G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Exhaust Note on Stock G35's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust Note on Stock G35's

Hey Guys... let me know if you guys have experienced this.

Sometimes when accelerating quickly from low to mid rpm range, I noticed the sound the stock exhaust system makes is rather... tin-ish/can-ish... kinda raspy... not the greatest sound I find.. :S

But the exhaust sounds great in the higher RPM ranges!!!.. just not in the lower ranges.. during mild (a slight bit quicker acceleration..) that I find it to be.. like this. I dont like it.

Its not always like this though.. just sometimes.

Do you guys feel this way?

Its making me wanna get aftermarket intakes and exhaust..

Old 05-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know what a stock 07 sedan sounds like but I thought you were talking about the coupe sound in the low-mid range... If you don't like that exhaust note then you're ****ed in the head.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by ninous26
I don't know what a stock 07 sedan sounds like but I thought you were talking about the coupe sound in the low-mid range... If you don't like that exhaust note then you're ****ed in the head.
If you dont know how it sounds like, then how do u know what im talking about? :S

Dont get me wrong, I like the sound the car makes.. just not all the time. Sometimes, I find, it doesnt make a nice sound... which im trying to determine if its just my car, or if other G drivers have experienced this.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking about posting something on this, I think i know what your talking about, it sounds like somethings grinding when ure accelerating at low speeds and appears at random times. I have to agree, its not a pretty sound. Not sure what it is though

Old 05-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wes_888
If you dont know how it sounds like, then how do u know what im talking about? :S

Dont get me wrong, I like the sound the car makes.. just not all the time. Sometimes, I find, it doesnt make a nice sound... which im trying to determine if its just my car, or if other G drivers have experienced this.
I know what sound youre talking about. I had an 07 Loaner twice now and I know what youre talking about. It sounds almost raspy, and a bit unrefined, but it also sounds raw at the same time. On a cold start take-off, this sound is much more pronounced, but you shouldnt be driving the car hard while the motor is still cold anyways, that is very harsh on the valves. I liked the sound personally, but exhaust sound is subjective. An intake will bring out more motor noise, but it will also mildly louden the stock exhaust as well. The Fast Intentions Exhaust sounds sick at all RPM levels, you should look into it.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought you were talking about the COUPE exhaust sound... but you are talking about the 07+ sedans.. Never heard an 07 sedan exhaust before.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What I have noticed is if you wait until the engine is warm , it has a nice baritone sound. But if you get on it while the engine is cold you will experience a raspier sound. It usually goes away once everything is warmed up.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Oh okay! Glad to hear its just not me. You guys described it quite nicely. A raspy unrefined sound. Its true though, when the car is warmer, I hardly ever hear this sound. Only when the engine is colder or during initial start up.

I find that sound a bit embarassing.. its like, your in a nice sport sedan, and then you hear this awful sound.. I cant help but think about the pedestrians around at the time thinking.. "geez, what a crappy sound coming from a G35".

Thats the last thing I want ppl to think about our cars. It almost sounds like, a cheap exhaust you find in cheaper cars.

But yes, indeed. Wait for the car to warm up, and it sounds nice again =)

Old 05-25-2008, 09:27 PM
A friend told me that these cars have some sort of flap that opens up in the exhaust at higher rpms which changes the sound. I am not sure if this is true on the second gen sedans. But the exhaust note is much more raspier on the G37 than ours, I really like the sound it reminds me of a E46 M3.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh okay! Glad to hear its just not me. You guys described it quite nicely. A raspy unrefined sound. Its true though, when the car is warmer, I hardly ever hear this sound. Only when the engine is colder or during initial start up.

I find that sound a bit embarassing.. its like, your in a nice sport sedan, and then you hear this awful sound.. I cant help but think about the pedestrians around at the time thinking.. "geez, what a crappy sound coming from a G35".

Thats the last thing I want ppl to think about our cars. It almost sounds like, a cheap exhaust you find in cheaper cars.

But yes, indeed. Wait for the car to warm up, and it sounds nice again =)
Huh, haven't experienced this; exhaust note sounds good whenever I hit the gas. How many miles does yours have? I've noticed that over time the exhaust note has grown a bit louder.

Also, guess you could argue I don't ever drive mine cold, it doesn't ever roll until it's down to 1,100 rpm and the temp gauge is moving...?

Old 05-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by ninous26
I thought you were talking about the COUPE exhaust sound... but you are talking about the 07+ sedans.. Never heard an 07 sedan exhaust before.
Yeah the coupe exhaust is to die for~!!! I wish my sedan sounded like that! I love it.

And same goes for the FX!! DANNGGG!! I just had my car serviced this weekend, and as a loaner, I got the fx. I revved that bad boi many many times cuz I loveeeeeeeeee hearing that strong, deep, BARITONE sound that comes out of it!

Old 05-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
Huh, haven't experienced this; exhaust note sounds good whenever I hit the gas. How many miles does yours have? I've noticed that over time the exhaust note has grown a bit louder.

Also, guess you could argue I don't ever drive mine cold, it doesn't ever roll until it's down to 1,100 rpm and the temp gauge is moving...?
See, the thing is, im not even flooring it. Its just during slightly above moderate acceleration. I never floor my car when its cold.

I have about 24,600 km on it so far ( haha, sorry im Canadian ).

I notice my exhaust note sounding a bit louder after an oil change.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by chilibowl
I know what sound youre talking about. I had an 07 Loaner twice now and I know what youre talking about. It sounds almost raspy, and a bit unrefined, but it also sounds raw at the same time. On a cold start take-off, this sound is much more pronounced, but you shouldnt be driving the car hard while the motor is still cold anyways, that is very harsh on the valves. I liked the sound personally, but exhaust sound is subjective. An intake will bring out more motor noise, but it will also mildly louden the stock exhaust as well. The Fast Intentions Exhaust sounds sick at all RPM levels, you should look into it.
Wow, I just listened to the fast intentions exhaust at youtube.. your right, its freakin sick! When you say exhaust, the catback right? not just intakes.

Have you seen this fast intentions exhaust on sedans? or just coupes?

Old 05-26-2008, 10:54 AM
I've experienced it also.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
they make exhausts for sedans.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Note on Stock G35's