G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

gotta tell this story (re: at the dealer today) - long....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gotta tell this story (re: at the dealer today) - long....

S0 i went to the dealer (about 1 hours from my house) to agree to terms on an 08 g35xS with premium nav. they gave me a great offer online and insisted that I come to their showroom before we continued to talk/negotiate. They also insisted that I ask for a CERTAIN guy. So I get there, and I asked for the guy, and he shakes my hand and immediately passed me off to the junior salesman.... no big deal, but I am guessing it is because I am young and I don't pass the look test for a high roller. but why make me make an appointment with a certain guy if your only going to pass me off? Anyway, I test drove the car. LOVED IT. came back in to talk about my offer and thats where it got shady.

he immediately began telling me that my acura TL was only worth a few hundred dollars. No big deal. Kelly Blue book says its worth 4200 on trade in value, or 6200 on private sale. Maybe i don't get those numbers, but those numbers are so far from 1800 that I HAVE to try, right?

so I very politely told him that I would go home, try to sell my car privately and would come back when i had more money. He got mad!! he said that i was 'disillusioned' if i thought my car was worth more than 1800. Said that nobody would be able to get a loan from their bank for a used acura tl. Again, i told him I disagreed, and I told him that I could go right now and get a loan for 6k for that car. I was polite and kept trying to diffuse his aggression. Heck, its just business in my opinion. I told him that I simply wouldn't be able to afford the G35 if my car was only worth 1800. I said, I'm sorry, but I just can't afford the car and that if/when i could, I'd come back.

he got pretty mad. Told me that if I tried to sell that car to someone looking for a used car, then I'd be 'robbing them'! I smiled. chuckled, and said, well then sounds like I'm at the right place for that! I wanted to say it more strongly, but I meant that if I would rob from someone, then I'd fit right in at the stealership!

So the story kept going, but I'll get to the point. He took me over to his office and told me that he needed to know what I could pay per month. and I told him that I would put 10K down to make this work. if I'd put less than 10k down, then I wasn't going to buy the car. So he adamantly said he needed to know what payment I could afford. My friend was there to make sure I didn't just cave to this guy's wishes (I know my weakness and when I want a new toy, i'm not the most disciplined, so I brought back up). My friend jumped in and said, 'the payment is not what you want to worry about (saying this directly to me), you want to know the total price of the car. This sales guy got mad and put his hand up to my friend and said, 'are you buying the car?' My friend said no....then they guy said, 'then why don't you let me talk to him, since he is buying the car'. My friend replied, 'I have enough cash to buy 2-3 of these cars if I wanted.' the salesman said, 'good for you' and then started right back in on me...talking down, telling me i didn't know what i was doing, or how things work, etc. so we got up in the middle of his sentence and simply walked out. got in the car and drove home. laughed the whole way. what a tool.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what a bad experience trying to buy a car...next time you go up there make sure you avoid this guy...even tell one of the other salesman that you refuse to work this douchebag just to make sure he doesn't make anything off commission

Old 11-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Wow what a dick, I always hear stories about how bad some of the dealerships are, thankfully both dealerships i went to were awesome.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
why dont you control the salesman. stop letting them push you around.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:41 PM
I'd say try another Infiniti dealer. This guy sounds like a douchenozzle.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
That is ridiculous, how on earth can a person sell cars with an attitude like that. I would be inclined on passing this occurrence on to his management and then Infiniti.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by express705
why dont you control the salesman. stop letting them push you around.

