G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Canadian 2009 G37 sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
You are missing one very important fact.

The rwd with dedicated winters will walk all over you with your awd with All Seasons in the braking department on snow and ice.
But throw winter tires WITH AWD and you have a tank

My last car was RWD with dedicated snow tires and it got around pretty decently. The hardest part I did have however was getting in/out of parking spots. For instance, if I was parked on the side of the street and a plow piled some snow (not talking all that much), I was stuck unless I shoveled out everything. AWD with snows will get you through that with no shoveling. It all depends on your needs.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
The thread got jacked long before you posted. The OP never asked for any information about tires. One question he asked is "how much difference is there between AWD and RWD"?
Except without a proper discussion about tires, you really can't answer the AWD vs RWD question.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by dopey
Except without a proper discussion about tires, you really can't answer the AWD vs RWD question.
Fine then:
To the OP - with all things being equal (i.e. Tires, HP, Torque and whatever else needs to be the same for this to be a FAIR comparison) the AWD IS better in the snow but will, theoretically, take a little longer to stop, from the same speed, than a RWD (with the same tires) because the AWD is a heavier car.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This winter we had snow a lot. I ended up snow driving 10 times maybe. All the roads were clean. Probably 20 times playing in parking lots. 10 times driving in the snow!!!

As I said there is a huge different between 2 all season tires. ultra high performance all season tires are not the best in winter but there are few really good ones( not high performance or ultra high). I am not here to prove my point but I had 2 times in winter when I stoped the dude behind me almost hit me with his winter tires the other with all season tires.

The biggest problem is you see only one type of all season tires.

On the third clip with the vdc off and ultra high performance tires looks like I am still in controll. That was just before I bought my new set of tires. The threads were worn.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
Fine then:
To the OP - with all things being equal (i.e. Tires, HP, Torque and whatever else needs to be the same for this to be a FAIR comparison) the AWD IS better in the snow but will, theoretically, take a little longer to stop than a RWD (with the same tires) because the AWD is a heavier car.
Well not always. I don't know if you know about it but awd have more engine brake. So if you just slow down with the engine brake the awd will outperform rwd for sure. Also you don't have to slow down that much because you can take a turn better with awd. You can actually floor it when you turn with awd. Well you have to be carefull with the RWD.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:21 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by tg1234
Well not always. I don't know if you know about it but awd have more engine brake. So if you just slow down with the engine brake the awd will outperform rwd for sure. Also you don't have to slow down that much because you can take a turn better with awd. You can actually floor it when you turn with awd. Well you have to be carefull with the RWD.

Thats cool. I didn't know that about the engine breaking in the x. Do you know where I can read about this online?
Would the engine breaking help if you slam on the ABS in snow though?

Old 06-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by tg1234
I'm not quite sure I get where you're coming with the engine brake thing. Engine braking, or wheel braking, you're doing the same thing, slowing the vehicle down by decreasing the rate of wheel rotation.

Otherwise, accelerating out of a turn can indeed be better in snow/ice in an AWD, but I'm willing to live with that difference for the summer RWD driving experience . And FYI, you can punch it through a turn in a RWD in the snow/ice as well. As you said, you have to be a bit more careful, but it's a hell of alot of fun.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I love that second you tube video of the G35x. Truly shows how fun it is to have AWD in the snow.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by dopey
Otherwise, accelerating out of a turn can indeed be better in snow/ice in an AWD, but I'm willing to live with that difference for the summer RWD driving experience . And FYI, you can punch it through a turn in a RWD in the snow/ice as well. As you said, you have to be a bit more careful, but it's a hell of alot of fun.
You are absolutely right. It is fun as hell. I did not mean to bash on you guys.

Anyways the AWD turnes on when you engine brake so it puts all down on 4 wheels. Most smart awd cars like that. You are right about the cornering. You better accelerate out of the corner.

tg

Old 06-27-2008, 12:56 AM
if you want the RWD get a nice set of snowtires and you should be fine. AWD with all-season almost negates the AWD IMO because if the tires cant catch whats the point of the AWD?

personally id get an AWD model living in Canada and a set of snowtires for the winter. AWD isnt "boring" you can still have some fun with it.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:03 AM
I run Blizzaks on my 6mt sport sedan. No problems last winter....and I am lowered.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:07 AM
Here is my 2 cents. Previously every vehicle I have owned (have had many, Mustangs, Preludes, TSX's etc.) I mounted seperate snows on rims for the winter. RWD and FWD. There is no debate. Four dedicated snow tires perform best for winter driving. Stopping, starting, turning etc. PERIOD! I do not advocate this but this time with my G35x I left the stock tires on this winter. Toronto was hit with the worst winter we have had in over 50 years. More snow then I can ever remember. Being that I do alot of driving, I was stuck in a snow storm almost on a weekly basis for a two month stretch. Let me repeat, I do not advocate not having snow tires. BUT, I was extremely surprised, almost shocked at how well the AWD performed in the snow. I never got stuck once, going up some treacherous hills and having to navigate around cars (BMW 750i stock tires and rims bouncing off of the curb, Cadillac CTS stock tires and rims stuck sideways both going nowhere.) Of course you have to drive cautiously and stopping distances are longer. The ATTESA system has to be one of the best AWD systems going, and I could have kissed the Nissan engineers many times this winter as I managed to get around during some rediculous snow storms. I guess my point is that even with the stock all season tires, the AWD will get you where you want to go, if you are carefull. Unfortunately, on a few ocassions I did pass some RWD G35's with the stock all seasons on and they were stuck. I even helped push one of my fellow Infiniti owners.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Anyone know if G37 sedan will come to Canada or not? plz!

Old 07-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by wangxy
Anyone know if G37 sedan will come to Canada or not? plz!
It should.....