evo
3) VW R32
4) Subura Legacy line
5) VW Passat 4motion
6) Audi A4

Good luck with whatever you choose....

Last edited by geronimomoe; 03-28-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:55 PM
The windows will make hiss/wind noise when you drive on a freeway with speed over 50mph

Old 03-26-2008, 01:58 PM
What are your other options??

Negatives (2007 G35 sedan):
Unknown whether the past oil issues with the VQ35DE will carry over into this new VQ35HR

Fuel economy - not the greatest, but coming from a hemi v8, i am fine with it

RWD - unless you like to drive or have some fun, stick with the X... This car can be quite a handful in bad weather when youare RWD

VDC/SLIP/ABS malfunction - seems to be common up a few times, really annoying and actually really safe when it happens

Bose stereo - really impossible if you are wanting to upgrade to aftermarket, but i doubt you care about that

Lack of aftermarket parts - still 2 years out and no huge selection of parts!

2009 model is coming - with the newer 3.7L engine and 7 speed auto, unless you are buying used, or just need a car, its probably better to wait

Variation between models - 2007 versus 2008 - touchy throttle issue repaired in 08, no ipod in 07, reduced voice commands in 08, etc etc..

Stupid A/C keeps coming on when you cycle through various modes (common wtih most Nissans anyways)

TPMS - useless, doesnt show real tire pressures like MOST other cars do. And if it malfunctions, the reset process is rediculous..

Thats about it..

Old 03-26-2008, 02:13 PM
small trunk opening, seats don't fold down, horrible gas milage....

Besides that i LOVE my car, and wouldn't trade it for anything in the same class...

Old 03-26-2008, 02:20 PM
geronimomoe and minirx7 I really appreciate the effort you put into your responses, thank you very much. As for alternatives, I am looking at Acura TL, Subaru Legacy GT, and Lexus is250. My brother has the basic Legacy, not GT, and it is a great car. I really like the LGT because gas mileage would be greatly improved. I don't know how reliable the car would be though. However, I love Infiniti, particularly the G. As I said, my Dad owns the 07 G35x. I currently own a 2001 Nissan Maxima. I have also owned a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder and before that a 1995 Nissan Altima. I love the Nissan family and would like to stick with them. I also know Infiniti has one of the best service departments around. I feel the only drawback to the G so far would be gas mileage, especially with the increasing gas prices. Although, I would hate to buy a car based on gas prices. I am not ready to buy just yet, but I will be in the near future. I guess I will really have some investigating, pricing and test driving to do.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:34 PM
To speak towards the G37, while its out in Europe, the US is still getting the FX35 for 2009 although it will have the 7 speed auto. Even in Europe, the G37 sedan is still rated at 306 hp.

Its still unclear and probably doubtful that the US will get a G37 for 2009 although its entirely possible to get the 7 speed trans.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Convince me not to buy A G35x