I think I was in control. He kept trying to stare me down, and I kept laughing it off. telling him that he wasn't offending me by telling me that my car wasn't worth what I thought it was....first he only offered a few hundred, then came 'up' to 1800. So I told him that I wasn't going to be able to make this work TODAY but that I'd try to sell my car privately and then come back. He was definitely trying to bully me, but i wasn't having it. I reminded him that my car ran fine....nothing wrong with it. I did not NEED a car, but i only wanted one and that I wasn't going to be pressured into a bad decision. he continued to get more and more hostile, so thats when I walked out. would you have handled it differently? if so, how. I'd love the advice as I'm a rookie

Old 11-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Which dealer and dealership was it?

tg

Old 11-08-2008, 06:05 PM
whoa

phone the gm and tell him to can this guys ***

Old 11-08-2008, 06:11 PM
you know, 85 suburbans sell for 1800. this guy's saying that a tl is worth the same amount as a 20+ year old suburban with 3 bent wheels and purple peeling clingyfilm tint?

Old 11-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by tg1234
Which dealer and dealership was it?

tg
It was near baltimore, MD. I'll post the dealership after I buy it, in case I end up going back there to talk to a different salesman. they did give me the best deal after all...I think I can use this to my advantage, but i don't want to out the guy on a forum just yet!

Old 11-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by nlens
It was near baltimore, MD.
Must be JBA Infiniti near Baltimore/Ellicot City. Try another dealer. When I bought my car I called all 6 Infiniti dealers in the region:
1.) JBA Infiniti
2.) Passport Infiniti (where I bought my car)
3.) Tysons Corner Infiniti
4.) Jim Coleman Infiniti
5.) Infiniti of Chantilly
6.) Infiniti of Annapolis

You cant take what they say seriously. I had people try the guilt trip bull**** on me (I got to feel a wife and kids, etc), and I quickly snapped back with an answer for each of there remarks.

Also negotiate on final price. NEVER what you want to pay each month. If you don't like a specific dealer let them go pound sand and move on to the next. The dealers are a dime a dozen in our area.

What are the specs of the G your trying to get? PM me if your not comfortable saying over the net. I can call the guy at Passport who sold me my car and he'll give me his best price right away (no BS'ing).

Old 11-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by 2008G35XSinMD
Must be JBA Infiniti near Baltimore/Ellicot City. Try another dealer. When I bought my car I called all 6 Infiniti dealers in the region:
1.) JBA Infiniti
2.) Passport Infiniti (where I bought my car)
3.) Tysons Corner Infiniti
4.) Jim Coleman Infiniti
5.) Infiniti of Chantilly
6.) Infiniti of Annapolis

You cant take what they say seriously. I had people try the guilt trip bull**** on me (I got to feel a wife and kids, etc), and I quickly snapped back with an answer for each of there remarks.

Also negotiate on final price. NEVER what you want to pay each month. If you don't like a specific dealer let them go pound sand and move on to the next. The dealers are a dime a dozen in our area.

What are the specs of the G your trying to get? PM me if your not comfortable saying over the net. I can call the guy at Passport who sold me my car and he'll give me his best price right away (no BS'ing).
its actually none of those! but thanks for listing some more for me to contact.

i don't have any dealers in my area as i mentioned. I live about 1 hour from the one in MD, I live 1 hour, 10 mins from 1 near philly and about 1 hour from reading, PA. I live in central PA. And I actually did negotiate a really good deal. g35x with premium, nav, sport, splash guards, cargo net, and illuminated kicks for 33755 (which included freight of 815). I was pretty happy with the deal. they didn't want to talk more to me unless i came in (to get harassed evidently!) to test drive and talk. For me, I was already approved for a loan, and i have about 5k saved to put down. i just needed about 5,500 from either private sale, or from a trade and I would be done. so thats where i was. i have my car listed locally and had a guy say he was coming today to drive and likely offer (his words). i figured i'd agree to terms today and tell them it was pending the sale of my car.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
that's why u never mention ur trade or ur down payment until the end of the negotiation or not till after you negotiate the price of the vehicle ur looking to purchase.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by orl-g
that's why u never mention ur trade or ur down payment until the end of the negotiation or not till after you negotiate the price of the vehicle ur looking to purchase.

I didn't. I didn't mention the down payment or the trade car until the deal was set. final.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: gotta tell this story (re: at the dealer today) - long....